in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 714109 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2300 on: September 11, 2014, 03:55:34 AM »

You really SHOULD NOT give away the ending of that one PINK PANTHER movie.  One of the funniest jokes in there depends on it being a complete surprise if you haven't seen it before.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2301 on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:40 AM »

The last 3 days:

GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS
GIGANTIS, THE FIRE MONSTER
KING KONG VS. GODZILLA

I'm really, really overdue for getting ahold of the original JAPANESE versions of these films...
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2302 on: September 13, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »

You really SHOULD NOT give away the ending of that one PINK PANTHER movie.  One of the funniest jokes in there depends on it being a complete surprise if you haven't seen it before.

You know I really didn't think about it.   He's very clearly credited, right up front, at such places as IMDB and Wikipedia.   I guess that when I did first see the movie, some three decades plus ago, it was a bit of a funny surprise.

Apologies to any who haven't seen the film if I spoiled that for you.

Joe
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2303 on: September 15, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »

No prob.

So... a quick ranking...

THE PINK PANTHER -- a classic, like a Hitchcock film with less gloom and more humor. I LOVE David Niven in this. The only parts of the movie I don't like... whatta ya know, were added after-the-fact because someone decided there should be more Peter Sellers.  AUGH!!! Basically, last gasp of an earlier era. Wonderful and classy. (By the way, it took me decades to figure out that ski resort is the SAME one seen in the film FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.)  Oh yeah-- and-- insane as this will sound-- my favorite part of the film has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.  It's when-- instead of an "intermission", Blake Edwards throws in a MUSIC VIDEO. For no damn reason. Totally stops the film for 3 minutes.  And I love, love, LOVE that song!!! (So, WHY isn't it on any version of the soundtrack album?  It's on MINE, now... God bless computers.)

A SHOT IN THE DARK -- my favorite of the series. Why don't I have a copy of this in my collection??? George Sanders is so deadpan.  Herbert Lom is so... not. (heh)

THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER -- this is the "BACK INTO HELL" of the series.  Sellers & Edwards' careers were both on the skids, so they put their differences aside and made a TERRIBLE movie. And it put them both back on top.  WTF???  It's too long, it's slow and dull, the plot is INDECIPHERABLE in spots (I've seen it multiple times, trust me on that).  And the complete change in Sellers' performance and accent between films is inexplicable, and annoying as hell. Of course, the earlier films were before he had his heart attack, DIED, and was ressurected minutes later. So that might be connected.  I like Christopher Plummer, but he's no David Niven. And to this day, I'm stilll not sure if his girlfriend in this is supposed to be Clouseau's EX-WIFE (and if she is, WHY does NOBODY mention it?) or some other woman he's dallying with.

THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN -- the previous film was a hit, so they made another one EVEN WORSE.  Good God, I hate this film.  I know, I know, many don't.

REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER -- I was worried after doing a terrible film followed by an even worse one, this one would be the pits.  Shockingly... it wasn't.  How did this happen?  Probably my 3rd-fave of the series. I love the complex plot developments, like Robert Webber hiring a team of killers to attack the guy he hired to kill Cliouseau, just for a demonstration. And then, after such a big build-up, Clouseau dispatching the guy, WITHOUT even realizing he was in his apartment. And later, the redo of then then-current film "THE GAUNTLET", where the transvestite steals Clouseau's clothes & car, and drives straight into a Mafia ambush that blows up the car. Instant result? Dreyfus is cured and released from the asylum.  But before he goes, he has a run-in with Clouseau (still alive) who the cops think is a crazy transvestite. He escapes and goes home, only to find out Cato has turned his apartment into a high-priced brothel. THAT QUICKLY. And for a BRIEF instant, you can see Clouseau considering taking Cato up on his offer...!!! (Which I feel leads to the plot twist 2 films later.) The "funeral" scene is just funny as hell, when Dreyfus reads the euology.  Now... once things move to Hong Kong, the whole picture FALLS APART.  But for 2/3rds of it, it was incredible. Oh, and Dyan Cannon-- WOW!!!!!

TRAIL OF THE PINK PANTHER -- A travesty, an insult, and too awful to sit through. Joanna Lumley as the reporter is the ONLY good thing in here at all. I could not believe the "tag" at the end, for the NEXT film.  WERE THEY NUTS?????

