in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 137746 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 05:41:08 PM »

Ed, I agree entirely.  Phantom is the exception at Moonstone and as narfstar says, Cap. Action is pretty poor.  The thing with Domino Lady is that I love the original stories and my pal, the pulp collector, has originals, so I was pleased to see that Moonstone were putting out a series. But the comic was not very well written and the art was very average.  Nor did I like what they did with her orientation. Bowers mentions heroes choosing to stand up to injustice. So having just read First Wave #2, you will perhaps understand my chagrin and lack of sympathy for the comic on seeing how the Blackhawks behave.  I just don't get this. Pity, as I enjoy Rags Morales art.
Now on the plus side and it's GA related - in fact couldn't be more so - I got my copy of Hermes collected Phantom dailies, vol. 1 this week. What a nice piece of work. I've been sitting evenings reading, smelling and appreciating it.  Over on Chronicle Chamber I see that most of the Aussies still haven't got their copies but Mike Bullock very simply noted that it was a thing of beauty. How could you disagree?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »

I have read and very much enjoyed the early newspaper reprints of Phantom, Dick Tracy, Li'l Abner and Alley Oop. These were well written pieces of work. I remember reading Dondi in the newspapers and really liked it. I read a Dondi comic and liked it. I met Irwin Hassen at Heroes Con. He said that he would put himself in the mindset of a ten year old to try to write true to character. Can you imagine cranking out a daily strip and putting so much effort into it? It is no wonder they hold up so well.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2010, 01:31:39 AM »

Ed, thanks for sharing your insight into the Spider's character and motivation. Couldn't agree more! Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »

Then...
DC Universe: Legacies #1 (of 10) has something that The Marvel's Project lacked -- a flesh and blood Golden Age Legend as part of the creative team! Artistic legend, Joe Kubert, provides inks for the pencilwork of his son, Andy. Sandman and The Atom  play active roles in this first issue, but Scoop Scanlon (of Action Comics fame) fills the backup feature with tales of Zatara, The Spectre and Dr. Fate. This first issue (with Len Wein's storytelling) promises an entertaining series that stretches beyond the Golden Age era of Marvel's Project, into the current DC Universe in later issues. This one is a winner gang! Go out and get your copy asap!

Now...
DC Universe: Legacies #2 (of 10), in my opinion, is a startling downgrade for a series that started off with a fantastic first issue. Len Wein provides quality writing, Andy Kubert and his father, the legendary Joe Kubert, provide fantastic artwork; but the book is flawed. The biggest problem in the main story is the retcon'ed model. Whichever of the 52 DC Universes this book is taking placing on, it is not Earth-2 nor Earth-1, but seeks to harmonize the worse things about both.

1) The Freedom Fighters are active on this earth. -- Roy Thomas had established that the Freedom Fighters began on Earth-2 and migrated to the neigh hero-less Earth-X following Uncle Sam. Post-Crisis the team became part of Earth-1 lore. I was never a fan of this and remain disgruntled. I prefer the earth's properly labeled because without this the writers simply lose focus and particular details that characterize various heroes from the various publishers DC absorbed. The result is no one can keep track of continuity. For instance, Wein leaves the Fawcett heroes out of Legacies #2, but why? Since he is following flawed themes, the Marvel Family would have fit in nicely. This is where Marvel excels over DC.

2) The JSA goes into a semi-secret retirement due to McCarthy's Congressional Un-American Activities Committee. Again with the McCarthy stuff. This worked for the immediate post Cold War era, but is there an unspoken rule that the early 1950s retirement of the JSA has to be due to the Red Scare? How about some creativity? Perhaps the theme could follow along the lines that acting on behalf of the Feds, the JSA faked their retirement in order to conduct secret anti-communist operations. Anything is better than the trite "they retired because McCarthy was mean to them" bunk.

3) TNT & Dan The Dyna-Mite have been retcon'ed into the Seven Soldiers of Victory, thus replacing Green Arrow & Speedy. I have nothing good to say about this development.

DC Universe Legacies will still please many. The book is clearly it is about solidifying the current DC Universe model, which will reign before the next "Crisis On Bean Counters Spreadsheets" inspired three year storyline that results in Bat-Mite being a founding member of the Justice League. The actual DC Legacy has nothing to do with this series. For those of you who are not as orthodox in DC continuity as I, DC Universe Legacies will remain a favorite; but for myself, I am done with this series.

