in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715020 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2500 on: July 31, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »

Paul Frees has been turning up on a LOT of the PHILIP MARLOWE radio shows I've been listening to, and in a variety of voices. As has Ed Begley, though I have trouble recognizing him.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2501 on: July 31, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »

While chained to the drawing board I binge-listened my way through the CB+ Philip Marlowe collection, It was great fun.  Many stories are quite good, especially the Chandler adaptations. After a while the writers get lazy. Instead of working for his clues Marlowe depends upon dropped jewelry, forgotten notes, and other deus-ex-machina contrivances.

It was fascinating to hear the two versions of "Red Wind." The scripts are the same except for a few minor differences, so one can compare actors and productions. Though Van Heflin is good as Marlowe, I prefer Gerald Mohr's deeper, stronger voice. The supporting cast is better in the Heflin version (except for a truly bizarre "Lt. Ybarra"), as are the sound effects. Both are quite good, though.

As profh points out, Paul Frees does a lot of work on the series. So does Virginia Gregg, an old radio hand who became one of Jack Webb's repertory company. One guy''s voice was so familiar it drove me crazy trying to identify him--and I said, "Of course!" when it turned out to be Jeff "Michael Shayne" Chandler.

It's funny how often the old Matchbook Cliche surfaces in these shows (and a million other series!). A character just happens to leave behind a matchbook for the Kit Kat Klub, and when Marlowe goes there he finds either a missing suspect or a vital clue. Back when my dad smoked, he always had a stack of matchbooks but none of them had anything to do with his daily life. Often people would give him matchbooks, or he'd find one somebody dropped (a clue!). I'm afraid if Philip Marlowe had gone to NAPA Automotive Supply in Everett, Washington, he could have waited forever and Dad wouldn't have shown up.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2502 on: July 31, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »

I've been alternating between SAM SPADE (Howard Duff) and PHILIP MARLOWE (Gerald Mohr).  I've been enjoying both shows, but really like Mohr's character better.  A slight problem is, I keep forgetting which ones I've listened to... but this isn't much of a problem, as so far, EVERY time I've listened to one ogf the storiesd a 2nd time, I wind up enjoyhing it MORE than the 1st.

It took awhile before I began to notice Jeff Corey was Lt. Yabarra.  This must have been before he was blacklisted.  My 1st exposure to him was STAR TREK ("The Cloud Minders"), but he was also terrific on THE OUTER LIMITS ("O.B.I.T."), and of course, he's the baddie in TRUE GRIT.  I've also seen him turn up on NIGHT COURT, in an Ellen Foley episode !
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2503 on: August 01, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »

I'll give Sam Spade a try. Jeff Corey wasn't Ybarra in the Heflin "Red Wind," but I don't know who was. I don't think the actor repeated the role. In "Red Wind" Ybarra only has a few lines, most of them stuff like "Mmh" and "Could be." But the actor sounds like he hasn't a clue what's going on. A last-minute substitute, maybe?

I looked Gerald Mohr up on Wikipedia. His entry makes interesting reading. I already knew Mohr had a long, busy career, but I had no idea just how many parts he'd played on radio and TV. He was even Mr Fantastic in the TV Fantastic Four cartoon. By far the biggest surprise was learning about Mohr's activities in Sweden (he spoke French, German, and Swedish). According to Wikipedia:

In 1964 Mohr, together with his second wife Mai, planned the formation of an international film company, headquartered in Stockholm, with Swedish and American writers. The company was to have featured comedy, adventure, crime and drama shows for worldwide distribution. By then fluent in Swedish, he also planned to star in a film for TV in which his character, a newspaperman, would speak only Swedish. In 1964 he made a comedy Western, filmed in Stockholm and on location in Yugoslavia, called Wild West Story in which, unusually, the good guys spoke Swedish and the bad guys (Mohr, inter alia) spoke in English. 
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2504 on: August 01, 2015, 02:17:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure my 1st exposure to Gerald Mohr was what became my favorite 2nd-season LOST IN SPACE episode, "A VISIT TO HADES", where he plays a convicted criminal sentenced to an other-dimensional prison, which just happens to resemble...  "Hades".  (As Mickey Dolenz later pointed out, "You can't say **** on television!")

"Morbus" (Mohr) drags Smith into his prison and cons him into helping him escape.  Apart from anything else, the episode is a rare spotlight for both Don & Judy.

But my favorite moment is probably when, in exasperation, he tells Judy what Smith is on about...

"Oh, the man's an IDIOT!  He thinks I'M The Devil and this is HADES!"

(I haven't seen this in decades!!!!)

I'm pretty sure that episode inspired one of my early comic-book stories!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:21:24 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2505 on: August 01, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »

Whehnever I read a FANTASTIC FOUR comic-book, it's Gerald Mohr I hear as the voice of Reed (ditto, Paul Frees as Ben Grimm-- and, The Watcher.)

