in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Family, Friends and Loved Ones

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

topic icon Author Topic: Family, Friends and Loved Ones  (Read 40839 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Family, Friends and Loved Ones
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »

Condolences for the loss of your friend.
I'd never run across his site before. I'll be sure to look it over while it remains available.
Looks like he put a lot of work into it.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 03:32:39 AM »

So sorry for the passing of your friend Kevin. But as a Christian I know he is in a better place.
ip icon Logged

Kevin Yong

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the kind words and sympathies, everyone.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:48 AM »

Hi Kevin,
So sorry to hear about Don's passing.  It's very touching that you would honour his love of GA books and sharing his collection with the world.  I'm sure he would be happy to know his book will live on.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »

My pal Russell passed away last Friday after collapsing and being rushed to hospital. The funeral was today and friends and family turned out for him and to comfort his wife.  Some of you might just remember that I have mentioned his name on the forum as a pulp, comic and book collector. Russell had a close to encyclopaedic knowledge of pulps and S.F. as well as being a fount of knowledge on safe crackers and adventurers in fiction. I learned a lot from him on many visits to his home and at marts and cons with him going back decades. He was an artist and maintained a studio in Glasgow right up to the end and was still painting.  Although a lot older than the immediate comics crowd here, he was always thought of as one of the boys.  A sad day, today, but good memories.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. My sincere condolences to all. It's hard when all that is left is memories; but at least those memories keep some part of a friend or loved one alive.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »

Sorry for your loss of your friend and a member of our hobby.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

Things just keep happening.  My wife has been ill with some sort of flu like lurgy that's doing the rounds up here, which, after a few days gives you a cough that doesn't stop or go away.  The doctor can't do much and you have to wait it out.  So, neither of us get much sleep, even though she has moved into the other bedroom.  But she's at least up and about after a fashion now and needs to be as her mother has been ill and is now in hospital and had an operation yesterday.  We've started running about again.  And that is part of why I've not been able to join in as much on the site as I would have liked to.  Sorry.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:17 AM »

As always life comes first. Take care and prayers sent your way.
ip icon Logged

paxman53

message icon
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope your wife and her mother soon make a full recovery. Make sure you look after your own health as well.

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »

Hi Stephen!

I hope everyone is on the mend. I know what you mean about "Things just keep happening" ... you are cruising along OK and then its one thing after another. Hopefully you're heading towards calmer waters.

Best regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and thank you narfstar for the cough remedy.  That will either kill you or cure you.  We didn't have all the ingredients so adapted it using fresh ginger, local honey, squeezed fresh lemon and hot water.  That helped. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »

We found out my nearly 80 year old father has a tumor on his kidney. They are not going to operate. He goes next week to find out how much time he has left.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »

Our prayers go out to you and your family. May your faith give you strength. With sympathy, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:54 AM »

Thanks Bowers. April 8th is when he goes back to doc. Hard to wait to find out how much time he has. I hope he is still around and lucid when we go up the end of May.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »

Yeah, waiting is always the worst part. Please take care of yourself and your family so all can be strong for your dad. Hope the news will be at least somewhat good. With hope, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »

As Bowers says, waiting is the worst part.  Our thoughts are with you and your dad.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 01:15:54 AM »

paw broon, I know what you mean about the wandering and sleeplessness thing. My wife has had sleep apnea for years and I'm always heading out to quieter venues in the middle of the night for some sleep away from the rattle and hum. Always reminds me of a Jackie Mason routine where he talks about how he and his wife are up all night and she's getting food, and he's going to the can...neither can sleep.
Sorry about your father narfstar. I pray his suffering will be small...we all become kids again inside when we see their end coming, I found. The best quote I found was someone who 'did not fear what would happen on the other side' as he believed in a God who 'owned both sides of the river'.
I like that.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »

Thanks for the concerns. Good comment Morgus that we all become kids again when we see the end coming. I think it is probably that way for my dad and for me and the other kids. He is my daddy.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

The satisfying thing is that we are ALSO adults now...and can talk as men...fellow travellers down this long road. That was probably the  best thing that came out of my dad's illnesses...we would sit and talk and laugh as the time grew shorter...nearly got him out to see AFRICAN QUEEN one last time, but it wasn't to be...

A tip: you are going to play music to decompress during this time...I wound up playing stuff on the way out and the way back...it was a 40 minute drive either way...but pick something you are not going to miss for the next two years...because once it's over I found it took that long before I could listen to it again.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2015, 02:08:24 AM »

I did get some good news. The results show that my dad's cancer has not spread. They still are not going to remove it but are going to do chemo to extend his life. So I may get to see him a few more summers.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2015, 02:20:53 AM »

excellent news...enjoy the time...
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2015, 11:53:17 PM »

Great news! The wife and I send our best to your family. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »

That is good news Jim. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Uncle Robin
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2015, 04:01:50 AM »

It has just been posted on Facebook that one of own has passed away. Robin Olsen known as Uncle Robin is gone. R.I.P.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.