in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A case against too much retouching.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A case against too much retouching.  (Read 2655 times)

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
A case against too much retouching.
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »

I think the idea of retouching scans to the point of having a pure white background with sharp colors is a fallacy.  Although I admire the efforts, I don't think it should be done.  In fact, I've recently come across an interview (with Marie Severin) which suggests that the original comics (and I'm not just talking about EC comics) were indeed colored to take into account the ground color (the color of the physical paper medium on which they were printed).  It's clearly stated that certain yellows, blues and greens were preferred over others, and that this was done for proper presentation with regard to the ground color.

For archival purposes I'd think it better to focus on getting a good scan, in a good resolution, and then "cleaning up" that scan sparingly... it makes no sense to do otherwise and is IMO a misrepresentation of the original finished work.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:04:28 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Re: A case against too much retouching.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:46 PM »

Absotively, posilutely agree 100%.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.