I read somewhere that Mohr was considered "the most popular voice on radio" back in the 50s.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2506 on: August 01, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »

An actor I always liked was Arthur Hunnicutt. He mainly played western or mountaineer characters. He was the star of perhaps the most touching of Twilight Zone episodes "the Hunt".
First time I saw DeForest Kelley on screen was as a young punk gunfighter who angered by Hunnicutt constantly belittling him shot Arthur Hunnicutt in the back. Hunnicutt's last line was "I didn't think that little snake had the sand". The man had a beautiful voice with a slight hillbilly whine to it.

Just finished watching "the List of Adrian Messenger" for the first time in many years. Thats a truly well done movie with many A list actors. Masterful make up with each of the characters in make up designed much like old comic book art protrayals. I think the makeup designs may have been influenced by Will Eisner's Spirit comic villians.

Also found a download of one of the greatest Westerns ever made the original "Monty Walsh". The bronc busting scene alone would be worth the price of admission. The love story is one of the greats of the silver screen.

Theres a scene where Lee Marvin is simply walking down a wooden side walk adjusting his belt and buttoning his coat that displays more talent than most actors can muster for an entire film. The sound track is magnificent.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:52:48 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2507 on: August 01, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »

"the List of Adrian Messenger"

This is one of those I need to look up just to satisfy my curiosity.  I've never seen it... but I've seen the GET SMART version many times.  (It's the one with Pat Paulsen.)
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2508 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:44 AM »

"The List of Adrian Messenger" is a bit underrated. Yes, it's a little dated but still a damn fine tale. It could stand on its own even without the celebrity cameos, although these were really fun. Long ago, I wore out my home- taped version and bought a professional copy which was actually missing part of one scene. They showed a still while carrying on with the audio. Funny- my crappy home-tape contained the full scene. I saw this gimmick used again on some missing scenes in "Lost Horizon". Hopefully both these fine films have been completely restored. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2509 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:42 AM »

" Funny- my crappy home-tape contained the full scene."

Was it the scene in the airport rest room where the killer removed his makeup?

As I remember it till now every showing of this film that I saw did not reveal the killer's true face, so far as him removing his mask, till the very end. I think the film worked better that way, as it is finding out who the killer was so early made much of the detective work anti-climatic.
BTW
Despite the hype almost all the scenes of the killer in makeup were not the actor who played the killer out of make up. The actor in most such scenes was in fact  the excellent character actor Jan Merlin.
Burt Lancaster for example did not actually appear in the film except in the end credits.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2510 on: August 04, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »

I remember being a bit flabbergasted when I rented a copy of COOGAN'S BLUFF... and found the MIDDLE of one scene was MISSING!  It the scene where Coogan and the girl are walking thru Central Park and talking.  There's a reference, right in the middle, which explains the name of the movie.  And it's NOT THERE on the "uncut" version!  But the local commercial station had the full scene in their print.

I don't think this was a case of someone splicing in bits that were edited out at the time the film was made.  I've seen that, and find THAT to be annoying.  This felt more like there were 2 SLIGHTLY different edits of the film, and someone put the WRONG one on the videotapes.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2511 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »

Sometimes with older films a copyright issue with the artist who supplied music for the sound track can result in some scenes being cut from a later VHS or DVD.
Even if the film itself has fallen into public domain the composers and musicians work is still their intellectual property.
In some cases the company making a DVD will just mute the soundtrack at that point or have the music replaced. Thats not always economical.

In some cases a few seconds here or a minute or so there is edited out to give time to commercial breaks when shown on TV and the footage lost.

In the Film "the valley of Gwangi" a scene where an elephant is killed by a dinosaur was cut from TV showings in some areas because it was too graphic for the time. It took quiet some time to restore that lost footage.

With the list of adrian Messenger, cutting the scene that revealed the killers face far too early actually improved the film. It was not necessary to reveal the killer's true face in order to establish that he had been in disguise.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2512 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »

ATTACK FROM SPACE

Japan's answer to Superman... STARMAN! A sci-fi superhero flick, the climactic fight scene has to be seen to be believed! it's a combination of Captain America, James Bond and Bruce Lee all at once!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG9z_6thov0
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2513 on: August 04, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »

Back when FLASHDANCE came out, I went to see it many times (yes, I'm that shallow). Once when I was visiting a friend in Calgary, I told her we had to see FLASHDANCE, so we went to see it at a small theatre. And by this time I'd probably seen if four times and knew exactly the order of scenes in the movie, but during this screening a whole sequence was left out. I realized that they left out a reel of the movie and after the movie, I went to the people running the film and told them they left out a reel. They kept insisting that no they showed the whole movie, but they were clearly lying and I knew it and they knew it but never admitted to it.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2514 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »

Jimmm's note reminds me of the way American movies were edited community by community in the days before the Hays Office. Local censors would view a newly-arrived movie and simply chop out parts they didn't like. That was one of the purposes of the Hayes censorship office. The studios could send out "guaranteed clean" movies that (supposedly) didn't require review by local censorship boards--and prevent their prints being chopped to pieces by the locals. Nevertheless the big studios did make custom cuts tailored for different regions--for example cutting black people out of films going to the Deep South.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2515 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »

I recall 2 James Bond films actually getting cut in the theatres shortly after their debut.

In THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, there's a scene during the tanker battle where someone gets hit by a flame-thrower, and staggers around on fire before falling into the water.  I saw that film 3 times on its initial run, and the 3rd time, that bit was missing.  I never saw it again until I bought the videotape.

In THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, near the end, right after Pushkin comes in to congradulate Bond for killing the main villain, Felix walks in and does a surprised double take, saying, "General PUSHKIN??"  The 2nd time I saw it-- a week later-- that last bit was cut, and I have never seen it since.

I know in the case of the latter, they were fine-tuning the film as they went, as they were unsure exactly what kind of tone they wanted once Roger Moore was out of the picture.  there's an entire scene involving Bond landing on the back of a motorcycle (driven by a famous stunt-biker) in which a bucket of blue paint is dumped on the head of the local police chief that NEVER made it to the theatres.  Good call-- it was clearly too much in the style of some of the crap that wound up ruining A VIEW TO A KILL 2 years earlier.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2516 on: August 05, 2015, 01:46:39 AM »

Cap, it was the scene where Douglas was disguised as a prissy neighbor, coming in to "feed the typist's cat". It couldn't have been a copyright issue as the soundtrack was completely intact- just a few seconds of video were missing, and nobody was in the scene that wasn't in the rest of the film. The manufacturers were probably just working from a bad master. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2517 on: August 05, 2015, 02:27:33 AM »

In Canada, each province had its own censorship board. They would cut scenes from movies, depending on the rules set by that province and based on the judgement of the board. I knew a guy who worked on the board for Alberta in the '80s. I think this was phased out in the '90s--but I can't be sure and there might be some provinces that still do it.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2518 on: August 06, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »

Tonight on videotape:

"MR. FIBULI!!! You have FAILED me!"
"Uh, yes, Captain."
"When someone FAILS me-- someone-- DIES!!!"
"AAAAUGH!!!"
"Mr, Fibuli, I hope-- you will not fail me again."
"Uh, no, Captain..."
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2519 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »

Just a note to let everyone know Ant-Man is a FUN movie.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2520 on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:49 PM »

Thanks for the info, Narf. I was wondering if this movie was going to be any good. Nearly every show I've been watching this season has reached the finale, so it's probably time to catch a film or two.

This year's episodes of "Turn" were excellent with an incredibly good cast. I'm positive Samuel Roukin's portrayal of John Graves Simcoe as a bit of a sociopath can't possibly be accurate, but he does it so well one can make allowances.

Also enjoyed the new "Poldark" on P.B.S. As good as the 1975 version, better than the 1996 effort. Ross is still a self-righteous prig and George Warleggan is still slimy as ever. Good stuff. P.B.S. also showed "The Crimson Fields" , a soap about a field hospital in WW1 France. Not bad- hope there's a second season.

"Atlantis" was much better than last year when it tried to become just another "hack and slasher". Pythagoris with a sword? Really?

This is the final season for "Falling Skies" and they've kicked out all the stops! Tom is no longer the nice guy he was. Time to burn those skitters once and for all!

I heard the season premiere of "Sherlock" will actually be released in theaters- anybody know anything about this?  Cheers, Bowers/
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2521 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »

Falling Skies went a different direction last year and I did not care for it. Back to basics again and I like it. Defiance has also been pretty good this year. I reallly enjoy Turn and get the benefit of learning some history. I love to hate Simcoe. I do really hate their portrayal of Washilngton. I know he was not perfect, but their version sucks.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2522 on: August 13, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »

Tonight's movie:

"HMMPH.  My hero.  If you were a MAN, I would DIVORCE you!"

;D
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2523 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »

Finished "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell" on BBC America. Excellent series concerning two Napoleonic-era British wizards, at odds whether or not magic should be returned to England. Very good special effects and Marc Warren is a wonderfully evil antagonist from Faerie. Unfortunately, after an exciting buildup, the series ended somewhat abruptly. Less than satisfying finish to what started out as a very good effort. Still, it's worth a watch. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #2524 on: August 16, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »

My Summer series-

Wayward Pines-  turned out better than I expected.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell-  looking forward to next season already.

Falling Skies-  thankfully back on track for the final season.

Under the Dome-  has my interest waxing and waning.

Stichers-  a few episodes behind but am liking it so far.

Zoo-  ditto.

The Astronaut Wives Club-  a favorite this summer but then I was a real astronaut nut as a kid so I may be prejudiced.

Extant-  another one where my interest slips at times.

The Whispers-  on the disappointing side.  I suspect it won't be back.

Humans-  winding up tonight but I hope it will be back as I've liked it this season.

and starting next week-

Fear the Walking Dead-  I expect it will be a big hit but I also see that they are only doing six episodes for the premiere season.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.