CURSE OF THE PINK PANTHER -- Okay, this one was a SHOCK.  Why?  it was ACTUALLY FUNNY. In fact, if you cut the long, long scene with Harvey Korman OUT of the film, it would be nearly perfect.  (I wanted to KILL the director for having that sequence in there-- it's UNSPEAKABLY awful.) Apart from all the cameos (David Niven, Robert Wagner, etc. etc.) the plot of this thing is amazing, and very clever. I especially loved the bit where the killer from "REVENGE" comes back and finally gets a "big scene". But my favorite bit in the whole film was the cab driver.  Killers try to kill Ted Wass, and the cabbie yells out, "Holy SHIT, man, somebody's trying to KILL you!" "I thought you didn't speak English!!" "Don't you know French cab drivers are notoriously unreliable?" A chase ensures, and for half of it, the cab flips over on its roof-- and continues to out-pace the pursuing car, despite sliding along the road on its roof.  F***ING HILARIOUS!!! The ending relies almost entirely on surprise-- it's not really that funny, apart from the simple absurdity of WHO they cast to play Clouseau (IN DISGUISE). Overall, a great way to end the series. But really-- what nerve to have Joanna Lumley in 2 films in a row, playing different parts?

You know what I can never figure? WHY didn't Blake Edwards EVER do a sequel starring David Niven-- or-- more recently-- Robert Wagner?? (It was set up right there at the end of the 1st movie!)

By the way, I've seen "ROMANCE" once, but, didn't care for it much... and the more recent thing, FORGET IT. No interest.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:16:01 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2304 on: September 17, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »

GODZILLA VS. MEGALON  (the bottom of the barrel of the original series)
GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER  (actually disturbing and terrifying in spots... until the big "G" gets involved.
GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND (the serious budget cut really hurt)
DESTROY ALL MONSTERS  (one of my all-time faves!!)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2305 on: September 17, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »

Always loved Destroy all Monsters
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2306 on: September 19, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »

I missed it on its original release, but apparently it was reissued sometime in 1970, which must be when I got to see it in a theatre, on a double-bill with YOG, MONSTER FROM SPACE (about a giant octopus).

I'm annoyed that my copy, taped off a local station, has at least the first third of the final battle missing (damned local tv station butcher-jobs).  There's this one obvious CUT (you can see a black swatch move across the tv screen where some idiot made the chop), just at the point when Ghidorah arrives.  Everything before that is missing!

I think one of the things that really makes this movie for me is that it takes place a couple decades n "the future"... just like so many of my favorite 60s sci-fi shows like ASTRO BOY, THUNDERBIRDS and ULTRA MAN.

I was just recently reading that the "international" dub jobs done in Japan, which have been circulating for some time now, have apparently been JOINED with the AMERICAN dub jobs done when the films were first released in the US, on recent DVDs.  That's good... I'd hate to think only the inferior versions were available!  At the time the "international" versions were being circulated, someone misgtakenly descreibed them as "new dubs" that were "inferior to the originals", and that apparently was not the case.

Just watched TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA, the last of the original films, and another opne of the best.  After they got so silly with some of the early-70s flicks, I always remember thinkinkg this was the first one they'd done since DESTROY ALL MONSTERS that actually had a "tone" similar to many of the episodes of ULTRA MAN.  Inoshiro Honda (director) and Akira Ifukube (score) returned for this one.

Up next: the last one in my collection...  GODZILLA 1985 !!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2307 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

I watched SIN CITY. I had watched it once before but was more impressed this time. It was a pretty darn good movie. Has anyone seen A DAME TO KILL FOR?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2308 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

I just watched the premier episode of the new series RED BAND SOCIETY. Very unique kinda quirky and I liked it. Not sure it can sustain as a series but it suckered me in.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2309 on: September 20, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

Just polished off the 1st season of THE OUTER LIMITS with another episode I first saw way back in 1964 (not entirely sure if it was first run or rerun season)...  "The Forms Of Things Unknown".  The story is WEIRD enough, but, between the dialogue, the directing, acting, camera work... EVERYTHING... it winds up being one of the most BIZARRE experiences in the entire run of the series.  Also, Joseph Stefano's last contribution before he left.

