in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,066 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha' Readin'?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha' Readin'?  (Read 29067 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Watcha' Readin'?
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »

I've noticed that some comic related " readin' " has been slipping into the " Watcha' Readin' " column for books over on the General Discussion board so I thought I'd start one in the Comic Talk board just for comics, graphics novels, comic strip collections downloaded comics, etc...

Showcase Presents Dial H for Hero  and Showcase Presents Metamorpho

Two DC series that originally started at about the same time (mid 1960s) and ended after a two-three year run.  I remember picking up some issues of both series off the spinner racks (more of the later title than the former) as a kid and reading those issues at the time.  Later on in the 1970s as a teen I completed runs of both and read them all.  Since then I don't believe I've read any of either's original series until picking up these trades.

Ramona Fradon (who I have come to appreciate more and more over the years) does some very nice art on the early Metamorpho issues (along with inker Charles Paris).  Although not as inspired as Fradon's work most of the later issues, first by Joe Orlando and then by Sal Trapani (with Paris wisely kept on as inker), generally capture the style that Ramona set for the series.  Only the final issue with Jack Sparling's Caniffish art is a jarring departure from the rest of the series in art style.  There's also two Brave and Bold issues and one JLA issue all penciled by Mike Sekowsky that manage to stay close enough to Fradon's version that they are also not too much a change of style.
The stories are all (except for the Gardner Fox JLA tale) written by Bob Haney and fun (if you don't have a problem with Haney-speak) in that 1960s goofy sort of way.  Metamorpho has a good simple cast-Rex (Metamorpho), Sapphire (his beautiful blond girlfriend), Simon Stagg (Saph's daddy, multi-millionaire and genius who's also a bit of a villain always trying to manipulate Rex into doing his bidding while pretending to be looking for a cure to his freakish condition) and finally Java (resurrected caveman who has the hots for Saph and wants desperately to get rid of Rex so he can move in on her). 

Dial H for Hero didn't hold up as well for me.  The art is solid (Jim Mooney on the first 15 issues followed by Frank Springer on 2 issues and Sal Trapani on the final issue) and pretty consistent.  The concept is simple and promising.  A teenager finds a mysterious dial that when he dials the letters H-E-R-O changes into a different superhero (a few heroes are used more than once over the course of the series).  What I found most lacking in all these stories (all credited to Dave Wood) and what I think contributed to it's eventual demise was the lack of a solid supporting cast for our hero-teenager Robby Reed.  Except for Robby's Gramps and housekeeper Miss Millie, who never do much, the only other semi-regular in the series is Robby's school mate Suzy, who it seems at times, Robby might be getting a crush but nothing is really ever developed along these angles except the suggestion.  In one issue Suzy does discover Robby secret and becomes a superhero herself and I started thinking that this could be interesting-changing the dynamics of the series a bit and all.   But No!  By the end of the story Suzy gets knocked on the head and forgets everything she has learned and done and it's back to the same old status quo.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Watcha' Readin'?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »

Doesn't Metamorpho Girl or Lady Metamorpho or some nonsense like that, turn up later in the series?
Our local library has a number of the Showcase volumes and I was reading their copy of World's Finest just the other day.  Funny seeing these in b&w. Most American strips way back were reprinted here in b&w.
Dial H for Hero was good entertainment when it came out and I have the early issues - Giant Man, The Mole? etc.
I'm currently reading the 2nd. vol. of Jet Scott, the newspaper strip by Jerry Robinson, while dipping in and out of vol. 2 of The Phantom strip collection by Hermes.  And, as I recently received a small pile of reprints from ADCCC, I've had the pleasure of reading more Paul Temple, Tug Transome (which is a beautiful strip by Peter O'Donnell and Alfred Sindall), (both of these were newspaper strips), and Jet Ace Logan from The Comet.
This is a good idea, Joe.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »

MARVEL MASTERWORKS Vol.23

Of course, the book with the "mystical" number would be DR. STRANGE. I liked the purple binding with the "Eye Of Agamotto" in the center.

