in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 714087 times)

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2650 on: September 04, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »

The other day I discovered that a very good quality version of ARTISTS AND MODELS (the full movie) is now up on Youtube, as well as on other video hosting sites.

An absolutely wonderful movie and especially for fans of 1950s comics. Check it out--you never know how long these movies are going to be up. And finding a DVD for a reasonable price (or any price) has proven challenging thusfar.

Favourite bits: Dean singing and dancing with the kids in the street, anything with Shirley MacLaine and Jerry's special relationship with comics and the Bat Lady. The writers must've researched a lot of comic history and lore--maybe they had some inside knowledge, even though certain aspects of the publishing industry and the artist's life seem too easy. But that's why it's a movie.
ip icon Logged

joeychips

message icon
« Reply #2651 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »

My family and I watch the CW's Flash pretty regularly. Other than that, we haven't found anything that holds everyone's interest consistently. Plus we don't own a TV.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2652 on: November 08, 2016, 05:53:13 PM »

Nights are fair drawing here in Scotland and snow is forecast for tonight.  With that in mind tv becomes a bit more important in our lives.  We've recorded a few episodes of Private Eyes and very watchable it is too.  Also, Hooten and the Lady can be entertaining, but it's the British show, Paranoid that is really gripping right now.  We both know it'll all go wrong for some of the police investigating the deaths and the corrupt drug company. Excellent cast with Robert Glenister in fine form and the lady who plays the German detective is very good.  Dark, worrying and tense.
Don't know if this as accessible outside UK:-
https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/programmes/programme-planner/paranoid
or:-
http://www.itv.com/hub/paranoid/2a4254a0007
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2653 on: February 04, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

Feature films watched this past month-with a few scattered comments-

King of the Zombies (1941)-I have a mini Mantan Moreland fest going.  Mantan steals the show in this one (as he generally does in most films where he's given a chance to).,  Man of the West (1958), Eddie Murphy-Delirious (1983), Having a Wild Weekend (1965)- Following the success of the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night (1964) the Dave Clark Five were given a chance to do a feature of their own.  This one's very different in tone than the Beatles light romp and perhaps that's why it wasn't particularly successful.  Still worth checking out. , The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)- Good adaptation of the James M. Cain novel (except for the sappy Hollywood wrap up.  Very atypical of what MGM was doing at the time.  , The Grand Duchess and the Waiter (1926), Go, Johnny, Go! (1959)- Almost no plot but a great chance to enjoy performances by early Rock and Rollers like Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Richie Valens and more.  The latest DVD release looks great too. , Repeat Performance (1947), I'll Name the Murderer (1936), The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest (1997), Tale of the Zatoichi (1962) I picked up a nice set of the complete run of this classic Samurai series.  Plan is to watch one a month until finished. , Black Mass (2015)- Johhny Depp turns in a great performance as gangster Whitey Boulger but the movie as a whole is only middling. , Sahara (1943)-  Fine WWII movie with a good cast headed by Humphrey Bogart.  Parts of southern Arizona substitute for the Sahara. , Basic (2003), Irish Luck (1939)-  Mantan Moreland again.  When he works with Frankie Darro things click. , East is East (1916)- This has some similarities to Shaw's Pygmallion which was still a fairly new stage play of the era when this film was shot., Hyde Park on Hudson (2012), My Best Girl (1927), My Pal, the King (1932)-  I finished working ny way through Buck Jones' Universal westerns last year and then switched to the series Tom Mix did for the same studio. So far these are some of the best "B" westerns of the era with bigger budgets and fine photography.  Looking forward to viewing the rest. , Texas Chainsaw (2013)-  Weak entry in this horror series. , In a Lonely Place (1950)- Really good noir film. I hadn't seen it in 30+ plus years and found it much better than I remembered.  One of Humphrey Bogart's most nuanced performances. , Two Monks (1934)- Atmospheric precursor to Kurosawa's Rashoman (1950), Port of Lost Dreams (1934)- William Boyd stars in this low-budget programmer made shortly before the Hopalong Cassiday series would take over his life.  Has one of the stupidest endings I've seen in quite some time. , Warcraft (2016), The Rogue's Tavern (1936), Penny and the Pownall Case (1948)- Features early performances by Christopher Lee and Dina Dors but it's Peggy Evans who delights throughout in this brisk little Brit programmer . Valley of Wanted Men (1935), The Condemned (2007), Kate Plus Ten (1938)- Jack Hulbert brings a light touch to this adaptation of an Edgar Wallace story. , The Jungle Book (2016)- Two thumbs up from the little Missus and myself. , Jubal (1956)-  A very good western that I must confess I had never heard of until catching it recently.  Some beautiful widescreen color location photography adds much to the pleasure of watching it. , Pal O' Mine (1924), The Man Who Knew Infinity (2015), Train to Busan (2016)- This Korean flick is one of the best Zombie flicks I've seen in a while. , A Close Call for Ellery Queen (1942)- William Gargan takes over the title role from Ralph Bellamy and, IMHO, the series slips a notch.  Fortunately Margaret Lindsay is still on hand as Ellery's girlfriend, Nikki Porter., Up in the Air (1940)- Moreland and Darro again.  Nuff said. ,  Star Trek: Beyond (2016), The Asphalt Jungle (1950)- Classic noir! , Captain Fantastic (2016)- Great performance by Viggo Mortensen.  Check it out. , Beyond the Border (1925).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2654 on: February 18, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »

I like to binge watch boxed sets. Going to mention SF here.
DARK MATTER series, based on the graphic novels ( I think by Dark Horse)

http://www.sparknotes.com/mindhut/2012/06/04/review-dark-matter-graphic-novels-volumes-1-4

currently on the SYFY channel and about to start its third season. first two seasons available as Boxed Sets. Bunch of people wake on a space ship, don't know who they are or how they got there or why. Excellent cast and scripts.
Found ODYSSEY FIVE starring Peter Weller, 2002- 4 series, went 19 episodes. If you get a copy of the boxed set  don't quit after the pilot episode, the special effects are abominable but this episode is the exception not the rule. I haven't finished watching all episodes, but I will get back to them. Astronauts witness the end of the earth, go back in time three years with three years to find out what happened and prevent it.
CONTINUUM - also Canadian, high quality time travel paradox series which went 3 seasons. Cancelled with a terrific cliffhanger for the next season that never happened. Someone should continue it as a comic book ala Buffy. Just checked and Dark Matter was also a Canadian production. What is it about Canadians and SF TV shows.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2655 on: February 21, 2017, 04:50:41 AM »

" The writers must've researched a lot of comic history and lore--maybe they had some inside knowledge, even though certain aspects of the publishing industry and the artist's life seem too easy. But that's why it's a movie."

Many movies of that period were first drawn up as comic book style panels called the Story Board.
This allowed them to fine tune the camera angles and work out details of the sets and just where each actor should be during the scene for maximum effect on the audience.
Also if they couldn't spark interest in the story in comic book form they weren't likely to hold the audiences interest.

The old TV series "T.H.E. Cat" is shot and lighted very much in the style of a B&W Graphic Novel. Almost any screen cap from any episode could pass for a very well done panel from a major comic. One of the most artistic film noir style TV series.
ip icon Logged

BoldVenturePress

message icon
« Reply #2656 on: March 31, 2017, 01:52:05 AM »

T.H.E. Cat ... terrific series ... filmed in color, but shadowy like a film noir ... in many ways, Robert Loggia's character and performance would have been an excellent example of bringing The Spider or The Shadow to film.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2657 on: April 25, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »

One of our local PBS channels (we have seven) has been showing several Euro-mystery series, all subtitled. Many are quite good. I have been following a French series which takes Agatha Christie mysteries and transplants them to a French setting. Marple, Poirot, and the Beresfords are replaced by French characters. The stories are handled in a somewhat more lighthearted manner than many would expect but the result is most entertaining. Try to get the title from the opening credits each week, but I don't speak or read French. Any body know what this show is called? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2658 on: October 28, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »

Worked out a way to legitimately mention this on the site. This is off topic so my apologies to anybody who might be offended.
As I write this I am watching the USA play Fiji in the Rugby League Cup. USA have put a try and a conversion on the board which earns them respect because Fiji thoroughly outguns them and has a genuine superstar of the sport among their number.
About the RL World Cup   https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/98297544/how-a-french-resistance-hero-founded-rugby-leagues-world-cup
Details on the 2017  RLWorld cup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Rugby_League_World_Cup
The USA team http://www.usarl.org/
An interesting story about the first USA rugby League foray. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyBEefzdqiE   Think this should be a movie.
I'll shut up and go away now and watch the second half.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2659 on: October 30, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »

I have no problem with mentioning Rugby League.  I'd much rather watch League than Union, but my cable company doesn't have free access to games and I'd have to subscribe to Sky? and I don't want to do that.
While we're on about sports I'd have to subscribe to, cricket is another one.  One of the free, terrestrial channels has highlights of England test matches but ball by ball coverage is only available free on radio.
Not that I'm English, just want to make that clear ;D  It's just that I like cricket and Scotland aren't that good. :(
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2660 on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »

Spent a lot of time lately going through my older horror films I hadn't watched in a while.
Watched the Jack Palance Jekyll and Hyde last night. I think that's possibly the best non classic TV era version.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2661 on: November 12, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »

Dug out my Paul Temple films - the original cinema films, not the tv show - and Salute The Toff - John Bentley plays The Toff as he does in 3 of the Temple movies.  I can act them but still find them very entertaining.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2662 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:35 AM »

Just watched Season 3 of Dark Matter. Ends with a great cliffhanger as each season has. If this is the last season, as rumored it will be annoying not knowing what resolution the writers has in mind. The cast has been excellent. Especially Zoie Palmer  as the android. I swear she channels 'Hal' as the template for the voice.
http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter/about
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2663 on: November 13, 2017, 03:50:40 AM »

