in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Readin'?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Readin'?  (Read 152237 times)

rofite

message icon
Re: Watcha Readin'?
« Reply #425 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:38 PM »

Just finished the Land that Time Forgot from the Amazing Magazine serialization today. Hadn't read this in years. Burroughs is silly but fun.
Also reading a 4 book bundle "Magnificent Devices" from Amazon. It attempts to be steampunk, but I have a hard time seeing anything as steampunk without the visuals of animation or graphic novel.
ip icon Logged

jarrodmon

message icon
« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2014, 04:34:41 AM »

I see your point. Incidentally, they just put Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow on Netflix, and I saw it long ago, but had no idea what Steampunk was. I think I will watch it this weekend. It is always cited as an example of the genre.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #427 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:22 AM »

"Sky Captain" isn't steampunk. I'm surprised that people have called it that. Steampunk deals with Victorian-era pseudoscience. "Sky Captain" concerns 1930s pseudoscience. Maybe you'd call ti "Streamlinepunk." When I first saw it, the movie reminded me of (ahem) "Crash Ryan." The visual design and effects were excellent. Much of it still holds up today. Unfortunately the story just wasn't there. The lead characters desperately needed fleshing out.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »

I remember many years ago when BRAZIL came out (1985) and wondering what this whole style thing was about. It really ate at me as I saw BRAZIL more than once. On the one hand it was futuristic and on the other hand retro. I noticed this same sort of thing in other movies like the first two Burton Batman movies.

I'd heard the word steampunk bandied about but never gave it much thought. Eventually I got a general definition of the term and it sort of describes BRAZIL and other movies, but according to the strict definition of steampunk it really doesn't.

This mix of retro science fiction plus real science plus period elements seems like something more than what the inadequate definition of steampunk captures. But like a lot of terms, in the absence of a better one, steampunk seems to be used when we can't find another.
ip icon Logged

jarrodmon

message icon
« Reply #429 on: August 08, 2014, 07:03:16 AM »

The bookstore actually called and has my Color of Magic novel in. I am interested to read this. I guess this is the first of the Discworld novels, and as you say, I think they are calling it Steampunk for want of a better term. Nonetheless, whatever these Terry Pratchett novels are, I really enjoyed the movie adaptation of his 'Going Postal' novel. I figured if I liked the first book, that should keep me occupied for a while reading all of them.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #430 on: August 10, 2014, 02:05:56 AM »

Heres a story collection that might fit in the Steampunk category.
"The Adventures of Rollo Aubrey, Earl of Redgrave, and his bride, Lilla Zaidie"
Stories published between 1901 and 1910
http://www.munseys.com/book/26250/Adventures_of_Rollo_Aubrey,_Earl_of_Redgrave,_and_his_bride,_Lilla_Zaidie,_The

More books by the same author

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/g/griffith/george/
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

A few recent reads-

The Last Battle
by Stephen Harding   I couldn't help thinking how this account of a battle during the waning hours of WWII would make a great movie while I was reading it. Several American soldiers, with an audacious leader, ally themselves with a group of surrendered German soldiers to protect a bunch of squabbling French VIPs held in an Austrian castle against a fanatical band of SS troops who don't won't the VIPs to survive the war.   Sounds like a war novel but it really happened.

Johnny Carson by Henry Bushkin    Bushkin was Carson's lawyer and friend from 1970-1989 and he provides a balanced, insightful look at the "King of Late Night", as he knew him, during those years.

Buckeye by Verlyne Meck   Buckeye is a community to the west of Phoenix.  Like most of the communities established here in the valley during the second half of the 19th century it grew along the farms that sprang up by the extensions of the canals that were dug out in those years.  One of the original owners of that first canal system out that way was from Ohio, which is known as the Buckeye state, and she named the canal after her state.  The town that grew around it later adopted the name of the canal.  It was still a small town when I was a kid but has grown enormously over the last couple of decades although not as explosively since the Great Recession took its toll on building out here.

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly    Another well done crime novel from Connelly this one featuring reporter Jack McEvoy who is facing a "career change" as his newspaper downsizes during the digital age.  While dealing with this and working one last story he stumbles upon what appears to be a serial killer's work but unknowingly tips off the killer who is soon stalking Jack as well.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #432 on: October 08, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »

As I've been on holiday, I was able to read a few books.  An Agatha Christie short, Three Blind Mice.  Very good and interesting as we saw the play, The Mousetrap, (which is an adaptation) in London last week. It's only been running for 62 years, but I am usually at the coo's tail.
Also, The Water Room, which is the 2nd. in the Bryant and May series from Christopher Fowler.  Can't recommend it highly enough. Odd stories with 2 strangely eccentric, excellent characters.
The new "Hutch" story, Starhawk, by Jack McDevitt.  Actually, it's her "origin" tale, going back to when she qualifies as an interstellar pilot.  A great way to feed readers' addiction for these "empty universe" stories, just when we all thought the run was finished. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #433 on: October 09, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »

I subscribed to the Edgarriceburroughs.com site. Lots of nice stuff but some good people
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »

Manga rears it's head again because I'm enjoying another 2 series.  Pluto, based on the Astro Boy classic, by Urasawa Tezuka is unputdownable, beautifully done and touching at times. The other title is Black Lagoon by Rei Hiroe.  If you like your comics with hails of bullets and breathtaking action, this is for you.  It is flagged as "Mature" for language, violence and adult themes and, unusually for me, it's great fun.
A friend loaned me a copy of the current Jack Reacher book by Lee Child and while I enjoyed it - well paced excitement and action describes it well - I'm not sure if Child can do much more with the character and without spoiling the plot resolution, I was pretty sure earlyish what was going on.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #435 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »

Paw,

Since you liked Pluto you might want to also check out 20th Century Boys by Urasawa. It runs 22 volumes and is followed by a two volume sequel- 21st Century Boys.  His Monster mystery story (18 volumes) is also worth a read.   I read Pluto a couple of years back and agree with your assessment. 