The coloring on this book is quite fascinating. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the coloring in the original STRANGE TALES issues, but is cool in its own way. It does try to overpower the fact that the line reproduction, as on 99% of Marvel reprints back then, was pitiful compared to the original comics. Oh well. You can still enjoy the stories.

This is STEVE DITKO at his wildest. He starts out rather crude, but about 9 episode in (The ORIGIN, I believe it was produced 9th but published 4th because Stan really wanted an origin ASAP) it starts to develop into something really amazing. That's also when at least 2 members of the cast appear to be "recast". When he started out, Doc looked like Vincent Price (see THE RAVEN), but starting with the origin, he becomes Ronald Colman (see LOST HORIZON).  Baron Mordo also appears to change from a very vague Lon Chaney Jr. (see THE HAUNTED PALACE) to more of a Torin Thatcher (see JACK THE GIANT KILLER). I still can't figure out who Clea may have been based on... anybody familiar with actresses from the 30's to the 60's, which is where much of Ditko's influences seem to be coming from?  Oh yeah, I also suspect Victoria Bentley may have been based on Debra Paget (who played Vincent Price's wife in both TALES OF TERROR and THE HAUNTED PALACE).

For once, I'm planning to read the origin in the sequence I believe it was done, between "The House of Shadows" and "Midnight in the Wax Museum" (which is where Doc's appearance changes).

The book neatly breaks down into 2 parts.  The first half are all individual short stories, each cool in their own way, except for the 2-part "Dread Dormammu" story. The 2nd half is what I like to refer to as "The Epic", which begins with "The Defeat Of Dr. Strange" and continues all the way up to "Let There Be Victory".

If I have any gripe with this 1992 volume, it's that they didn't add a couple dozen extra pages and have the ENTIRE Ditko run in a single volume.  When, years later, they FINALLY got around to doing a 2nd DS Masterwork book, it started with Ditko's last 5 episodes, before moving into the 2nd big era of the character, what was, due to story structure, virtually a single unbroken 22-EPISODE storyline.  (Shades of DARK SHADOWS!)

Whenever I look back on Doc's run in STRANGE TALES, I often think some enterprising Hollywood producer could easily get 3 feature films out of this, without having to change much.  I imagine a "first" movie consisting of many small adventures, leading up to a big climax with Doc's confrontation with Dormammu. The next 17 episodes would make for an incredible sequel, while the final 22 episodes could make up a rather long, rambling 3rd film. In this day of things like LORD OF THE RINGS and the like, extra-long films are not unheard of.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:20:24 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:25:26 PM »

Doesn't Metamorpho Girl or Lady Metamorpho or some nonsense like that, turn up later in the series?

Yeah I forgot to mention Urania Blackwell aka Element Girl.  She first appears in issue #10 and seems to have been "killed off" by the end of the issue but is revived by issue #13 and becomes both a partner of sorts for Rex as well as a romantic rival for his affections which creates some conflicts with Sapphire, etc...   The original series ended with issue #17 which left a number of plot lines dangling that I don't believe were ever fully resolved.

Our local library has a number of the Showcase volumes and I was reading their copy of World's Finest just the other day.  Funny seeing these in b&w. Most American strips way back were reprinted here in b&w.

The Phoenix library also has quite a few Showcase Presents, DC Chronicles and Marvel Essential volumes (along with a few DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks hardcovers) as well as a number of other comic strip and book collections.  I only just discovered how many they actually have when I wandered into the teen room, for the first time in years, a few months back.

I'm currently reading the 2nd. vol. of Jet Scott, the newspaper strip by Jerry Robinson,

I'm glad to see Jerry Robinson getting his due lately while he is still alive to enjoy it.  Those two Jet Scott volumes and the recent bio on Jerry are all very nice looking books.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:35:54 AM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

MARVEL MASTERWORKS Vol.23

This is STEVE DITKO at his wildest. He starts out rather crude, but about 9 episode in (The ORIGIN, I believe it was produced 9th but published 4th because Stan really wanted an origin ASAP)

Henry, 

You can always check the job numbers on those stories.  That should tell you in what order they were produced.  Doc V and the guys over at the Timely-Atlas Yahoo group have found many Atlas era stories that were published out of order via that method.

