in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

List of Publishers Wanted

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: List of Publishers Wanted  (Read 26871 times)

GoldenAgeComics.co.uk

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: GoldenAgeComics.co.uk
message icon
List of Publishers Wanted
« on: November 04, 2006, 03:01:42 AM »

* Do NOT UPLOAD any Comics PRINTED AFTER DEC. 1959 or Modern REPRINTS of GA comics

We are currently looking for comics by the publishers:

* Ace
* American Comic Group/ACG
* Ajax-Farrell
* Avon Comics/Realistic
* Better/Nedor/Standard/Pines Publications
* Biro Publishing/Lev Gleason/Comic House
* Centaur Publishing
* Charlton Comics (some titles are not PD, check the section for details)
* Columbia Comics
* Comic Media
* Comics Magazine Company Inc
* Croydon Publishing/Rural Home/Enwil Associates/REWL Publications
* D.S. Publishing/D.X. Publishing/P.L. Publishing (Canada)/FAST FICTION/U.S. Publishing
* Fawcett Comics
* Fox Feature Syndicate
* Fiction House
* Golfing Inc.
* Gilbertson Publications/Elliot
* Harry "A" Chesler/Dynamic/Home Guide Publications/Magazine Press
* Harvey Comics (but no Richie Rich, etc.)
* Hillman Periodicals
* Holyoke Publishing Company/Et-Es-Go Mags/Continental Magazines/HELNIT Publishing Co/TEM Publishing
* Key Publications/Timor Publications/Gillmor Magazines/Stanley P. Morse/Aragon Magazines/Medal Comics/Stanmor Publications
* Magazine Enterprises (M.E.)
* MLJ
* Novelty Publications
* Parents Magazine Institute
* Prize Publications/Crestwood Publications/Feature Publications/Headline
* Quality Comics
* Spark Publications
* St. John Publishing
* Stanhall Publications
* Star Publications/Accepted Publications
* Sterling Comics
* Story/Merit/Master
* Superior Comics (Canadian)
* Timor Publishing Company
* Toby Press/Minoan
* Trojan Magazines
* Youthful Magazines
* Ziff-Davis

Check the site - if you see the publisher/title there it's likely safe to upload more from that title - but note the cut-off date is nothing after Dec, 1959.  Some specific titles are empty and say they are NOT public domain.  Do NOT upload them Please!

If you'd like to read a bit more on the subject of Copyrights and GA publishers try this link - Cash Goreman's site.
ip icon Logged

stopper75

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: stopper75
message icon
Re: List of Publishers Wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »

Just a quick question regarding the "dead publishers"

I have EC Comics "Land of the Lost" issues 1-9.  Does the Pre-Trend EC Comics fit your category?  I would think the various horror titles from EC would still be copyrighted, but I wanted to be sure about "Land of the Lost."

Issue 9 for example was published in 1948 and came out at the same time as the Happy Houlihans #1 and A Moon, A Girl and the Prince #1 -- both pre-cursors to the more famous EC titles.

Thanks
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:21:18 AM »

When Gaines sold Mad in 1961 he still retained ownership of the rest of EC and was licensing them out for reprints till his death in 1992 when the rights became the property of the Gaines estate, l believe the rights to all the old titles is now held by Gemstone Publishing, and l would not consider them to be public domain, but the final decision is up to Serj
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:37:59 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

Tigger

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Tigger
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »

I have a number of Charlton comics, the problem is what issues are regarded as Golden Age issue. I am asking because a number of Charlton comics were published in the 1970's.
??? ???
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 04:07:00 AM »

Golden age is usually 1938-1959, so 1959 and before would be fine if anyone has Platinum Age comics (1897-1937) we will not say no  ;D 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:39:38 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:41:35 AM »

I'm not sure if I qualify as knowledgable, but here goes:

Magazine Enterprises, a division of Sussex Publishing.  Probably most famous for their A-1 series, home to the original Ghost Rider, a western hero, and Thun'da, a jungle hero, issue #1 of which series is the only comic ever drawn entirely by Frank Frazetta.

United Features Syndicate, a newspaper-strip-to-comics-format publisher.

David McKay Publications, home to the Phantom, Jungle Jim, Krazy Kat and other comedy & adventure strips.

Harvey Publications, a publisher that was targeted almost as bad as EC by Dr. Wertham for their horror and mystery line of comics.

Lev Gleason, publisher of Boy Comics (later Boy Illustories, starting with issue 43), and many true crime and law enforcement comics, as well as various children's genre titles, such as Adventures in Wonderland.

Superior Comics, a Canadian publishing company.

D.S. Publishing Co. another of the pre-code companies cited by Wertham for their crime and horror titles, and subsequently pushed out of business during the CCA purge.

That's all I can think of right now, off the top of my head, but there are quite a few more that I know of, just can't recall  who or what they were or what they published...

Cimm
ip icon Logged

dbillmanql

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »

I didn't compare this with previous lists, but from Mike Benton's "The Comic Book in America" (1993), here is a list of publishers that published during the Golden Age....

