in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Listenin' to

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Listenin' to  (Read 90490 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha Listenin' to
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2012, 02:30:24 AM »

Where did you find Kraken Wakes Joe it sounds good
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

It's available at the Internet Archive.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »

If that's an adaptation of the John Wyndham story, I fancy it.  Read the book many years ago. I'll have a look on Internet Archive.  Ta.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

I was out for lunch today with a crowd of blokes I went to school with and we were talking about old t.v. shows.  Somebody mentioned theme tunes and this site, but, I warn you, it's addictive.:-
http://www.televisiontunes.com/index.php
Some of you wont have heard some of the British show themes.  Try The Sweeney and ancient children's programme, Bill & Ben.  So much nostalgia.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »

I was out for lunch today with a crowd of blokes I went to school with and we were talking about old t.v. shows.  Somebody mentioned theme tunes and this site, but, I warn you, it's addictive.:-
http://www.televisiontunes.com/index.php
Some of you wont have heard some of the British show themes.  Try The Sweeney and ancient children's programme, Bill & Ben.  So much nostalgia.

Paw,  I've been to the site several times now and it has the theme music/songs for tons of old TV.  Many that I had not seen in years.  Lots more that I never even heard of.  A very fun, nostalgic site. 

Thanks for providing the link.

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »

Still listening to a number of the same shows this past month-another week of Chandu the Magician, a couple more CBS Radio Mystery Theaters, and another Sexton Blake.

Finished up the 1937 episodes of Shell Chateau that I had tracked down and started listening to episodes of another comedy-variety show from that same year The Chase and Sanborn Hour who's highlight, for me anyway, was the comedy routines of W. C. Fields (often with Bergen and McCarthy).

After listening to that CBC serial of The Kraken Wakes last month I went looking for something similar and found a six-part BBC adaptation of The Day of the Triffids from 1960.  Good stuff!

Finally in the days leading up to St. Paddy's day I found myself listening to episodes of Beat the Band, Burns and Allen, The Lux Radio Theater and Have Gun Will Travel that all had a St. Patrick's Day (or at least an Irish) theme to them.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »

Haven't listened to too much OTR this past month.  Squeezed in a couple of episodes of the CBS Mystery Theater but took a break from Chandu and Sexton Blake.
I started this month by listening to April Fool's Day episodes of Blondie, The Mel Blanc Show and My Favorite Husband as well as the famous Frankenstein Castle hoax that was played on Armed Forces Network broadcaster Carl Nelson back in 1952.
The one lengthy bit of OTR I did listen to was the six-part BBC serial of Paul Temple and the Geneva Mystery from 1965.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

There are only a few episodes available but ARCHIE is pretty good OTR
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »

Wile looking through the Internet Archives OTR collection, I ran across a CBC series from the 1980s called "Nightfall" with some pretty good episodes. Am currently listening to another Wyndham adaptation, "The Chrysalids", in three parts. I believe this is the third multi - part radio presentation of his work I have found on the archive. His stories do seem to adapt well for radio. Also  found "Five-Minute Mysteries"- very short and fun for the armchair sleuth. "Screen Guild Theater" also has some very good movie adaptations, many with the original stars. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »

And what would the Chrisalids be? SciFi?
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »

Yes, sci-fi, indeed. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »

This past month in addition to more CBS Mystery Theaters episodes I squeezed in a couple examples of radio variety shows from the 1930s and 40s- Jack Haley's Log Cabin Jamboree and Chesterfield Supper Club.
Another one I really enjoyed some episodes of were AFRTS transcriptions of Alan Freed's Rock and Roll Dance Party which featured live performances of popular singers and groups of the mid 1950s.  Despite the show's title not all of the performers were Rock and Roll singers so Tony Bennett and Count Bassie sometimes shared airtime with Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Laverne Baker, The Platters, The Robins and more.  Looking forward to listening to more of these.
Finally found a site that had all of the episodes of a series I have heard scattered episodes of since I was a teenager.  The Golden Age of Radio featured not only clips from a wide avriety of shows but also interviews with many performers, writers, directors, producers, etc.. who actually worked in OTR.  After a few specials in the 1960s the show became a monthly staple in 1970 running into 1977.   Check it out.

http://www.goldenage-wtic.org/log.html

Best

Joe 
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »

Thanks for this great link, Joe. I'm listening to program 45 (interview with Himan Brown) while I'm writing this. Fabulous program and , at least in this episode, some download links to some actual OTR shows. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »

My OTR listening has been pretty light this past month.  Squeezed in some Memorial Day episodes of Cavalcade of America, Anthology, Raymond Gram Swing, Against the Storm, and The Great Gildersleeve and around Father's Day I listened to some episodes of Father Knows Best, A Date with Judy, Dragnet and The Aldrich Family that all concentrated on Dads.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

Brian Burnett on Radio Scotland.  His evening show each night has a theme and listeners call in their record preferences connected to the theme.  Great one tonight - 4th. of July.  Excellent selection of tunes to celebrate your holiday. Folk calling in from all over the world.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »

We traveled some eight hours to Virginia so my wife can visit Civil War sites. Unfortunately she does not like OTR. I got XM radio just for the week to listen while traveling. While she slept I was able to listen to some Sam Spade and a Detective movie type story. Most of the time Foxnews.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »

Again rather light on my OTR listening this past month.  Squeezed in some Fourth of July episodes of Meet the Meeks, Our Miss Brooks, Calling All Cars and You Are There during the first week. 

Other than that only a couple of episodes of the excellent Golden Age of Radio series that I've mentioned before.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

I like listening to a variety of musical styles, but especially smooth jazz and prog rock.  This last weekend I picked up a few classical offerings, including Mendelssohn, Schubert and Schumann.  Also, J.S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, although they only had the first disc with the first three concertos, but not the second disc with 4, 5, and 6.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:18 AM »

I just recently discovered youtube (I'm relatively new to computers) and have been listening to a lot of Dr. Demento stuff, like ELVIS IS EVERYWHERE by Mojo Nixon, MY NAME IS LARRY by Wildman Fischer, STAR TREKKIN' by The Firm, PENCIL NECK GEEK by Classy Freddie Blassie, and many others - it is to laugh!
ip icon Logged

moondood

message icon
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

I'm very surprised to see so much OTR mentioned here.  Not sure why, exactly, I suppose it fits into the whole GA comics thing pretty neatly.

My wife tells me [and I agree] that I was born in the wrong decade.  Seems all my interests lie in a much older pop culture era: GA Comics, Pulps, OTR, B Westerns, etc.

As for my recent listening, I've been playing a lot of Red Ryder, Roy Rogers, and Our Miss Brooks shows.

I'm a comics letterer by trade, so I tend to set up a playlist in the morning and go through it while I work on the pages.  It's always a mixed bag: Richard Diamond, The Saint, Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Archie, Burns and Allen, Texas Rangers, Fred Allen, Jack Benny, Black Museum, Blondie, Bob Hope, Blue Beetle, Boston Blackie, Green Hornet, This is your FBI, etc....

My top two favorites, though, are Dragnet and Gunsmoke. Wonderful programs.  Was kind of a surprise to find that William Conrad was Marshall Dillon at first, though.  Listening to all that OTR it's clear that Will Conrad was a very busy man.  His distinctive voice can be heard on dozens of shows over time...often playing a badman.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »

We listened to several OTR episodes on XM traveling to PA for a quick visit to family. I enjoy listening to Greg Bell telling interesting tidbits. Conrad used pseudonyms to do shows outside his contract. Like anyone listening did not know that it was him :)
ip icon Logged

moondood

message icon
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

Oh, I wanted to alert those unfamiliar with the wonders of OTR that a lot of free shows can be had at:

http://zootradio.com/joomla/

There are other places online, too--and if you're short of time to Download files, there are plenty of cheap collections for sale on ebay.  That's how I started.  I think it was my sudden interest in pulps about 12 years ago that led me to the Shadow radio show...then to other OTR.

Another source is OTR podcasts thru iTunes.  Subscribe to any of several offerings, and they download to your iTunes library and you can listen at your leisure.  There are Western-themed podcasts, Sci-Fi, Detective, Suspense, etc...

That's a good way to get started.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

Do you know a job that William Conrad had that was a hoot? He was the narrator in the Rocky the Flying Squirrel cartoons.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2012, 02:52:45 AM »

I had forgotten about that Robin. Rocky was a high class act.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »

I have listened to an eclectic bunch of shows in recent weeks including episodes of 21st Precinct (good police procedural along the lines of Dragnet), The Amazing Mr. Malone, The Bing Crosby Show (funny episode with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall guesting), The Clyde Beatty Show (trouble at the circus), Crazy Hillbillies (the advertisers sounded like nothing more than snake oil salesmen), The Hardy Family (Mickey Rooney and co. bring their screen series to the airwaves), Hollywood Byline (an unedited transcription-interesting), Jill Cody Sings, MGM Theatre, Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt's Own Program (short-lived 15-minute show featuring the first lady) , Suspense, That's Rich, This is the Story, Time Out, and High Adventure.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.