Enjoyed your analysis of these early Doctor Strange stories.  Movie buff that I am, I never noticed the Vincent Price/Ronald Colman comparisons until you mentioned them.  Good catch.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

I'm supposed to be the obscure heroes expert, over here at any rate, and I couldn't for the life of me remember her name.  Nor do I still have the comics. 
Interesting that libraries, when I was young, wouldn't consider in any way having comics on the shelves. I'm sure they felt it was beneath them. Now, I can pop down the road and borrow collections and G.N.s from a fair sized selection.
I enjoyed those early Dr. Strange stories and you've put me in the mood to borrow them also.  Thanks to both of you.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »

Didn't know where to put this but as I read a wee bit of the current issue today and read but didn't pay for #1, I thought here would be O.K.
This is about Clint, the relatively new British comic from Mark Millar.  Only my opinion (well, actually, it isn't as many other comics fans feel the same) but it's horrible.  Because he has secured a number of big British personalities to write for Clint he seems to feel he can get away with foul language and sensationalism.  Some of you will have heard of Jonathan Ross, Frankie Boyle and you'll certainly recognise Ian Rankin (haven't read his contribution, so no comment there).  I hope someone here will have had a look at Clint and I would be interested in your opinion.  I'm probably just an old duffer who feels that some of the content is just plain objectionable and I admit to not being a fan of Mr. Millar's work.  But I do know he's intelligent enough to differentiate between weather and climate (reference to this issues editorial), and to do it without cursing and swearing.

There is also another new comic on the horizon and that's Strip magazine.  And no, it's not a journal for the adult entertainment industry.  I am looking forward to this with a more positive attitude.  More as I find it.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »

First Wave #1-6 -(DC)-

I recently finished reading this mini-series that DC used to introduce another of their "universes".  This one, which seems to be set in current times, is populated by such pulp heroes as Doc Savage and The Avenger, Will Eisner's Spirit and such DC characters as Rima the Jungle Girl, The Blackhawks (a very mercenary bunch that seems modeled, IIRC, after Howard Chaykin's take on the group) and a very young Batman.
The series was supposed to be the vehicle to launch the new universe as well as the reboots of Doc Savage and The Spirit comics but soon fell behind in schedule finally finishing up over 6 months behind when they wrapped it up.

The art throughout the series is penciled by Rags Morales.  Rags also inked the first two issues with Rick Bryant (assisted here and there by both Bob Almond and Phil Winsdale) inking the remaining issues.  Since Rags is one of my favorite current artists I have no complaints at all about the art.  Some of it's down rite gorgeous.

About the story and the handling of the characters by writer Brian Azzarello I have conflicting feelings. 
I like his handling of Doc and his crew, for the most part.  I enjoyed them in this adventure better than in the what they've been going through for the first dozen issues of their own comic that DC has put out so far. 
His handling of the Spirit I'm less keen on.  He seems to be more of a smart-ass here than I'm used to and I'm also confused about his revamping of Ebony.  Here she's seems to be a pretty sexy young black woman but in the current Spirit comic my impression has been that she was a teen or pre-teen.
The new to crime fighting Batman shows promise.  The Avenger is grimmer than I remember him from those pulp reprints I read back in the 70s but that may be just my memory not working correctly.  Rima is barely used (but she sure looks great as depicted by Rags) so it's really hard to judge her character.  I never cared for Chaykin's approach to the Blackhawks and didn't care for it being used here either.

All in all more good than bad.  Worth reading but nothing to get overly excited over.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »

Checked outa' my local library-

Spider-Man: With Great Power by David Lapham and Tony Harris-(Marvel)-

This is a collection of the five issue Marvel Knights mini-series.  It takes its cue from a brief section in Spidey's origin story in Amazing Fantasy #15 where Peter Parker becomes a professional wrestler after being bitten by the radioactive spider and expands on it greatly exploring Peter's relationship with his Aunt, Uncle and classmates during this period.  Lapham also explores Peter's grappling with the idea of becoming a hero as well as J. Jonah Jameson's early zeroing in on Spidey as a target for his editorial excoriations.
Tony Harris does the art for the first four issues and because he relies heavily on photo reference, using models for all of his characters, a number of them don't always look like the classic Ditko versions that were established back in the day.  Most are passably in the range of the original interpretation and a few are spot on (Jameson for example) but others aren't even close (such as Uncle Ben).  Other than that his art works just fine in telling the story. 
For some reason the last issue of the original mini-series was illustrated by Lapham, who tried hard to get away from his own very different style of art, and draw the story in Harris' s manner.  He succeeds well enough.  It's not seamless but gets the job done.