Ace Magaazine - 1940-1956
American Comic Group/ACG - 1943-1967
Archie Comic Publications Inc/MLJ - 1939-
Avon Comics Group - 1945-1956
Better Publications - 1939-1959 (Standard, Pines)
Catechetical Guild - 1942-1972
Centaur Publications - 1938-1942
Charlton Comics - 1946-1986
HArry "A" Chesler - 1937-1948
Comic Media - 1951-1954
Comics Magazine Company Inc - 1936-1937
DC Comics - 1935-
Dell Publishing Company - 1936-1973
Eastman Coloe Printing - 1936-1956
EC Comics - 1946-1956
Farrell Comic Group - 1951-1958
Fawcett Publications - 1940-1953
Fiction House - 1938-1954
Fox Feature Syndicate - 1939-1951
Gilbertson Publications - 1941-1971
Lev Gleason Publications - 1939-1956
Harvey Comics - 1939-
Hillman Periodicals - 1940-1953
Holyoke Publishing Company - 1940-1946
Magazine Enterprises/ME - 1944-1958
Marvel Comics - 1938-
David McKay Company - 1936-1951
Stanley P. Morse - 1951-1955
Novelty Publications - 1940-1949
Parents Magazine Institute - 1941-1950
Prize Publications - 1940-1963
Quality Comics - 1939-1956
St. John Publishing - 1947-1958
Stanhall Publications - 1953-1954
Star Publications - 1949-1954
Sterling Comics - 1954-1955
Street and Smith - 1940-1949
Superior Comics - 1947-1956
Timor Publishing Company - 1953-1954
Toby Press - 1949-1955
United Features Syndicate - 1936-1955
Ziff-Davis Publications - 1950-1957

Notice the numebr that stopped publishing in 1954/1955.....
Dave 
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:14:07 PM »

Just a quick note.  Some publishers, like Avon, occasionally used an imprint.  Avon's was "Realistic", generally found on the covers of their one-shots.  I have uploaded Dead Who Walk NN to the FTP, as a Realistic, but it should go in the Avon folder.

Another that I can think of is Biro Publishing, which, I believe was an imprint of Lev Gleason...

Hope this helps,
Cimm
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »

l did have a list of the publishers and the dates, although Magazine Enterprises seemed to be a bit out and l went with the earlier date.....still working my way through the rest unfortunately so it might take a while to get any new publishers up  ::)
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »

Land of the Lost was a licensed title -- it was a popular children's radio show -- and definitely fit in with Max Gaines' idea of more educational children's publications, as opposed to William Gaines' desire for profitability and a more adult sensibility.

the Land of the Lost radio show (or at least episodes) are available on various old-time radio sites, so I'd imagine that there are no renewed copyrights on the material.  So those early EC's are most likely PD.  Given that Gemstone has not republished them at all (along with the Picture Stories titles) would indicate that there's no current claim on them (after all, they've gone after everything else with the fabled EC name attached to it -- and some of that early material was really, really weak).
ip icon Logged

Jedsada

message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »

* Do NOT UPLOAD any Comics PRINTED AFTER DEC. 1959 or Modern REPRINTS of GA comics
Hello,
Just a silly question...  ::)
Since this warning was posted in 2006 does that mean that we can now upload Comics printed until 1969?

J.
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 03:19:36 AM »

this is what happens when you respond to 11 year old posts (from before we were called Comic Book Plus) that should have been removed years ago

the short answer is that "it depends"

there is no one publisher that has all it's titles "cleared Hot"

every publisher has at least some books that are Non-PD, but in general the cut-off for most publishers on the site is the end of 1963. Charlton books (due to an error they made in their indicia) are generally ok up to late 1967 (Oct-Dec, depending on the title) and due to the same error, Tower Comics are ok up to when they died in 1969.

ONCE AGAIN Certain titles within each publisher are NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN, so before you try to upload any titles we do not have on the site already, make sure you clear it with an Admin. If you upload anything that is not okay, we will delete it.

publishers definitely not allowed are Marvel & DC. Also you'll note we have a very limited selection of Archie Comics as the rest are Non-PD.

Dell is another problematic publisher, pretty much any Dell that we can post, has been.

if you are looking for books to upload, I strongly suggest using the Wanted List :

https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=11822.0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:38:32 AM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:46:04 PM »

If you are talking Euro comics you will need to check with Mark and Paw. The laws are much different and the titles handled differently.
ip icon Logged

micko

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: micko
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »

hi im pretty new to all this and have a treasure trove of old and new and in between comics, so my question pertains to this thread in that. Is it ok to post any comic that doesnt have a product disclosure in the indicia?. thanks
ip icon Logged

Kracalactaka

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Kracalactaka
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 12:23:08 AM »

This thread is woefully out of date.

Please use the wanted comics list thread to find out what is needed for PD Comics here on CB+

https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=11822.0

also, I am sending you a PM with more details.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:30:11 AM by Kracalactaka »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.