Been watching these as a marathon, ONE episode wach Friday.  What kind of crazy luck was it that I should get to THIS particular episode... on David McCallum's birthday???   ;D
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2310 on: September 21, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »

I have found in the last few years that I'm watching everything on my computer. I've packed away my TV and my DVD player, because I never use them (and I have a DVD player for my computer). So I decided to get a new hard drive and a larger monitor and a nice chair for watching things on my computer. However, every website has its own requirements for playing video it seems, so I've been trying different add ons, plug-ins to get the video to work. Just when I think I've solved one problem, the whole thing crashes and I have to try out different solutions.

Of course, I could just watch all these videos on my small Mac airbook--which doesn't have the complications of a PC--but that would mean all the money and effort I spent on my PC was worthless.

I haven't yet tried to load CDisplay onto my new hard drive for looking at my comic book downloads--I expect some more fun there. Ah, Windows! Clearly Microsoft thinks we don't have enough things to do and they want to always keep us busy with new projects. Very thoughtful.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2311 on: September 23, 2014, 02:05:17 AM »

I got a new laptop and loaded a different comic reader and glad I did. http://sourceforge.net/p/mcomix is one I like a lot more. It is able to read zip or rar without converting first. AND even better it can read a zip file that contains several comics not just one.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2312 on: September 23, 2014, 03:38:21 AM »

Recently:

"THE TIME MONSTER"
"THE THREE DOCTORS"
"CARNIVAL OF MONSTERS"
-- the last Jo Grant story I actually like

"VOYAGE INTO SPACE"  (JOHNNY SOKKO compilation film)

"THE WRONG ARM OF THE LAW"  -- Peter Sellers, Bernard Cribbins, Lionel Jeffries, and a veritable all-star cast of English comedy character actors
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2313 on: September 23, 2014, 07:50:30 AM »

I got a new laptop and loaded a different comic reader and glad I did. http://sourceforge.net/p/mcomix is one I like a lot more. It is able to read zip or rar without converting first. AND even better it can read a zip file that contains several comics not just one.

I'll take that under advisement and consider it when I get around to loading a comic reader onto my new hard drive.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2314 on: September 25, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »

GODZILLA 1985

Wow.  (Well, except for the American army guys.  What a bunch of idiots!)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2315 on: September 25, 2014, 05:16:07 AM »

"To alcohol-- the cause of-- and solution to--
all of man's problems."

--Homer Simpson
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2316 on: September 25, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

Godzilla '85?  That's the one with the city centre battle between Godzilla and the Super-X? craft with the lasers?  If it's that one, it's amazing.  What a light show.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2317 on: September 27, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »

"Godzilla '85?  That's the one with the city centre battle between Godzilla and the Super-X? craft with the lasers?  If it's that one, it's amazing.  What a light show."

Yeah, that's the one. After a decade, Toho decided to get back into it, and with a MAJOR upgrade in the budget, effects, everything.  The only thing that really feels "off" is the dialogue among the American military types, sobered down by Raymond Burr's bits.  He has some of the best lines in the film, even though, as with the original, his scenes apparently only appear in the English prints of the film (although they were shot at the same time as everything else this time around).

I think I wind up feeling a bit sorry for Godzilla in this one, but also for that Super-X crew.  Once the Russian bomb was detonated in the upper atmosphere and their power was cut off-- even briefly-- they were screwed.  And when Godzilla deliberately tipped over an ENTIRE BUILDING on top of them... ohhhhhhhh man. Those poor guys.

I saw this when it came out, and was baffled when someone at work dismissed it without seeing it as being some dumb garbage for the kiddies.