Crogan's Vengeance by Chris Schweizer-(Oni Press)-(B/W-190 pages)-

A very good swashbuckling pirate tale written and drawn by Chris Schweizer.  Schweizer has a very loose cartoony style that reminds me of one of those underground cartoonists such as Larry Gonick or Hunt Emerson.  His storytelling is solid and the art works just fine in what is a pretty straight story (albeit one with moments of humor).  He's also done his homework researching the history and look of the period regarding both art and story.
Apparently the first in a series.  I look forward to reading more.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »

Enjoyed your analysis of these early Doctor Strange stories.  Movie buff that I am, I never noticed the Vincent Price/Ronald Colman comparisons until you mentioned them.  Good catch.

I'd been wondering about it for years, and then about 10 years back I suddenly started watching Ronald Colman movies on TCM. But it was someone else online who pointed out Vincent Price in the early ("crude") stories. Truthfully, as I look over the episodes in the book, the transition is not so cut and dry. It's very obvious the origin was done after a certain number of stories, but then George Roussos comes along and totally obscures the art evolution for several months. When Ditko gets back to inking, there's a major JUMP in quality. I can't escape the feeling he was VERY inspired when he did those-- from "The Domain of the Dread Dormammu" on up. But once past "Face-to-Face At Last With Baron Mordo", there's a slight drop-off and it never reaches those heights again. Perhaps Ditko NEVER did again. I understand something similar happened with Jack Kirby during the last year at Marvel before he went to DC. He lost his enthusiasm for working for Lee & Goodman.

Anyway, Strange still does look somewhat like Price in the origin, but it seems a more "realistic" depiction, less "cartoony". But Ditko's art is cartoony by nature, so we're not excactly getting Paul Gulacy-style "realism". There are panels where I'd swear he looked like David Niven (who Stan once suggested he waas based on).  I still recall what a laugh I got out of finaly getting to watch THE PRISONER OF ZENDA on TCM.  Both ronald Colman AND David Niven are in that film together, and it allows you to really compare and contrast them, especially their personalities.  (I wish I'd taped that film, it really is a classic. I've seen the DOCTOR WHO version at least a dozen times-- and then of course there's the GET SMART tribute, where Don Adams does a Colman impression.)

I sometimes wonder who later artists may have based their versions on, as so often the later guys (and fans) seemed to have NO idea who the original artists had in mind, especially when you're dealing with "cartoon" styles (Kirby, Ditko, Heck). What amazed me back in the late 70's was when they did the DR. STRANGE tv-movie, and Peter Hooten was a DEAD RINGER for Frank Brunner's version of the character.  (The very peculiar thing about that film, of course, was that it features an ENGLISH "Ancient One" (John MIlls), and as the villain, Morgan Le Fay (Jessica Walter)-- both of whom, a year earlier, had been regulars in the brand-new SPIDER-WOMAN comic-book! How's that for mixing up source materials? NOBODY in Hollywood in the 70's had any respect for comics-- especially the people doing films based on them.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:09:04 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »

I'm reading the Mass Effect GN. I have all the original Dial H run. I have most of the HOM Martian Manhunter and many of Detective.
ip icon Logged

FusKus

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »

I read the first Mass Effect miniseries, and I'm currently picking up the newer one.  They really created a great setting for that franchise.  So many interesting alien races, each with their own sets of problems and advantages.  Very cool stuff.

I currently read Savage Dragon and Marvel's "The Stand" comic adaptation.

As far as Golden Age stuff goes, I've mostly just been reading a lot of Captain Marvel stuff.  He's a favorite of mine.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

I finished the Mass Effect graphic novel and going to start the next run soon
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »

I currently read Savage Dragon and Marvel's "The Stand" comic adaptation.

