in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

News of the Reconstruction

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: News of the Reconstruction  (Read 9167 times)

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
News of the Reconstruction
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »

By now, most of the regular visitors here have a notion about what's been going on here, but I thought it best to post here, under the News and Announcements section to make an easy-to-find thread for newbies and to keep as a news source for what we are currently doing.

As you will read in some of the older threads, GAC had, and still has in development, plans to expand the site into new areas...ones that we hope you find engaging and exciting.  In the process of pursuing those ends, a terrible incident, marked in dread black on our calenders, plunged us back to the dark ages. Most of our content and most of our site had been destroyed.

The sun will come up tomorrow, as Annie promised, and with the tireless efforts of the site administrators and with the incredible good will of our brother site, the Digital Comic Museum, we have been rebuilding from a Feb 2010 save point...slowly but surely.

We still have a ton of content on the way, and you will notice 'new' offerings daily.  Tragically, some of the data that was lost will be difficult or impossible to recreate, but with your help, we will rise to new heights.  We won't be able to recreate the statistic on how many times each file had been downloaded, and we have partial information on the credit for the scan. For all those file for which we are unsure, you will see a 'GAC' or 'GAC-UK' in the "author" column.  If you have good intel on the originator of the scan, please post it in the thread "Scanning Credits", and we will double back and post the credit to the appropriate party.

One last detail on this post, some special credit to individuals who deserve the recognition from all comic lovers who frequent this site:

Boox909 has been fielding all user requests, fighting spammers, and keeping up with all the fresh offerings that are out on the net. The Unsleeping Sentinel of GAC.

Narfstar has been wading through the mile-high pile of files, sorting renaming, uploading, rebuilding publishing sections...you name it. A juggernaut, with undoubtably puffy, red eyes at this point.

Zog, DCM faithful and archiver extraordinaire, whose selfless offering has made this process shorter by...oh, probably years.

CaptainDJ, another DCM pillar whose advice on technical matters have steered us in our efforts to bring this site back from the brink.

A huge thanks to those and others who have helped in this. And thanks to those who have had the patience to keep coming here while our fate was uncertain.  Spread the word...we're back.  Post, download, cavort...make merry.

More postings as things develop....
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: News of the Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »

Amen! Lots of good will and teamwork going on!  ;D
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

Thanks for the update and thanks to all for the hard work you all are doing to get the site back to where it was before the "Great Disaster."

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:50:29 PM »

We are still in the process of receiving the third and last upload from Zog...which is loading alphabetically...which we are not to touch until it is complete.

Once this feed is done, we will have a HEEP of books to add to the offerings.

And the latest file in that feed is:  Planet Comics #73

Getting there...well past the halfway mark, I would venture.

We are still processing the prior batches from Zog, though as we move though the files, we have processed the bigger grouping of files from titles, and are getting to the point where it is slowing down...one and two issues to a title, so our sorting may not be as apparent or dramatic.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »

I simply cannot imagine all the work that is going into reconstructing GAC and I can't thank enough all the people who are helping.  GAC was the start of my e-comics life and it has made a huge difference to my knowledge and enjoyment of the hobby. Not much else I can do to help as I'm e-illiterate.  I'm in awe of all of you.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »

thanks, paw!  We just can't imagine a world without the GAC, and are happy to make it happen. It's folks like you who bring their goods for others to share, and lend their voice to the forums that make this community worthwhile.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

Zog's Feed Progress:

up to "Rocky Lane Western 001"

WHOO HOOO!!!  We're in the "R"s, baby.

I tossed in a hunk of Standard titles into the Better/Nedor/Standard catagory last night.  An opportunity for any of you inclined to do some tidying work. Many of the file names included the scanner.  We will ultimately like to move the name to the 'author' field and remove it from the name.

A word about this: stripping the credit from the file name through the software does not ACTUALLY remove the credit from the physical file name, only the display name that users see thru GAC.

So, if we edit, for example 'Rocky Lane Western 001 narfstar.cbr' to be 'Rocky Lane Western 001', with narfstar's name in the 'author' column, anyone who downloads the file will get it as 'Rocky Lane Western 001 narfstar.cbr'.  I wished all the files we were sorting through had this, but, alas! It is not so, so if you have info about a files authorship, and it is showing here as uncredited (GAC), then go here  http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2690.0.html  and let us know...we'll get it fixed in a jiffy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:17:05 PM by builderboy »
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »

The Zog feed is moving along through the S's, and we continue to make progress (not always apparent) sorting through a sizable pile that we had from the earlier infusion.

