in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715067 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2350 on: January 09, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »

Over here with New Year past, some new series of old favourites are on our screens.  We watched the first episode of the new 3 episode run of Foyle's War, which is now set just after the end of WW2 and Foyle is still being used by MI5.  This was a good mystery and made many points about social values at the time and the repercussions of some Nazi atrocities.
Last night was the first episode of the new series of Death in Paradise.  Thoroughly entertaining, fortunately, as it took our minds off the raging storm outside.  A bit more work for Don Warrington in this episode, which is no bad thing and he looked as if he enjoyed doing it.
The Musketeers are back and despite reviews of the show being all over the papers and radio, we're just not that keen.  Richelieu, having regenerated into Doctor Who is no more and the new bad guy is played by Marc Warren. Interestingly it has been moved from earlyish Sat evening to 9pm Friday.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/musketeers/
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2351 on: January 09, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »

THE TERROR
FIVE GUNS WEST
GUNSLINGER
   (the "MST3000" version)
SWAMP WOMEN
NOT OF THIS EARTH
IT CONQUERED THE WORLD!
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
  (sound & picture NOT in synch!)
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2352 on: January 09, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »

I just finished up season 3 of the British show "Ripper Street", and I believe it to be some of the best television I have ever seen.  Seasons 1 and 2 were very, very good.  Season 3 simply jaw-dropping.

About 4 episodes into the Canadian "Strange Empire".  The premise of the show: women find themselves mostly without men, having to survive in the Canadian old west.  This struggle is contrasted by an offer from the local thug businessman to all become prostitutes in his residence/whore house.  As this offer is extended to young teenage girls, the show get a little weird, but I guess in context, that would have been reality.  Of course reality might not have offered much real choice.  Truly my wife likes this show a bit more than I, but the mix of characters and their motivations is relatively unique.  The acting is quite good.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2353 on: January 10, 2015, 04:52:24 AM »

Just watched one of the strangest movies I've ever seen in my life... Roger Corman's "THE UNDEAD" from 1957. It involves mezmerizsm, psychic time-travel, witchcraft, devil-worship, Shakespearean-style dialogue, and has Satan himself as a character in the story! Initially inspired by a book about reincarnation, it seems this may have inspired bits of THE TWILIGHT ZONE, TALES OF ASGARD, and DARK SHADOWS !

http://thisislandrod.blogspot.com/2011/06/undead-1957.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2354 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00:54 AM »

...the marathon continues...

SORORITY GIRL  (1957)
HIGHWAY DRAGNET  (1954)
MONSTER FROM THE OCEAN FLOOR  (1954)
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS  (1955)
THE VIKING WOMEN AND THEIR VOYAGE TO THE WATERS OF THE GREAT SEA SERPENT  (1957)

;D
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2355 on: January 17, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »

A PSYCHO spin-off I had COMPLETELY forgotten about-- the 2nd season episode of AMAZING STORIES titled "Welcome To My Nightmare".  It's about a young man who's positively obsessed with movies, and prefers them to real life as they're somehow "better"; he "knows how things will turn out".  He even brushes off the overtures of a nice girl who would love to have him ask her out.  His family thinks he's a hopeless dork, and one of them jokes (?) about having him institutionalized.  But one night, he goes out to the movies, and is mystified that a theatre he thought was closed down is open.  When he steps in... he suddenly finds himself IN the movie PSYCHO.  In the role played by Janet Leigh!  And he can see Norman's mother up in the Bates house, preparing to come down and KILL him.

He tries to get back in the car and drive away, but the engine won't start.  All the other cabins at the Motel are locked.  So instead of, say, running off into the desert, he tries to hide in CABIN 1.  How dumb can anybody be?

This was a stunning mix of new material and what, as far as I can tell, was bits of the original film somehow neatly spliced in.  It also appears to have been filmed on the actual set used in the films.  This was probably right around the time one of the sequels was done.

A bit of trivia is that his sister is played by a young Christina Applegate, a few years before MARRIED WITH CHILDREN debuted.

I hadn't seen this thing since it was first-run!  I kinda gave up on the series, as this was the last episode I taped (it's right at the end of the 2nd videotape I recorded). I was really taping too many shows back then.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2356 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »

