in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Old Comics bought apart from on ebay

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Old Comics bought apart from on ebay  (Read 2967 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Old Comics bought apart from on ebay
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »

Perhaps a section on old comics bought "live", as it were.  At marts, cons, from pals. We all buy stuff on ebay to a greater or lesser extent but I buy most old stuff in person.  Look forward to any observations.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Old Comics bought apart from on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »

I have only been to one major con. My big find was Sparkman #1. Such an odd and obscure item I had to have and the price was right. It is a joy to go through those GA boxes. It is a thrill to see a book you love. It is a major thrill to be able to buy it.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »

Bang on, narfstar.  I was at a mart in Glasgow last week. Admission free to a small hall in the University union and a selection of dealers and artists tables, with a good showing of locally produced small press comics. Even better, a half decent cafe where people gravitated for a chat, a moan, a good laugh and to catch up with others only seen at marts.
There were a lot of interesting titles and a big variation in prices. As I had some credit with City Centre Comics, I was able to "buy" a small pile of Dell westerns and an issue of Sea Hunt, all from early 60's.  Quite a bit of Jesse Marsh art in the cowboys. I know he's an acquired taste but I enjoy his work. As for Sea Hunt - I have a soft spot for this as it was one of the few shows my dad and I used to watch together.  Happy memories.  And the comics are really good entertainment.
At another table, I picked up a couple of Charlton westerns with PAM art and a British Saint comic (reprinting american strips).  The Saint isn't worth much, a few quid,  but it seldom turns up. And I've read a lot of Saint books.
Here we don't see much G.A. stuff and there was none at this mart but there were a few late 50's ACG titles, in beautiful condition, just a bit too pricy for me.
I realise, having written all this that this isn't where it should be posted but I don't want to start again in another section.  Delete or move this as you wish.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »

Fits right in here Paw
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »

I've expanded my reading since joining this site. Mostly super hero stuff and the occasional horror/weird story book (Like Adventures Into The Unknown). Since I've been here I've read some funny animal, western, funny teen, war, and ones from the spy genre.
I'm jealous of everyone able to go to any kind of convention. There used to be monthly ones in a hotel near where I lived as a kid and loved it. Not a big one but everything I could want - brand new issues back to GA. I don't even have a comic shop near me. The closest thing is "Bob's Collectible's" that has a small batch of comics but nothing seems to be older than 2005. The rest is Magic cards, baseball cards, coins, etc. This is my only outlet for comics so I truly appreciate everything here.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.