Next up...

The Shield #10, the last issue in the series, offers a JSA/All-Stars  in a supporting role of a somewhat entertaining story. The biggest thing here is that Marco Rudy and Mick Gray make a fantastic art team. The Fox back up feature ended soundly and if the character continues in the right hands, it should definitely be worthy of its own series. The Shield also cameo's in this week's issue of Magog.

Savage Dragon #161 features the Golden Age Daredevil planting his foot in the face of Savage Dragon. One cannot help but appreciate Erik Larsen's use of the character! The Three Wise Guys cameo in this issue. Although not golden age, the back up feature, has some incredible artwork from Andrew Dimitt.

Flash Gordon and Mandrake are coming to Dynamite this year. And look for the new Doctor Solar book shortly from Dark Horse.

I'm pretty much done for now. Between DC Universe Legacies #2 and the abomination that is a Spanish referee (re: Germany v. Serbia), I am going to go to my quiet place and read.  ;D

B.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:43:51 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

The TNT and Dynamite retcon confuses me a bit as I thought this would be a look at the DCU history, weaved through a story of the narrator's eyes, so that there would actually be very little new retcons. So, I wouldn't expect them to change why the JSA retired. We have an in-story reason already published that doesn't contradict anything, why change it?

But, that's why the TNT/Seven Soldiers retcon is a bad one. There are already stories (bad as they are) that explain who the 7 Soldiers were minus Green Arrow & Speedy in the post-Crisis verse. There's no reason to have this retcon. Unless there's already a story that's being planned of the original Soldiers WITH TNT & Dynamite as members. It's stupid to have this as little more than a throwaway footnote. It's one of the annoying things about the current environment at DC going on for 20 some years now, that writers feel free to completely disregard and retcon at will elements of stories for no real reason, even stories that only recently happened. Ostrander reboots Hawkman despite the fact that he was appearing all over the DCU just months prior, the legacy of which the character is still paying for. Every writer coming down the pike feels the need to give Donna Troy and Power Girl new origins. The Legion is completely changed with each writer. No one seems to realize that when Thomas did retcons, nine times out of ten it was to simplify history, cleared up contradictions, similarities or continuity holes.

The other thing that makes the TNT retcon a bad one is simply that it upsets the spirit of the Seven Soldiers team. The only one that truly had any special powers was Shining Knight's horse. TNT and Dynamite add an element that wasn't really part of the team and their powers make it that they who are retcon members are now the powerhouses of the team. It'd be like taking Red Ryan out of the Challengers of the Unknown and replacing him with Robotman.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »

Amen Mr. Love!
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »

The problem with DC Universe: Legacies is it should have been 12 issues as the early the 1930's-1950's period needed another issue.

My Problems with the issue:

Big one was DR.FATE left the JSA same time as Hourman? WTF? All that happened was he went to the half-helmet no longer wanting to be under Nabu's influence. We're talking 12 issues of All-Star! Even at reduced abilities, he was still a powerful key member. Perhaps DC has now reconned the whole "Half-helmet" thing? If that is the case, then why not recon full helmet for the last 12 issues?

The whole TNT & Dan in the 7SOV changes a few things - TNT wasn't killed, Dan
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Pale Horse
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »

Has anyone else read Pale Horse? Seems like same old same old. I did not like the art
at all. Can't say it had much new to offer story wise. I would give it a pass.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »

The problem with DC Universe: Legacies is it should have been 12 issues as the early the 1930's-1950's period needed another issue.

My Problems with the issue:

Big one was DR.FATE left the JSA same time as Hourman? WTF? All that happened was he went to the half-helmet no longer wanting to be under Nabu's influence. We're talking 12 issues of All-Star! Even at reduced abilities, he was still a powerful key member. Perhaps DC has now reconned the whole "Half-helmet" thing? If that is the case, then why not recon full helmet for the last 12 issues?

The whole TNT & Dan in the 7SOV changes a few things - TNT wasn't killed, Dan
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2010, 01:37:33 AM »

Not much for me to talk about this week because I did not purchase a lot of what was on the stands.

Namora # 1 one-shot from Marvel, Kevin Smith's Green Hornet #5, and Buck Rogers #12 are fresh on the stands this week.