Thought I'd do a quick scorecard for my recent TV viewing. BEST NEW SERIES- "Gotham"- Writer/producer Bruno Heller (Mentalist) has come up with another winner. Robin Lord Taylor is outstanding as Cobblepot and Sean Pertwee is a very different Alfred. NEW SERIES WITH PROMISE- "The Librarians"- An offshoot of the made for TV movie franchise. Good premise and cast. Writing gets better as series progresses. STRANGEST NEW SERIES- "Galavant"- What can I say about this one? Sort of a medieval/Mel Brooks-ish musical comedy. You'll either love it or hate it. SAYING GOODBYE TO OLD FRIENDS- This will be the last season for "Mentalist" and "Falling Skies". "Mentalist" probably should have ended with the Red John resolution and the last season of "Falling Skies" was pretty confusing. However, I'll miss them both. RETURNING FAVORITES- "Musketeers" and "Masterpiece Mystery". Marc Warren is an excellent Rochefort, although Capaldi will be very hard to replace on "Musketeers". The new season of "Masterpiece Mystery" started with "Grantchester". A priest and detective combine forces to solve village murders in late 1940s/early 1950s England. A bit similar to "Father Brown", but still quite good. Nice to see Robson Green again. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT- "Doctor Who"- I love Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor, but the writing for this season has been more than a bit substandard. The Danny Pink/Clara story arc had little chemistry and got to be somewhat boring. Other episodes were really hit-or-miss. A few good stories sandwiched in among the bad ones. I'm a big fan of The Doctor, but this show really needs to improve. WORST EPISODE OF THE YEAR-"Doctor Who Christmas Special"- Absolutely awful! Except for a quick appearance from St. Nick, this story had nothing to do with Christmas. The plot device used in this one was so overused it actually became very annoying. I found myself thinking "Oh, please, not again!" The Doctor can be many things, but he should NEVER be boring! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2357 on: January 19, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »

I can say ditto to most everything Bowers wrote. From the poorly written Dr. Who to the confusing Falling Skies. My biggest disappointed would be the confusing FS because I really liked that series a lot. I have not caught Musketeers but that is my error and I need to correct that. I am one of those who hated Galavant. A series that I have not seen mentioned was last years TURN. I enjoyed the Revolutionary War spy series and hope it was renewed.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2358 on: January 19, 2015, 07:01:03 PM »

Actually, even though I didn't see the point of THE MENTALIST continuing on last season, I found myself maybe liking it even more, once the pressure of the Red John story was taken off. During most of the run, it felt uneven. Some episodes were procedural--interesting cases, but not the A game--while others were Red John. Once the series was just about the procedural, that aspect of the show was raised to a better level--something approaching COLUMBO status (though obviously that's a bar that no other such series will ever reach). It's almost too bad that Red John dominated so much of the series and they couldn't just develop the whole Mentalist angle on its own.

On the strength of THE MENTALIST, I started watching GOTHAM. Granted, it's top quality--probably the best done comic book TV show of the current crop, from a purely technical perspective. I thought that Penguin's Umbrella was deserving of a mid-season break. It was surprising when they continued on and returned to formula after that. The break gave me time to cool my jets and when I came back to it this month, I wasn't so hot about the series.

Yes, it's a professional job. I have no criticism against it on any other level than that it's just not the worldview I'm into. With the return, I found it so heartless and nasty. And after that, another week off--so I've been questioning if I should tune it in tonight.

The kids on the show make me think of BUGSY MALONE. And there's so much stage blood on the series, I started thinking that this could just be jelly doughnut filling---like BUGSY with the splurge guns. If the series was played on that level--and nobody really got hurt (it is a TV show, so nobody really does get hurt in truth)--then I might stick with it.

But I'm considering leaving it alone and maybe binge watching the whole series instead, once enough episodes have piled up.

I quite like DOCTOR WHO and have no complaints--other than there's not enough of it. They should have a second spin-off series for the spring, just to give us something WHO related to watch.

Did anyone ever watch SELFIE? I tuned in a few minutes of some episodes--just enough until I could not take it and had to turn it off. Every time that I watch twenty seconds of it, my appreciation for Amy Pond diminishes by five percent. I'm down to 10% liking Karen Gillan--from being at 75% in the days of DOCTOR WHO. The SELFIE TV show may have been the worst move of her career. Unless people hate-watched her--which I understand is a thing now. So maybe a lot of TV shows are deliberately made for hate-watching these days.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:03:29 PM by jimmm kelly »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2359 on: January 19, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »

Narf, I completely forgot about "Turn". Yes, it was excellent and I think it has been renewed. IMDB gives six unnamed and two named episodes for 2015. Also, "Sons of Liberty" starts next week on History Channel Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2360 on: January 20, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »

CARNIVAL ROCK
MACHINE GUN KELLY
WAR OF THE SATELLITES
TEENAGE CAVEMAN
NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST

Man, am I having a fun week!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2361 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:02 AM »

Prof there is just too much new stuff that I have not had time for the good old stuff
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2362 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:31 PM »

I got my 1st VCR in November 1979.  That's why my collection is so huge.

My cable TV got cut off about 6 years ago.  I've watched NOTHING but my collection since then.

