in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Traditional Comic Books Face the Digital Age

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Traditional Comic Books Face the Digital Age  (Read 4118 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Traditional Comic Books Face the Digital Age
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:40 AM »

Its around 12:34pm right now. I have always promissed myself to be up to date on the latest on digital comics and edutainment.
These are two areas I am rather interested in as a hobby. While there are many exciting things planned for the site, I thought it was time to do a little of my own content here.

Its true now with devises such as ipad, itouch, and ipad comics are becoming more portable in a digital format. Lets also not forget the pc and notebooks as well, as well as other PDA devices.

The great positive of all of this, is clearly sites such as GAC-UK are reaching out to new audiences. What I also agree with in the article is that we will eventually see "motion comics". If you youtube some old "Hulk" or "Thor" from the 1960's you will see that these were early "motion comics". There were alot of still frames and very basic animation. Sometimes I even think it would be a good idea to collect some of these older animations for our viewing pleasure. Just in case your wondering what I refering to, its the Marvel cartoon's from 1966. Here is one of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbsV6aTHts

Now, according to the article the comic industry is a 1 billion dollar US market and digital sales are less then 5% of that total.

I have some thoughts on comic book shops and a general idea on how they can survive until next post!

Here is the article, for more:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/superhero-identity-crisis-comic-books-digital-age/story?id=11248360
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
Re: Traditional Comic Books Face the Digital Age
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »

Thank you for the link!

I think just as we've seen nobodies become somebodies on youtube, we'll see a certain amount of new (and old) comics get discovered in this new digital arena. I would love to see a nice selection of older public domain comics on the ComiXology application!
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Traditional Comic Books Face the Digital Age
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:00:17 AM »

That is interesting you mention comixology. They seem to have every major publisher with them. Now Comic Zeal, seems to have the public domain books and I think your comics  as well! Now, while I was scrolling down comixology's publisher list they have a section called "creator owned comics" section. This is something I would like to investigate more of. I will look into it and let you all know.

cheers

Janus

Shelley link=topic=2276.msg26151#msg26151 date=1280227104]
Thank you for the link!

I think just as we've seen nobodies become somebodies on youtube, we'll see a certain amount of new (and old) comics get discovered in this new digital arena. I would love to see a nice selection of older public domain comics on the ComiXology application!
[/quote]
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.