The JSA cameo in Power-Girl #13, while Blonde Phantom makes a cameo in Spider-Man Marvel Adventures #3.

Superman #700 hit the stands also!

Regards,

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 02:32:11 AM »

I did not make it to my LCS to pick up this weeks books and am going  on vacation tomorrow so it will not be until I get back. On my list for this week is pretty Golden Age character heavy.

Kato Origins 2
Green Hornet 5
Phantom Generations 12   AND
Archie 610 WITH THE RETURN OF THE MAN FROM R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E.

I love that original run in Life with Archie. I sure hope they do this three issue revival well.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »

Again, I'm not too sure how new the following are but I made it to my nearest comic shop and picked up some pamphlets.  Best of the lot, I thought was G.H Year 1 #3. I find this incarnation of the Hornet by far the most entertaining of the current titles. Close behind was issue 2 of Birds of Prey which continued an intriguing mystery, with lots of action and a most enjoyable sonic scream from B.C.  Right up there was Zatanna #2, which I think is a nice looking comic, as far as todays publications are concerned, that is.
Kato origins surprises me in that I don't think it is particularly well drawn in places and it feels as if it's just a cash in  title but I get to the end and find I've quite enjoyed it. (Perhaps it's just my bad taste showing)
Last title I want to mention is Rawhide Kid.  Now, I still don't know whether to laugh or cry and yet I think I enjoyed this but I'm really lost for words and hope that someone else has read it and wants to air their opinions.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »

I agree Paw the art on Kato Origins is lacking. GH Year One has been good so far. You have me really curious about Rawhide Kid. I don't think I want to waste the money buying it but may read a copy.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 02:43:59 AM »

I have a hand-full of books to note this week, but its getting late, so I will get it done sometime Thursday (knock on the wooden heads of spammers) -- soon to bed.

Advance thanks to those signing up overnight; please be patient and you will be pushed through to download no later than the morning.

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »

I have not read todays books yet. Interesting that I got Army of Two #4 a couple weeks ago and #6 today no #5. Gotta wait before I can read 6. From today's books I just read Phantom/Captain Action. Last ditch use of the Phantom in this two issue crossover. It seems to be something just thrown together to get some mileage out of the Phantom. Very little as it was mostly CA. I did not like Moonstone's Captain Action and I did not like this two issue piece of crap. Sorry I wasted my money. I still have Phantom: Generations to look forward as Moonstone has done well with the Phantom in it.

Star Trek: Burden of Knowledge was like reading an episode of Original Trek. Captured the feel really well. I am not a fan of most art in modern comics. I am mostly concerned with the writing. This book has the typical new style art that to me always looks "smeared." Since this is a common look it must have a following but it is not my preference. I do prefer it to that sloppy cartoony crap that is also popular now. It met my main criteria of being a good read so I added it to my pull list.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:44:55 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »

How could I forget?  I read Phantom Unmasked and thoroughly enjoyed it. Particularly the double page spread with the caption - "....we were all in hell".  Gaun yirsel', Phantom, gie them laldy, as we might have it, in the vernacular.
Pages like this and the new Hermes book make me realise, even more, how disgusting the "new" Dynamite illos are.  Bit of controversy there. So, how about pursuing this!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Wowio, Lulu, etc
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »

Does anyone else use a legal digital download site like Wowio or Lulu or some others? Since those on this site obviously accept digital downloads and hopefully enjoy them I figure the new comics in digital would be cool also. Some publishers such as Blue Water offer most of their books almost immediately on Wowio, etc. Heroic has most of its archive online. Most comics can be downloaded for a buck and they often have sponsors that give you so many choices free. I think it is a great way to support the creators and it allows books shunned by Diamond to get a distribution. Some sites like Comixexpress offer the option of getting a print on demand copy if you are willing to spend the extra money. One thing about these books is that I am more wiling to try a book to see if I like it for a buck over three bucks. I also found one of my favorite series Johnny Saturn through this and bought the whole series.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Wowio, Lulu, etc
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

Does anyone else use a legal digital download site like Wowio or Lulu or some others? Since those on this site obviously accept digital downloads and hopefully enjoy them I figure the new comics in digital would be cool also. Some publishers such as Blue Water offer most of their books almost immediately on Wowio, etc. Heroic has most of its archive online. Most comics can be downloaded for a buck and they often have sponsors that give you so many choices free. I think it is a great way to support the creators and it allows books shunned by Diamond to get a distribution. Some sites like Comixexpress offer the option of getting a print on demand copy if you are willing to spend the extra money. One thing about these books is that I am more wiling to try a book to see if I like it for a buck over three bucks. I also found one of my favorite series Johnny Saturn through this and bought the whole series.