FusKus, I have been a Savage Dragon fan from way back.  I always liked Larsen's irreverent sense of humor and his fearless tendency to make obvious references to current affairs or other characters, even if they belong to another company.

And, while he's not Kirby, he draws as if he is Kirby, with the same energy and looseness.
ip icon Logged

FusKus

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »

FusKus, I have been a Savage Dragon fan from way back.  I always liked Larsen's irreverent sense of humor and his fearless tendency to make obvious references to current affairs or other characters, even if they belong to another company.

There's something to be said for a comic creator who's willing to have his title character punching out the President on the cover of his comic.  Whether you agree with his political tendencies or not, you have to respect the way Larsen doesn't shy away from making them known.

Plus I love the way, especially over the last year or so, that I can actually be worried about what will happen in the series.  With books like Spider-Man or Superman, you pretty much know all major changes are temporary.  With Savage Dragon though, even the title character might not be around forever.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »

Crogan's March by Chris Schweizer-(Oni Press)-(B/W-208 pages)-
Scweizer's followup to Crogan's Vengeance tracks another branch of the Crogan family tree.  This time we have a cracklin' good French Foreign Legion story set in North Africa c. 1912 containing some of the best old fashioned adventure since Roy Crane was working in the field.

Speaking of Roy Crane I highly, highly recommend Fantagraphics current reprinting of Crane's CAPTAIN EASY, SOLDIER OF FORTUNE:THE COMPLETE SUNDAY NEWSPAPER STRIPS.   I have NBM's earlier set of the complete run of Crane's work on Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy and those are fine for the daily strips but the Sunday strips were not only reprinted in B/W halftones but often rearranged to fit NBM's oblong book format.  In these Fantagraphic volumes Crane's wonderful pages have their format preserved intact and we also get them in beautiful color.  Currently my favorite reprint series going!

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:06:31 PM by josemas »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »

My wife and I have been away for a while, some of which time we spent in Manchester (the English city, that is).  While there I found some comic shops with virtually no interesting back issues. But there is a bookstall in the centre and in a box I found piles of old (1950's- early 60's) British weeklies.  So balancing whether to spend a lot on comics or keep enough to take my wife for dinner, I decided discretion was the best choice and just took a few examples. So, 10 issues of Chips and 10 issues of Tip Top.  Each (non consecutive) issue of Chips has a one page episode of Paul Power and his Speed Shell.  Great stuff and I've now worked my way through them.
Also, my pal sold me more Dell titles and I really am hooked.  Great, simple stories often with competent to wonderful art and I don't know how I missed out on these for so many years.
Plus, my Italian teacher brought me back a copy of Diabolik, from her holiday in Italy. Entertainment plus helping my Italian.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »

Another pile of Dells from my pal has seen another reduction in my current account.  But it's worth it.  Just finished Shotgun Slade; Wyatt Earp#12 and Tales of the Texas Rangers #11.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:01:58 PM »

Another pile of Dells from my pal has seen another reduction in my current account.  But it's worth it.  Just finished Shotgun Slade; Wyatt Earp#12 and Tales of the Texas Rangers #11.

Who did the art on these, Paw?

Curious

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:35 PM »

Whatt Earp should be some Russ Manning art one of my faves.
John Ushler on Texas R
Slade may be Sparky Moore

all according to the GCD
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »

Thanks for the opinion on Shotgun Slade.  I don't even recognise the name - I thought it looked a bit like Jesse Marsh - but it isn't.
Earp is Manning - really nice, as usual but the 4 page filler is well done and I haven't a clue who drew it.
As for Jace Pearson ToTR , I'm not good enough nowadays to identify artists if they are some of the "lesser known" guys.  There was a time..........
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »

According to GCD the filler was Sparky Moore. Does it resemble the Shotgun Slade?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »

Nope!  Back to the drawing board, as it were.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »

Here's p.1 Shotgun Slade followed by p.1 of the 4 page filler from Wyatt Earp.

Have the evening to myself so I'll have a search in GCD
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

Images did not come through including your avatar
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.