What baffled me for years after was that Toho was somehow unable to get U.S. distribution for ANY of their later films, until GODZILLA 2000 came along.  (I saw that one in a theatre TWICE!)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2318 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »

I can see why TOHO could not get any distribution between 85 and 2000, the movies got old quick to the US audience. I can not really see any difference between any one movie and another.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Gotham
« Reply #2319 on: September 28, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »

I know there have been some hates of Gotham around. I think everyone should give it a chance. The first episode was OK and should improve like Shield did. I still like Shield but I am not fond of them now being the hunted outcasts.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2320 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:02 PM »

Sadly, comic book fans like to tear apart the very thing they love. Which explains the negativity directed at GOTHAM from a certain segment of the viewership. Otherwise, reaction seems fairly positive and the show has a promising future.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2321 on: September 29, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »

Just watched I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS again.  One of the weirdest things Peter Sellers may ever have been involved with, this is a satire on the culture clash of the late 1960s done in a way only a group of Jewish writers could have managed.  It took me 2 viewings for it to cross my mind that the entire 2nd half of the film DOESN'T actually happen except in the mind of the main character, as he's standing at the altar about to be married to a woman he's having second thoughts about.

Perhaps the most bizarre detail of the film is the "Guru", played by Louis Gottlieb, the intellectual "spokesman" of the Folk group, The Limeliters!  Apparently, he only appeared in 2 movies, both from the same producer, and both times playing a guru.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2322 on: September 29, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »

Ha!
I just watched I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS a couple months ago - and agree it's one super odd movie.
About the same time I also watched the depressing The Life and Death of Peter Sellers which had some good moments but all in all I can't recommend.  I'm a Sellers fan normally but that bio flick made him pretty hard to like.

I thought Agents of Shield improved as season one progressed.  So far I'm liking them as the outlaws.  If they can make The Absorbing Man interesting I'm really impressed!  I guess I'm one of the few people to just heard about the AOS spin-off Agent Carter that had a flashback scene in the AOS episode of last week.

New shows this year that might be worth a watch to you - Forever, Madam Secretary, Gotham, The Knick (HBO).
Undecided - How To Get Away With Murder, The Mysteries of Laura.  Saw a bootleg The Flash pilot that was so-so.

Still solid after all these years - The Good Wife.

I watched the BBC Broadchurch original - I might give the US remake a chance but I'm not holding my breath it'll be as good or better.  One hopes it will be better and more faithful than the abysmal US remakes of Cracker and Red Dwarf!  The US version of House Of Cards is unique enough to make it interesting.  I'm curious how close they will follow the amazingly good UK version that I can't recommend enough.  I'm dreading the US remake of Misfits though if they are brave with casting and writing I could see this being a hit, especially if they are given more than a couple episodes to make an impression.

-Yoc
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:07:13 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2323 on: September 29, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »

One thing I really love about the IMDB is being able to check actors' resumes and see what else they were in.  For example, in this case, Joan Van Ark, who played Sellers' mother in the film, had been Kirk Douglas' girlfriend in GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL!  (I've seen that film at least a half-dozen times and probably would not have made the connection.)  Joyce Van Patten, Sellers' fiancee in the film, meanwhile, had played Burgess Meredith's wife in "A LITTLE PLOT AT TRANQUIL VALLEY", a real oddball 2nd-season episode of McCLOUD.  Herb Edelman, Seller's partner (or was it boss?), was Robert Stack's boss in STRIKE FORCE.

The Lou Gottlieb thing still weirds me out.  I've listened to his albums all my life, and seen him in person twice, yet watching his scenes intently, his voice doesn't sound much like himself, and of course under all that hair it's hard to recognize him either...   ;D

I ran across the funniest thing about him last night on Wikipedia...

""After a brief stint reviewing concerts for the San Francisco Chronicle, Gottlieb moved to Morning Star Ranch, his 30-acre (120,000 m2) ranch in Sonoma County, in 1966. Folk singer Malvina Reynolds and her husband Bud had alerted him to the property. Many people will remember fondly "The Digger Farm," as it came to be called, and the impact Lou had as the "resident piano player," as he referred to himself. Gottlieb attempted to leave the land he owned to God. A series of court appeals culminated in the 9th district court ruling that he could not. The ruling centered around the fact that if God was named owner on a quit claim deed, there would be no recourse for the collection of property taxes. The finding, therefore, was that God has no property rights in the state of California."
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2324 on: October 01, 2014, 02:14:28 AM »

Still on the fence for How to Get Away with Murder also and Forever. I do not like Tia Leoni in anything she has been in. She is one of the most lifeless actresses. My wife even agrees. I loved the opening of Laura but when the kids were aloud to act the way they did without a good spanking several times I just could not take any more.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.