I love Lulu ... so much good material to buy there. I used to use WOWIO but kind of got away from it after a time. I understand that they use a basic paysite model now (which is not bad in of itself), but I was active on it when it was mainly advertiser/sponsor supported.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »

Most of what I have gotten at wowio has still been free. Sign up with your email and you will get the free download offers. Of course it makes you want the next issues. I just got Sore Thumbs 1 for free. Crazy stuff with a far left sister and far right brother. There are 20 more issues I will have to buy now. Their darn marketing worked on me.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

During this lull in the Uruguay vs. Ghana match, I'm posting my quick thoughts about some of this week's comics.

Captain America #607 is out this week. It has a nice Gene Colan/Joe Sinnott feel to it, but provides the standard quality writing from Brubaker.

Justice Society of America #40 ties up what has to be one of the -- okay, I will try and restrain myself (although JSA: All-Stars is still game) I will say that as a long time reader, I am thrilled that Robinson and Bagley are handling the next handful of JSA/JLA issues in The Dark Things crossover -- a nice run of quality story and art will be very refreshing and welcomed. If I had a brain, I would see JSA #43 as a great time to jump off of all of the JSA related books. However, my stupidity is legendary.  ;D btw, you should pick up JLA #44 & #45 in order to get the most of out the crossover.

On the heels of benchmarks set by Superman(#600) and Batman (#700), Wonder Woman #600 is out this week. Generally I do not follow the series, but this issue is special enough that I had to give in. Lynda Carter provides an opening introduction/retrospect to a cornucopia of one page pin-ups and short short stories featuring cameos from Star Girl, Manhunter, Black Alice, Bulleteer, JudoMaster, The Question, Cyclone, and Power Girl. There is some controversy about the big change to WW, that of J. Michael Straczynski using his creative muscle to shift our princess out of her traditional USA themed outfit into a somewhat more 'contemporary' garb. Personally, I do not care at all. Straczynski is this era's John Byrne (re: 1986's Man of Steel retcon) and I have no reason to think ill of this new development, and I welcome the direction. Now, if Mr. Straczynski can finally finish up The Twelve.

That's all I have this week. Comments, contributions, and declarations to Shazam welcomed.  ;D

B.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:50:15 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:09 AM »

Cannot comment on these yet because I haven't had time to read them, but I did want to list them:

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #1

Captain America: The 1940s's Newspaper Strip #1 (of 3)

JSA: All-Stars #8

Marvelman: Family's Finest # 1 (of 6)

Have a good night everyone!  ;D

B.

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 03:33:02 AM »

I'm not sure if this is GA related but... I broke my comic book buying moratorium and finally bought a copy of the Wolverton Bible.  It was on sale for $14 and there was an Independence Day free shipping event going on for orders over $17... I just couldn't resist... and I also picked up the latest Shadow pulp, "The Crime Ray" as well (it too was at a discount).

I would have gotten away clean with just those items, but then I noticed they were taking pre-orders for this years Bart Simpsons Treehouse of Horror... not to mention the new limited "Comic Book Guy" series... dang it!  Or as Homer would say... D'oh! :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:45:16 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »

I got the Wolverton Bible some time ago and thought it very well done
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »

I was waiting and waiting to buy a copy of that Bible for the longest time narf... I figured I'd better grab one now... I doubt the pricing will get much better than that nor will they reprint it any time soon.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

Had a trundle up to Stirling on the bus to visit the wee comic shop there and bought Batman Odyssey #1 (only because it boasted Adams art and that pressed the nostalgia button), Captain Swing #2, Jack Staff #3 and Marvelman Family #1.  MM Family just looks so good and credits have been given, which has to have been difficult as they weren't listed in the original comics and there was a sort of cartoony "house style", but I think they've got it right.  Great to see some of the early Don Lawrence stories. So, this evening, after a pizza and a couple of glasses of decent Italian wine, I intend to sit down for a good read.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.