in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Silver Age Spotlight

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Silver Age Spotlight  (Read 16861 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Silver Age Spotlight
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »

Gang it is time for a switch. Most of you are aware of DCM. They are doing a great job of carrying golden age public domain comics. GAC and DCM have become near mirror sites. We are contemplating GAC dominating the silver age public domain comics. This would consist primarily of Charltons but does include later Prize and some others. We would continue to be for public domain legal downloads only. There is also thought into hosting webcomics. These would be at the behest of the creators who would  want their works spotlighted. Since we have so many GA books here already we can allow them to stay in their own link. Our emphasis will switch to Charlton and others and to webcomics. If you are a webcomics creator you may be very interested in this and want us to carry your books.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Silver Age Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »

Just what other Silver Age material is there that we know is public domain? 

I know we have some ACG titles and couple of Dell issues.  Are there more titles from these companies that we can go after? 

With Tower I'm assuming we're limited to the non-superhero stuff.  Correct?

Also what about Treasure Chest?  This title ran well into the SA and had some nice art in it scattered throughout those years.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »

Just what other Silver Age material is there that we know is public domain? 

I know we have some ACG titles and couple of Dell issues.  Are there more titles from these companies that we can go after? 

With Tower I'm assuming we're limited to the non-superhero stuff.  Correct?

Also what about Treasure Chest?  This title ran well into the SA and had some nice art in it scattered throughout those years.

Best

Joe

Re. the TOWER stuff, there appears to be a lot of confusion on this. From PDSH http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes :
"Tower Comics never registered its titles with the US copyright office, nor did it include a correct copyright notice on their books. The copyright notice on the first issue was not in the proper location of the book which under copyright law at the time of it's publication had to be "either upon the title page or upon the first page of text of each separate number or under the title heading." Secondly, it was hidden in the artwork, which goes against the part of the law that stipulates that "The notice should be permanently legible to an ordinary user of the work under normal conditions of use and should not be concealed from view upon reasonable examination." According to US copyright law, all works published between 1923-1977 that did not comply with copyright law became public domain upon publication. So, because the first issue had an incorrect notice, the characters fell into the public domain.

Only the Tower Comics version of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents is in the public domain. All subsequent versions published by DC Comics, JC Comics, Deluxe Comics, etc. are NOT. Also the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents are curretly trademarked by John Carbonaro's estate (Carbonaro himself died in Febuaury 25, 2009)."

There is also info on DCM http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1879.msg20891.html#msg20891

I can cut and paste!

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

It will mostly be Charlton. Charlton has a big following. I think we can bring some life into discussions and so forth. Wildthing can do some checking on other things. I am not sure what the last date to require registering but there were indy 80's with no copyright as well as fanzines. I think with any of these we need to make effort to contact the creators first and se if we can get their permission and honor any who desire not to be here. I think anything we put here is good advertisement for whomever desires it. Webcomics have proven that being online promotes paper sales. We need to first get the front page up then figure out how it can be changed regularly. I think a dynamic front page is important to making this a kick butt website.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:14:46 AM »

Is Ghostly Tales PD?

If so, there are a bunch here:

Sorry the site contains non PD material also so better we do not promote it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:30:33 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »

Things changed around 1967-8 when Charlton began to put copyrights in their books. If it does not have a copyright statement then it is PD
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »

Gang it is time for a switch. Most of you are aware of DCM. They are doing a great job of carrying golden age public domain comics. GAC and DCM have become near mirror sites. We are contemplating GAC dominating the silver age public domain comics. This would consist primarily of Charltons but does include later Prize and some others. We would continue to be for public domain legal downloads only. There is also thought into hosting webcomics. These would be at the behest of the creators who would  want their works spotlighted. Since we have so many GA books here already we can allow them to stay in their own link. Our emphasis will switch to Charlton and others and to webcomics. If you are a webcomics creator you may be very interested in this and want us to carry your books.

I have been writing a ton of scripts featuring PD characters and some entirely original material as well. When I say a ton, I mean a ton, there are a huge number of them.

I've been contemplating the idea of presenting these stories online for free and I think this site would be the perfect home for them, but here's the problem, I can't draw, and I would need to find some artists for these scripts, but my search has been less than successful.