I will next focus my effort on importing publishers in the H's (Harvey, Hillman), while others are doing a great job of bringing in new content and keeping up with the flow of what's happening in the scanning community.

Onward! Upward!
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »

Zog upload status:  up through Target Comics v08 #07.   This stash is loaded with so much sweet stuff, it almost makes me cry!

I did a bunch of Airboy Comics the other day, and see that we have quite a few issues double covered.  Anyone with the time available to look at these and advise us if one can be taken down would receive our gratitude, as we otherwise continue our efforts to get everything back up.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

Big jump ahead: the Zog upload has rocketed into the W's with Wings Comics #45.  The end of waiting to move this massive heap of books from the FTP to the site is nearly at an end people.

Thanks for the patience...more good stuff coming!
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:20 AM »

DONE!!!!    DONE!!!    IT'S DONE!!!!

The huge favor by DCM's Zog has concluded with a pile of files so big as to require the description 'ginormous'.   ;D

Now we can dig in and start filling the categories.  Now we can start the job of importing them to the site.

Once more...DCM, a shout-out to the Fellows of Good Will:  Zog, CaptainDJ, and Yoc...all fantastic guys, deserving of our eternal gratitude!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »

DONE!!!!    DONE!!!    IT'S DONE!!!!

The huge favor by DCM's Zog has concluded with a pile of files so big as to require the description 'ginormous'.   ;D

Now we can dig in and start filling the categories.  Now we can start the job of importing them to the site.

Once more...DCM, a shout-out to the Fellows of Good Will:  Zog, CaptainDJ, and Yoc...all fantastic guys, deserving of our eternal gratitude!

Sincere thanks to our friends at DCM for aiding us on this. Their gracious help will not be forgotten and will always be appreciated.

B.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »

It is very much appreciated by all of us over at DCM involved in this, that have helped make it possible for GAC to come back as fast as it's been.

Geo

PS: Chris I'm going to be up'ing some books that have been requested, but are not up yet on the site. Stay tuned for when I'm done up'ing them to the ftp for you folks to take care of them,ok?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:13:46 AM »

It is very much appreciated by all of us over at DCM involved in this, that have helped make it possible for GAC to come back as fast as it's been.

Geo

PS: Chris I'm going to be up'ing some books that have been requested, but are not up yet on the site. Stay tuned for when I'm done up'ing them to the ftp for you folks to take care of them,ok?

Will do!  ;D
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »

It's been a while since I have posted here, but here's some update on what has been happening.  For you lovers of Quality Publications (a certain Canadian site administrator comes to mind), good news.  We have imported a boat-load of stuff, re-sorted categories, and started cleaning up file names.

I think you will find the area much more user friendly.  Stop by and take a look at the progress.  There is still much to come, but many of the titles are coming closer to being up to snuff.

There is still a pile of Police, Plastic Man, Feature, Modern, Nation, Smash...you name it...in the pile to import, so keep your eyes peeled.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »

It's been a while since I have posted here, but here's some update on what has been happening.  For you lovers of Quality Publications (a certain Canadian site administrator comes to mind), good news.  We have imported a boat-load of stuff, re-sorted categories, and started cleaning up file names.

I think you will find the area much more user friendly.  Stop by and take a look at the progress.  There is still much to come, but many of the titles are coming closer to being up to snuff.

There is still a pile of Police, Plastic Man, Feature, Modern, Nation, Smash...you name it...in the pile to import, so keep your eyes peeled.

My time has become limited in what I can do...beyond what I already do I cannot help out much in the reconstruction as I'd like. However, we all know that things are in good hands. You guys are doing a fantastic job and service to all of fandom.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »

My progress has been slow since school started back. Yesterday I renamed a lot of Dells and the darn thing timed out before I submitted them and lost all the work
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »

Quality has had some good attention paid to it.  Not complete by a long-shot, but much, much better.  I was just re-reading a thread where Erik Larsen of Image/Savage Dragon/Next Issue Project fame had posted regarding a publishing project to collect and re-present Lev Gleason's Daredevil.  I think I will next poke around the L-G section and see what can be done to make us a little more current.

BTW, where the heck is the next issue of Next Issue?  The one titled Crack Comics #63 I believe?  It was supposed to be released the last week of December, and the web has no news of where it is.  C'mon, Erik! Get Cracking!  I have been loving these releases, full of fun and artists I love...Larsen, Allred.  I am Jonesing for the next release.
ip icon Logged

wrestler

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »

I haven't been by here in awhile.  Are you OK on replacing all of the Fawcett Captain Marvel/Marvel Family scans?  The list I see up there now is missing some scans that I would be happy to replace from the archives I've downloaded over the years.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.