in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

PANTERA RUBIA/SIMBA

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: PANTERA RUBIA/SIMBA  (Read 9280 times)

glammazon

• VIP
message icon
PANTERA RUBIA/SIMBA
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »

One of the blogs I go to contains a series of comics featuring a heroine known in Spain as Pantera Rubia and in Mexico as Simba, which was her original name.  Her Spanish name, used in the later comics that were sanitized as much as possible, translates to either "Red Panthress" or "Ruby Panther," I am not sure which.  In the Spanish version, the lady wears a blouse and leopard skin skirt, and in the Mexican version, she wears the usual leopard-skin bikini and her stories are part colour and part black and white.  I'm hoping you can get a translator on the comics: the section of the blog where I found them is called "El chico des los tejados Resultados de la Busqueda de Pantera Rubia" (roughly, "These are the results for your search for the Ruby Panther.").
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: PANTERA RUBIA/SIMBA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:30:15 PM »

One of the blogs I go to contains a series of comics featuring a heroine known in Spain as Pantera Rubia and in Mexico as Simba, which was her original name.  Her Spanish name, used in the later comics that were sanitized as much as possible, translates to either "Red Panthress" or "Ruby Panther," I am not sure which.  In the Spanish version, the lady wears a blouse and leopard skin skirt, and in the Mexican version, she wears the usual leopard-skin bikini and her stories are part colour and part black and white.  I'm hoping you can get a translator on the comics: the section of the blog where I found them is called "El chico des los tejados Resultados de la Busqueda de Pantera Rubia" (roughly, "These are the results for your search for the Ruby Panther.").

Sounds interesting! Maybe Paw Broon or Jim (JVJ) know of sources for this character!

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 06:08:42 PM »

Hi glammazon, El Chico is a great site, isn't it.  Not being a jungle hero fan, I sort of passed this one by. 
But on 2nd. look, I'm reminded of Pantera Bionda, who is an Italian character and did fall foul of the censors - although by todays standards, I'm not sure what the objections were.  Not sure if this is the same Pantera. but the covers are a different style - not that that goes for much.  I'll try to dig out a copy of Pantera Bionda, if I still have it and post the cover.  As to a translation, I fear you'll have to do it the hard way, and learn a bit of Spanish.  Well worth the trouble as there is so much more out there than American comics.
I'll go off and have a ponder.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »

O.K. They are all the same character, originally Italian. Rubia is Spanish for fair-haired. The first link will give you info on the creator but not it's history in Spain and Mexico.  Many european comics were reprinted all over Europe and many went to Central and South America.  This one included.  The difference in the costumes were, as you note, before and after censors in various countries got heavy with it.
The other 2 links are scans from a 1967 Italian reprint.  I noticed that some reprints of the Spanish version are on Ebay Spain.

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/i/ingam.htm

ip icon Logged

glammazon

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

Hopefull, I'll be able to translate some of the PANTERA RUBIA stories, but I would have to use a nondigital Spanish dictionary because I can't do anything besides escape when the computer is in .cbr mode.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »

You never did say what .cbr reader you're using Glammazon. Are you on Windows or Mac? If Windows, have you tried [Alt][Tab] to switch between apps?

Curious minds want to help...

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

glammazon

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

We have a Dell that I currently can't use because we can't get into Windows; one of the program modules was accidentally deleted by my mother.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:35:33 AM »

Can you post a link to the blog that has the scans, please?
ip icon Logged

glammazon

• VIP
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:19:35 AM by glammazon »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »

Great site with lots of obscure stuff.  I'm still trawling through it.
Have a look at this site.  Sorry if I've posted this link previously but there is a lot of interesting material here:-
http://eldesvandelabuelito.blogspot.com/
In fact, I was just scanning through it and found some info. I'd been looking for. Great.
ip icon Logged

Hugo_Danner

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Hugo_Danner
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »

In Italy the character is called
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »

Bang on Hugo. But, can I find scans of the Italian originals? No! Failing miserably.  Can you help as it would be great to have the original versions for our members?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.