I know there are a number of talented artists on this site and I am wondering if some of you might be interested in getting involved in this project. I cannot pay, but I think it would be great exposure for anyone in involved, and a fun project too.

If someone is reading this and their interest is piqued, send me a private message, and we can discuss all of this further.

ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »

Gang it is time for a switch. Most of you are aware of DCM. They are doing a great job of carrying golden age public domain comics. GAC and DCM have become near mirror sites. We are contemplating GAC dominating the silver age public domain comics. This would consist primarily of Charltons but does include later Prize and some others. We would continue to be for public domain legal downloads only. There is also thought into hosting webcomics. These would be at the behest of the creators who would  want their works spotlighted. Since we have so many GA books here already we can allow them to stay in their own link. Our emphasis will switch to Charlton and others and to webcomics. If you are a webcomics creator you may be very interested in this and want us to carry your books.

I have been writing a ton of scripts featuring PD characters and some entirely original material as well. When I say a ton, I mean a ton, there are a huge number of them.

I've been contemplating the idea of presenting these stories online for free and I think this site would be the perfect home for them, but here's the problem, I can't draw, and I would need to find some artists for these scripts, but my search has been less than successful.

I know there are a number of talented artists on this site and I am wondering if some of you might be interested in getting involved in this project. I cannot pay, but I think it would be great exposure for anyone in involved, and a fun project too.

If someone is reading this and their interest is piqued, send me a private message, and we can discuss all of this further.

Have you checked out deviantart.com? It's an artist site ranging from amateur to pro. Perhaps you'll find a taker there.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »

Have you checked out deviantart.com? It's an artist site ranging from amateur to pro. Perhaps you'll find a taker there.

I have tried there and a number of different forums. Every time I have tried this, I get a number of interested people, but most of the time they want to be paid, and I have no way of doing that at the moment.

I have received some art from a few artists, but it's as if they start working on something, give it up, walk away, and never contact me again. I did receive a fully penciled story from a guy in the Philippines, but it has yet to be inked, or colored, or lettered. Needless to say it's all very frustrating.

I've gone as far as to buy a few cartooning books and supplies, but anything beyond basic character designs is way out of my league.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Jerry Lewis
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »

It has been pointed out elsewhere that Jerry Lewis comics were not renewed so any through 1963 are PD. Should we put them up here? I do not think we would have any trouble from DC because they do not own the rights to their celebrity comics anyway from what I understand.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »

I just saw what Jerry Lewis had to say about DC not owning the rights to their celebrity comics, and I think he may be on to something, although there WERE original characters in a couple of titles ( Renfrew in Jerry Lewis, Superhip in Bob Hope) that, knowing DC, are probably copyrighted, although a more minor character than Renfrew is hard to imagine. Maybe the copyright protection afforded to some of their celebrity titles in this manner was the main reason some of these characters were created in the first place? Still, I'd love to see some of these titles run here to see artists like Mort Drucker and Bob Oskner, but I'm sure if it could be done, it would have been by now -
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »

"The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis" have renewals filed by Paramount Pictures Corporation for issues 1-27, 29 and 37.
So it looks like 28, and 30-36 are public domain.

Mark should we host them?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »

Sure:) But, probably an idea to double check.
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »

Thank you to Jerry Lewis, What a nice guy!
ip icon Logged

unclerobin@att.net

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 07:34:05 PM »

Oh, by the way, that Crosseyed Cyclops blog that Roygbiv666 recommended on July 22, 2011? Don't bother trying downloads off of it, the Feds shut it down. A good reason to stay in the public domain, eh?
ip icon Logged

alfje

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »

You're still able to download from the ********, but only the files that haven't been hosted on Megaupload.
If you see a file you want, first mouse over the download link and, depending on what browser you use, you can see the where the file is hosted.
If it's Megaupload you won't be able to download it, but if it's hosted on Sharebee (for instance) you're still able to 'get it'. ;)

The site mentioned previously contains both pd and non PD material. We do not want to get in any trouble ourselves so we do not promote any site that contains non PD material.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:32:57 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.