in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Any way to convert .jpg to .cbz?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Any way to convert .jpg to .cbz?  (Read 58985 times)

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
Any way to convert .jpg to .cbz?
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »

I've gotten a comic that is a standard folder of .jpg pictures and was wondering if there is a convenient way to pile them into a .cbz file for easier reading.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Re: Any way to convert .jpg to .cbz?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »

I've gotten a comic that is a standard folder of .jpg pictures and was wondering if there is a convenient way to pile them into a .cbz file for easier reading.

".cbz" files are really just renamed ".zip" files. So, put the comic jpgs into the order you want, then use some compression software (like WinZip, standard on PCs) to create say "Comic.zip". Then rename the extension so that it's "Comic.cbz". If I can do it, anyone can!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »

Make sure your options are set to show extensions. We have some people who will add on a .cbz to the end of the .zip because they do not see the extensions. This creates a file that many can not open unless they know what the problem is and delete the extra extension.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »

...then use some compression software (like WinZip, standard on PCs)...

Actually, the ability to make a zip file is built right into Windows without needing Winzip or anything else. If you open up the folder that contains the files, highlight the first file, hold the shift key and click on the last file. This will select all the files you want in the cbz.  Then, right click on the highlighted group and select "Send to...", and from this expanded menu, pick "compressed file".  You will get a zip file named after the first file name in the group.  Right click on this file 'first file name.zip' and select 'Rename' and rename the file to the comic book name with a CBZ extension, rather than a ZIP extension. You will get a warning from Windows about the potential disasters of renaming file extensions. Don't worry about it.

Winzip does make it a little easier, and is a free download, but it is essentially the same process without it.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it did not work because it always gets stuck between pages 15-21 (which to my eye don't look any different then the other pages). It'll say "Unable to create output" or something and I'll get an unreadable file with an alpha-numeric name (otherwise meaningless to me) and the pages are all still there.

Basically what I'm trying to do is I downloaded Sheena #1 from here. It came as a very readable stack of jpgs all in one convenient folder. But I like using my comic book reader (cbz/cbr). I also , many years ago, purchased a few web-only comics that came as jpgs (this was like 2000-ish) and would like to add then to my stack of readable comics.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

Sheena #1 from here is already a Zip file.  It's named shn1.zip.  All you need do is rename the file shn1.cbz (and you can use anything you wish instead of shn1 like Sheena_01.cbz).  It should then open in Comic Book Reader with a double click (or however you start a program associated with a file).

I just downloaded Sheena #1 and extracted the files without a problem, so the file is not corrupt.

I believe all files here are .cbz, .cbr, .zip or .rar files.  The latter only need be changed to .cbz and .cbr respectively.  There might be some that are misnamed (are zip files named .cbr for example) so you could try renaming.  There are probably some that are double extension .zip.cbz.  There are probably some that are doubly compressed I suppose as well. Those you might have to treat a bit differently.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »

Thanks , Jon. I know my 'puter hates me.
Check this out it's wierd. I recompressed Sheena #1 into .zipfile. Then I just opened it with the CDisplay Comic Book reader. Worked out. I never had to convert it (just had to make things harder on myself)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »

The ones with two extensions are usually not double compressed just double named by someone who does not allow showing extensions. It usually just takes just removing the .zip part of the extension.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »

Well, the "trick" worked on my other web-comics that came in jpg format. Compressed the folder into a zip folder and viewed normally with my reader. Thanks again, all.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.