Didn't even know there were Paul Temple films. Curious, I looked them up on IMDB. All the sample posters (or DVD boxes, or whatever) were in German. Weird.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2664 on: November 13, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »

I recently listened to the radio shows. Late 50s early 60s, I found them terribly snobby (after a while)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2665 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »

Oh Mark.   How disappointing.  I just laugh at some of the pretensions and get on with enjoying the mysteries, although at times there are, how can I put this?, occasional? plot holes ;) Great stuff and as I've said before here, the reconstructions of the missing stories and the narrated versions are very well done.
Crash, the English language films have been relatively recently remastered and re-issued by Renown, who do a lot of work finding, tidying up and releasing lots of old British "B" movies.
This is their Temple page
https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=c6931eccc521dd4f5a207b52500e1275&keyword=paul+temple
and this is their front page:-
https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2666 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »

They just got more and more gratingly upper middle class .... and of course every episode seemed to involve their car being run off the road or a pot shot being taken ... I must admit I had a similar "experience" listening to Lord Peter Whimsey ... he was great to start off with but progressively got too smug by half.

A Case for Dr Morelle which we have on site were made around the same time and I thoroughly recommend https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3207

I have started listening to the Stephen Fry Sherlock Holmes audio books and they really are excellent. Absolutely top class
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2667 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:58 PM »

Hadn't heard of Dr Morelle before, so I sampled CB+'s collection. Not much as mysteries (in my opinion) with the solutions seeming to come out of thin air. However Cecil Parker's Morelle makes the whole thing very listenable. Morelle reminds me of Nero Wolfe. While Sydney Greenstreet would seem to have been the perfect Wolfe, his radio character had a certain whininess which Parker's Morelle didn't have. I'd have loved to have heard Parker voice adaptations of the Rex Stout stories (much better mysteries than Dr M's cases).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2668 on: November 14, 2017, 04:58:46 AM »

To back Mark up, IMDB says of Cecil Parker, 'An air of almost smug disdain would hang over his characters like a grey cloud' Thanks for putting me onto the Dr Morelle episodes. I'll have to give them a listen.
Also found some episodes of the 'Holmes and watson' series starring Geoffrey Whitehead as Holmes. These are hard to find and the stories are good and original and inspired by Conan Doyle. Whitehead makes an excellent Holmes On Donald Pickering's Watson i can't say it better than IMBD  - Donald Pickering is one of the better Watsons -- you can believe he's been a military man from his bearing and his athletic build -- and he comes across as intelligent and capable, if occasionally astonished or bewildered by Holmes's more brilliant strokes of genius'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuSvSbmZjs
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2669 on: February 27, 2018, 12:45:04 AM »

Cecil Parker gets my vote as the best-ever "SAINT" villain, in "THE SAINT'S VACATION", with Hugh Sinclair, Sally Gray & Gordon McLeod.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2670 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »

Have been bingewatching season 1 of 'Blakes 7' which is currently on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDd1zO9F1I&list=PLhavZM1-Ey4H9NY2rxpsbaCQ8dDLNNs6k
Missed it first time round. Was created and written by Terry Nation who invented and owns the rights to (I think he still does) the Daleks. Scripts are good and cast is excellent, as is the premise, but the budget was zero so the effects are truly cringeworthy. Does anybody know if there was a comic version of Blakes 7?
On a related note, there is a trailer for the new version of Lost in Space. Looks quite good. Has a good cast, but they seem to be  playing it straight. There is a robot as a companion for Will and this time Dr Smith is female. Probably won't have the same relationship with will. Does not compute. Might be more like the Gold Key Lost in Space which I am a huge fan of. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5232792/videoplayer/vi3167729689?ref_=tt_ov_vi
Its released in April.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2671 on: February 27, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »

Oh yes, there was a 25? issue monthly run, plus annuals and a couple of poster mags.  Ian Kennedy art in the comic.  Also there is a series of audio adventures.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2672 on: March 01, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »

I binge watched Blakes Seven a few years back, all seasons and all episodes. Quite a trip.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen or read about the end of the series.
The final ep was supposed to eliminate any possiblity of the crew surviving, but I figure they could have survived the apparent massacre by some deux ex machina. Blake certainly didn't seem himself and I figure the Blake that was shot down was a clone.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2673 on: March 01, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

Back in the day and at the height of my disreputable youth I used to watch this along with the rest of my housemates. We crowded around a TV I had found on the street (it worked if you hit it very hard).

Then one TERRIBLE day without any warning they killed the lot of them. We decided to write to the papers about it, but were too untogether to actually do it.

I don't recall much of those times but that horrific incident I remember as though it was yesterday. I also confess I fancied Servalan "something rotten"
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2674 on: March 02, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »

Yes. I remember the shock of that. I was livid and phoned the BBC - and got absolutely nowhere.  There was a big surge in complaints at the time.
Servalan?  Oh yes!!!
Jacqueline Pearce was also in Dark Season as Miss Pendragon (with Kate Winslett)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.