in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Big Little Books

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Big Little Books  (Read 5792 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Big Little Books
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:55 AM »

A new section has been added for Big Little Books. Many of these are public domain. They are frequently based on comic strip characters. They are a pain to scan so please let me know you enjoy them as I have more to scan. Ghost Avenger and Maximo are next up.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Big Little Books
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »

Do you have any of the ones featuring b-western stars? I know that both Gene Autry and Roy Rogers were both featured in big little books.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »

They are a pain to scan so please let me know you enjoy them as I have more to scan. Ghost Avenger and Maximo are next up.

I can imagine.  Those BLBs must run a couple hundred pages.  Lotsa' scanning there.

Appreciate the extra effort.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:36:41 AM »

I just received two Tailspin Tommy a Radio Patrol and Dan Dunn. I do not think that I have any westerns
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »

I just received two Tailspin Tommy a Radio Patrol and Dan Dunn. I do not think that I have any westerns

I think actually had a few big little books as a kid, but I can't for the life of me remember which ones. I do have a stack of vintage Golden Books, but they're really my daughter's books, even though some of them are quite ancient.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »

Somewhere, boxed away, I have a few vintage BLBs.  I vaguely remember The Gumps, Radio Patrol and Don Winslow, maybe one or two more.  Odd items I picked up here or there.  I never really collected them.

I do have one featuring a B Western star (Buck Jones) sitting up on my book shelf facing outwards.  It looks kinda' neat sitting there.  It was given to me for free and when you take it off the shelf you can see why.  Bugs and/or rodents chewed away the whole last section of the book and damaged much more of the book but just seeing it sitting there on the shelf you'd never guess.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

If you take the time to read these things many of them are pretty good. If I can find it I got one several years ago that was very violent, I am thinking it was a Wash Tubbs. They are written at a variety of age levels so some are more juvenile. I hope people are enjoying these. The better the spine the harder to scan. The text is too close to the spine and with a good spine they will not lay flat. There is a reason not many are scanned.
ip icon Logged

The Jax

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: The Jax
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

I'm enjoying these a lot... I only wish there were more!
ip icon Logged

Big Book Joe

message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »

Wish there was a button to post a new comment.

I have come into some BLB I would like to sell for a friend, to whose father these had belongs. Five Tarzans, some Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Shadow, Phantom, some western, some crime/gman type things.

I tried posting on eBay and could get a bid. I contacted an auction house and the guy respondign said they were worth $900-$1500, but since they were not worth $5,000, he wouldn't touch them. (But he did offer me $100 for one of them).

In grading there are a couple of fair, but most are good to very good. A couple sat in awkward positions for more than 50 years, so a couple of books have a "curve" but the rest are flat.

Where would be a good play to seel them. She could use the money.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »

check for comparative prices on ebay....but the ones you seem to have are not that rare... of course it depends on the individual books themselves. some could be worth more than others. I have 5 bbl's. 2 Maximo's, 2 Scarlet O'Neil's and a Ghost Avenger.... most go in the 50 dollar range and they are not even that common among BBL's... good luck Sir.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 01:41:22 AM »

The BLB market, as near as I can tell, is pretty flat and stagnant right now.  In the past couple months I got a decent condition (not high grade, but structurally solid) copy of Laughing Dragon of Oz for $40, and a low grade copy of one of the Shadow BLB's for $10. 

I've got less than a dozen, but other than Laughing Dragon I've never paid over $10 for them.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.