in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

complaining about complaints

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: complaining about complaints  (Read 16504 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: complaining about complaints
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »

My new favorite line is quickly becoming something along the lines of:

"I registered like a zillion years ago, and have never ever downloaded anything from the site -- but now I can't download."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »

Yeah I know boox. I check the user and it shows if they have downloaded since the switch over.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

Yeah I know boox. I check the user and it shows if they have downloaded since the switch over.

Narf, this is getting ridiculous, you know it is. If it makes me nuts, I know it makes you even moreso because it is mostly on your shoulders.

I propose that newbies not even be allowed to access most of the forum until they have introduced themselves in a specific thread just for newbies, and that each newbie message in that thread is screened by a dedicated moderator.

B.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »

I was thinking of something like that as well. It would need to be moderated as Boox said because they can just post things like "Hi!" or "How are you" (or God forbid) "how r u" over and over until they get the required number of posts.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »

I wish their was a way to limit where they can post. I can limit their upload and download areas but not post areas. I know another site that does not allow posting anywhere until intro so it probably can be done
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »

There. I put one back. Hush now! :P
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »

I never bother to look at karma. There have been people who have played with it in the past just knocking people down for the heck of it. It means nothing and gets you nothing
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 12:47:56 PM »

Here have one on me-lol

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »

Not EVEN worried about it!  I just chalked it up to ribbing.

+1 ya 'ol complainer you!  ;D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 06:12:27 AM »

Well I finally found out why I couldn't download. A glitch in my auto login and save password functions or a corrupted file was feeding the wrong password to the login at the download page.
It would show as logged in sometimes but the cookies or whatever were deleting themselves before I could start a download.
I redid the login files and it works okay now.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

Good to hear Captain.   
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »

Almost as good as a No-Prize:)

Almost...
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 04:19:51 PM »

I hate to be seen as complaining as I'm really only pointing out that I can't log on to the download site at all.  I've mentioned before that I know very little about computers - it's comics I care about and this site, which used to be so good, is, and should be, a great place to find great stuff and to talk about it.  It's actually becoming quite sad.  I can check in here to the messageboard and read or comment even though I don't have a lot to interest others but I become frustrated with these glitches and problems and am a bit disappointed.  I realise the sheer amount of hard work that goes into the site and would ask you to look at it this way:-  I can't donate, I can't log in, I've been a member for quite a while, I provided a tiny bit of help on a Rural Home comic, I'm old (and this is adding even more grey hairs),  I know bucketloads about comics, I collect the real, paper ones, I've written about them, been interviewed about them, given talks about them, met many of the good and famous (and a lot of chancers)  and all I would like is the ability to download some titles to enjoy and help expand my knowledge of this great hobby.
Sorry to go on.  Comments and insights welcome.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 05:10:16 PM »

Sorry to hear this, 200 x 4 = 800 megs to download is very generous. I really doubt anyone reads this amount, and this is more about collecting then reading. However, whatever the reason people download it does not matter. And of course its all free. if anything this is a public service, there are costs and time  to do this all. Perhaps, if anyone knew what really goes into making this site function, you may see the humor in "complaints".

You can always donate at: donate@goldenagecomics.co.uk which will provide you unlimited status, and smooth transactions.

The site will be revamped, in the near future I will have a compliant email, as this is not a thread I wish to continue. Enjoy this thread while it lasts.

I am not looking into newbie issues, other then donations because this entire site, has become unstable and is no longer scalable because of the growth here and the demands here (this is not a bandwidth or storage issue, but rather the scripts/coding here are terrible for sites this huge). The site can only be how it was if it stops growing, and cuts 6000 of its members. Of course we will not be doing that and are here to make the site better.

Newbies should work with the moderators on this, a total 800 megs a month is very generous for no contribution to the site in terms of a donation, help with the site, scans, or even messages (other then complaint ones). Not much more one can ask for not contributing anything, its already very generous as it is, and moderators will help when they have time, however I will not be looking in newbie issues only if there is a contribution in any form eg: scans, donations for an upgrade.

Enjoy the site as it currently is, believe me it can be more a pain then a joy, with the coding here and then to hear complaints do nothing for me. However, things are looking very good in near future.

Janus

I hate to be seen as complaining as I'm really only pointing out that I can't log on to the download site at all.  I've mentioned before that I know very little about computers - it's comics I care about and this site, which used to be so good, is, and should be, a great place to find great stuff and to talk about it.  It's actually becoming quite sad.  I can check in here to the messageboard and read or comment even though I don't have a lot to interest others but I become frustrated with these glitches and problems and am a bit disappointed.  I realise the sheer amount of hard work that goes into the site and would ask you to look at it this way:-  I can't donate, I can't log in, I've been a member for quite a while, I provided a tiny bit of help on a Rural Home comic, I'm old (and this is adding even more grey hairs),  I know bucketloads about comics, I collect the real, paper ones, I've written about them, been interviewed about them, given talks about them, met many of the good and famous (and a lot of chancers)  and all I would like is the ability to download some titles to enjoy and help expand my knowledge of this great hobby.
Sorry to go on.  Comments and insights welcome.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:22:31 PM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »

I think paw broon's problem is he continues to get an error message even though he has bandwidth and files because he has not used any yet. As an admin maybe you can contact him and see what the problem is he may need a new account.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »

Thanks narfstar.  I'm fed up now. I've just typed a long reply, hit post and it disappeared. Can't be arsed  doing it all again.. Except, I support wholeheartedly the work of the scanners and admire their work.  Also I trust Janus not wanting to continue this thread isn't just a way of avoiding problems.  By the way, Janus, at thetop of the page it tells me not to donate.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »

It should be updated about donations but I think the main problems with the scene are things like the coding. I've had several mentions from members that they either can't log into the main site or can't download even with available bandwidth. The site is still going through some changes and as Janus mentioned will be upgraded once again. Hopefully that will clear up the majority of the problems.
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »

In general site is not taking donations because the site is not functioning properly in certain areas. However, if users insist on donating they can and that is done at donate@goldenagecomics.co.uk and you will be upgraded to VIP which is functioning very well. I rather not do this, but as users insisted I have given in to donations however i am not promoting donations (reason why do not donate is still up), it is your choice. New features and site development will take 60 days. If you can not donate, scan, help out in anyway that is ok, in 60 days we will be fine for everyone.

Janus
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »

Thank you, that's a bit clearer.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.