2 weeks ago, my last VCR gurgled its death throes, and I wasn't gonna risk some of my BEST tapes to that thing.  So, I found a CHEAP refurbuished one, and ordered it online.

But until it got here, I had to STOP watching videotapes, completely.  Which meant... watching stuff on YouTube, while sitting in front of my computer.  Which I've avoided doing all these years, since it's not that comfortable.

But in the last 2 weeks, I watched one Roger Corman movie EVERY NIGHT-- and except for THE TERROR, which I saw about 30 years ago, every single one of these are films I have read about, but NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!

So I'm really O.D.-ing on "NEW" stuff the last 2 weeks!  (New, for me!)

I've also been watching ULTRA Q.  Every episode in sequence.  The first 3 were in color-- the rest have been in B&W.  All in Japanese.  With NO subtitles.  I have to figure out what's going on just by the pictures.  The lead character is the lady newspaper reporter, played by the same actress who played "Fuji" on ULTRA MAN.  But with her hairstyle & clothes, she's a lot cuter in this one!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2363 on: January 25, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »

Just saw HIGH SCHOOL BIG SHOT (1959), a terminally downbeat, depressing movie about juvenile delinquency.  The only likable characters in it were, surprisingly, a pair of professional crooks, one of whom, a safe-cracker, is played by Stanley Adams.  When he and his partner are onscreen, it's almost like you're watching a completely different movie.  Best damn performance I've ever seen Adams give! It seems a shame the Production Code in those days did NOT allow law-breakers to get away with their crimes... it kinda "ruins" a lot of "heist" films, where you're actually rooting for the crooks to pull it off.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2364 on: January 27, 2015, 04:46:29 AM »

Just watched one of the strangest movies I've ever seen in my life... Roger Corman's "THE UNDEAD" from 1957. It involves mezmerizsm, psychic time-travel, witchcraft, devil-worship, Shakespearean-style dialogue, and has Satan himself as a character in the story! Initially inspired by a book about reincarnation, it seems this may have inspired bits of THE TWILIGHT ZONE, TALES OF ASGARD, and DARK SHADOWS !

http://thisislandrod.blogspot.com/2011/06/undead-1957.html

Watched this film just recently. I'd seen it many years ago and it was one of the more memorable low budget efforts of its day.
Another strange one is "the Mask" AKA "Eyes of Hell".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mask_(1961_film)

From the looks of it we have much the same tastes in films, I've watched a number of the films you listed in the last year or so.

I liked the way the Blood Beast was grimly determined to save the human race if he had to kill all of us to do it. Very alien mind at work there.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2365 on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »

For some reason we were never fans of Silent Witness but last night, having read a preview of this new 2-parter, we tuned in, and it was worthwhile.  Taut, gory at times - autopsies,other stuff - complicated with Russian oligarchs, Russian agents, a vigilante group and dodgy goings on by a hig place person influancing the police investigation.  Part 2 tonight.  Looking forard to it, so I hope it doesn't disappoint. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051hgg5
Later this week, another Death in Paradise which is becoming a bit predictable but still funny enough and with beautiful scenery to make a pleasant hour's tv.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2366 on: January 27, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »

What a week...

THE BRAIN EATERS
T-BIRD GANG
HIGH SCHOOL BIG SHOT
BATTLE BEYOND THE SUN
ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES
A BUCKET OF BLOOD
THE WASP WOMAN

Amazingly, THE BRAIN EATERS had the exact same plot as NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST, in that an alien (in this case, from under the Earth) mind-controls a human, convincing him it's in mankind's best interests for the ALIEN to take over the entire planet.

T-BIRD GANG has Ed Nelson switch from hero to main villain.

BATTLE BEYOND THE SUN was the Russian space exploration epic redubbed by Francis Ford Coppola, with a pair of genitalia monsters added in one sequence. I'm looking forward at some point to seeing a LOT more of these early sci-fi space flicks I have never seen before, once I'm done with the Roger Corman stuff.

ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES' main interest was the contrast between the "good" romantic couple and the "bad" one. I've read that any film Corman was involved in, he always made strong characters the main focus, which helped "sell" the genre stuff, no matter how tacky it might be.

A BUCKET OF BLOOD is the only one on this list I've seen before-- TWICE before!  It's actually the very 1st Corman film I ever saw, way back in 1968 when Philly's SCREAM-IN debuted late Saturday nights with Dr. Shock.  I saw it again about 7 years ago on TCM, and was surprised to see The Limeliters' Alex Hassilev as the folk singer in the coffee bar.