I'm still working my way through FullMetal Alchemist which you recommended a while back.  Good stuff.

I'll have to check into Black Lagoon now.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #436 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Joe,
We have a branch of Anime Republic in Edinburgh and that's where I've been picking up tips about books to try.  I looked at 20th Century Boys (or was it 21st. Century.  I forget - my memory's like a seive these days)
and fancied it but the were out of #1 so I'll wait till that comes back in. Thanks for the suggestions.
At last Saturday's Edinburgh comic mart, I picked up #1 of the Hermes Press Phantom by Peter David and Sal Velluto and very nice it is too, but I couldn't possibly spoil the last page for those of you who don't already know.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #437 on: December 04, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »

I pick up the vast majority of my manga to read at our local library.  If they are missing a volume or two I put in an order through inter-library loan.  Sometimes takes a while to get through a longer series but eventually I get there.  I usually bounce around between series anyway so always have plenty to read.

Beat

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »

Currently re-enjoying Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L Sayers.  But also pondering which Christmas issues of Magnet and Nelson Lee to read, although I can't wait to start minotaur's recent upload of the Christmas Union Jack with Sexton Blake.
Bought #1 of Hellsing on Saturday and it was fun enough to keep going with the series.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #439 on: February 08, 2015, 02:47:03 AM »

I read King: The Phantom. Newest version of the classic character. I liked it. Hope it stays good.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »

Just finished old university chum Keith C. Blackmore's indie zombie novel, Mountain Man:
http://tinyurl.com/jwgvs7h

fun read.

There's a free prequel short story available as well:
http://tinyurl.com/ku2r4w3
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #441 on: February 21, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »

I've also read some of the new King/Dynamites. I agree with Narf, The Phantom was good. I also liked the Jungle Jim issue, although it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original character. The Flash Gordon wasn't much to my liking, but maybe it'll get better. Still waiting for Mandrake and Prince Valiant. How they're going to work Val into this story arc is beyond me. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #442 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »

I read about the Dynamite Phantom and the storyline that Lothar was "new"Phantom. If that is so, I'm not going near it with a bargepole.  Nothing against Lothar.  He's been part of my comics life, but as Mandrake's partner, as such, what is he doing as The Phantom?  And before anyone suggests it, I'm not really sure I want to know.  I will stick with the Hermes Press version.
What I have been reading recently are some manga titles, in particular, Monster, and I finished vol. 1 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Also, Ghost in the Shell the stand alone books. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #443 on: February 21, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »

Lothar is an interim like the girl Phantom was. He is looking for the next Phantom.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »

Paw,
Actually it is an interesting concept. The Last Phantom (remember that terrible mini?) dies @ the end of Kings Watch and Lothar takes it upon himself to find the son/daughter of the Last Phantom. Meanwhile he swears that the people that the Last Phantom protected will not go unprotected while he searches for the next real Phantom. Lothar only knows the last name of Walker but no idea where that person is at. That is issue one. Hope that helps.

Richard
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:12:28 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »

VAMPIRA: Dark Goddess of Horror Great history of the first and probably the most influential t.v. horror host. The author goes into some detail about the culture that made it all possible..and especially L.A. culture at the time. I've always dug the t.v. horror hosts, right up to Elvira, in fact my name for this board comes from Morgus the Magnificent, who ran the movies in The Big Easy. Now don't confuse Vampira with Elvira. Vampira made PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE with Ed Wood and died just a few years ago. Lots of cool photos.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #446 on: April 13, 2015, 12:04:48 AM »

Well, I finally had to sample "Afterlife With Archie". Very surprisingly I kind of liked it. A nice touch of  Lovecraft in the later issues. This was  a very bold move by the publishers- hope it pays off for them. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Stalag-X
« Reply #447 on: May 29, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »

I just read the first three issues of this digital series on Comixology. I am very impressed and hooked. I really hope they finish the series because I want to see what happens. Good sci-fi
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #448 on: May 29, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »

The phrase I've heard and sometimes use is "retro-future".  (Or something liek that.)

Meanwhile, I was reading recently that Vampira was initially involved in the creation of Elvira, but the producers cut her out at the last minute.  I think she sued them over it.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

Yeah, they refer to that in the book...Peterson and the ELVIRA camp did NOT want the case to go to court. They saw themselves as having more in common with Vampira then they had in contention. Both were midwestern girls who had support of members of the gay community and loved animals. Peterson, in fact, was able to show that she wanted to look more like Sharon Tate in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, but that the idea was turned down, and was able to document the input of one of her friends in the making of the Elvira character. I think one of the more memorable lines was; 'If Bela Lugosi wears a cape to be a vampire, does that mean no one else can???"
It also did NOT help Vampira's case that she gleefully (and more then once) detailed how she drew from Charles Addams, fetish magazines, and TERRY AND THE PIRATES for HER look. You can stiil see her doing it in the DVD inteview she did just before she died...

Meanwhile, what do you do if you write comic books and Dr Fred and the comics code bans you? Write science fiction novels, of course. So Harry Harrison went from being a comic book writer to doing THE STAINLESS STEEL RAT series. Reading all three of the original novels.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:18:20 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.