THE WASP WOMAN looks to me like it may have been one of the major influences for Jack Kirby's "The Wasp", although his "Jan" has a personality much more like the shrunken princess in 7TH VOYAGE FOR SINBAD.  The eccentric scientist is played by the same guy who played the father of the little girl killed in the 1931 FRANKENSTEIN !
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2367 on: February 03, 2015, 01:44:15 AM »

Tonight's movie:

"Come on, baby. Give me one more chance to explain things."
"Sure, why not. It doesn't matter where you go, or what you do, or who you KILL, I'll always love you baby, 'til the day I die."
"GROWWWWWWL!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!"

;D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2368 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:29 PM »

THE BRAIN EATERS
T-BIRD GANG
HIGH SCHOOL BIG SHOT
BATTLE BEYOND THE SUN
ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES
A BUCKET OF BLOOD
THE WASP WOMAN

Once again proof we have the same taste in old movies.
Except for "High school big Shot" which I didn't watch all the way through.

I liked "Attack of the Giant Leeches", I first saw it as a youngster and it was horrifying for a kid to watch.
The slow moving and innocuous appearance of the creatures made it that much more terriying. Its a reminder that even such primitive organisms can overcome a human who is out of his evironment.
The method of feeding which kept the victim alive for days as their mind slowly disintegrated was the worst of it.
The illicit love affair and resulting dire consequences reminds me of many of the old horror comics.

"the Brain Eaters" remains one of my favorites.

Bucket of blood was on a double bill with "the Little Shop of Horrors". I have a DVD with both just like I saw them at the theatre so many years ago.

"Creature from the Haunted Sea" is another fun movie. The character I liked best was Antony Carbone doing his running Bogie impression.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2369 on: February 04, 2015, 04:31:09 AM »

The bizarre double-bill would be CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA and LAST WOMAN ON EARTH.  Same locations, same CAST.  Not sure if they were made back-to-back, or, at the SAME time.

Another douible-act like this is BEAST FROM THE HAUNTED CAVE and SKI PATROL ATTACK.  The 1st is a heist film (NO, REALLY!!!) crossed with a monster movie, whose climax predicts the one in ALIEN by 19 years!!!!!  The 2nd is a WW2 epic.  Same locations, same cast, and similar plot trajectory.  (In one, they're followed cross-country thru the snow by a monster; in the other, by German soldiers.)  Michael Forrest ("Apollo" from STAR TREK) is the hero in both.

And speaking of Antony Carbone... tonight:  PIT & THE PENDULUM.  Only saw this 8 weeks ago, but that was part of a Poe marathon that got interrupted by a very old VCR that finally broke down after 15 years.  Now I'm watching a Corman marathon-- my first ever (if you don't count how many times I've watched his Poe flicks).  The mystery structure of this plot is amazing, less a "whodunit" as a "what is going on here?"

Craziest NEW twist-- the scene where "Elizabeth"'s coffin is opened and they find she was really buried alive comes NOT from any Poe story I've read-- but rather, a STEVE DITKO adaptation of 2 of them!!!  (I'm not kidding!)  Either Corman or Matheson MUST have been comics fans.  Chunks of Gilberton's "HOUSE OF USHER" wound up in Corman's PIT AND THE PENDULUM.  So, considering some of the themes got recycled from film to film, now I'm having double or triple-visions as I watch some scenes!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:33:29 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2370 on: February 06, 2015, 01:33:17 AM »

keen observation
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2371 on: February 06, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »

Another douible-act like this is BEAST FROM THE HAUNTED CAVE and SKI PATROL ATTACK.  The 1st is a heist film (NO, REALLY!!!) crossed with a monster movie, whose climax predicts the one in ALIEN by 19 years!!!!!

I had intended to mention that one in my last post but couldn't remember the title.
Its actually a pretty good story, and not that bad for a low budget film of that era.

All these B (or C) movie horror films may be guilty pleasures, but thats usually the best kind.

LAST WOMAN ON EARTH

An unusual film to say the least, especially the final scenes.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2372 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »

When I saw those people plastered up on the wall of the cave, saying it was "too late!", I could have screamed.  That was the scene filmed but CUT from "ALIEN" in 1979, and reinserted in the "director's cut" 10 or so years ago.

Corman keeps being ahead of the curve.

I got the book BRILLIANCE ON A BUDGET 30-some years ago, and it's taken me this long to finally get around to seeing soe of these.  (The POEs, I've completely lost count of how many times I've seen them by now!)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2373 on: February 08, 2015, 02:40:35 AM »

Hey Corman made the first Fantastic Four movie and the story was not that bad. I had a little Japanese fun today and watched Rhodan.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2374 on: February 08, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

Here's a very early film in the "Mystery Man/Superhero" genre.  From 1919, L'atleta Fantasma (The Phantom Athlete).

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/9n52jvhcfzx6hcj/l_atleta_fantasma_1919.avi

Enjoy

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.