in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Silverlight based Comic Reader

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Silverlight based Comic Reader  (Read 4358 times)

comicreadermobi

message icon
Silverlight based Comic Reader
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »

I built a Silverlight based version of my product, Comic Reader Mobi, that I thought you guys might be interested in.
Originally, I just made it to let people demo the app, but I realised with only a small modification, I could make it so that sites like yours could use it to show your own comics!

Its completely free for you to use, and I'm hoping it should make the online reading process a lot more enjoyable for everyone!

Plus, since it works off of individual pages and not cbrs, you guys can save a ton on bandwidth, as people won't have to download an entire series to see if they like it! They can just instantly start reading it with no delays or confusion about how to do it.

The process is pretty simple. You just need a url with all of the pages in the comic, than you can go here:
http://comicreader.mobi/OnlineReader.aspx
To get an embed tag to put on your page.

http://comicreader.mobi/CRM3/Yotsuba.html
Here's a sample of what it looks like :)

I'm really excited about this idea and I really want to see it catch on (online reading kind of sucks right now). If there's anything I can do to make the process a little more seamless for you guys, let me know :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:09:44 AM by comicreadermobi »
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Silverlight based Comic Reader
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »

Is this like the preview feature that they are now using over at the DCM (Digital Comics Museum)?

Curious

Joe
ip icon Logged

comicreadermobi

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »

Well its a far superior replacement for the preview function.
So instead of looking like this:
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=16078

It would look like this:
http://comicreader.mobi/CRM3/Baffling.html
ip icon Logged

comicreadermobi

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:13 AM »

Added a screenshot :)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »

Thank you sir.

Looks pretty cool to me.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:24:36 AM »

If you guys support this, I am fine with on the site. I know the creator is keen on promoting it.

Janus
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:39:24 AM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:03:27 PM »

I'll add my vote in support of this for the site. 

It sounds like a neat feature. 

Similar to but also different from what DCM has.

Joe
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »

That would be up to Mark now. However, I remember reading that the silverlight technology will eventually no longer be supported....just like flash. DCM never seemed to jump on it, and probably GAC-UK should not as well for the long run. For the short term yes it does look all good and nicey nice.

Mark, has some comic readers already on his other sites furycomics.com. This type of reader is like DCM's....

JW
ip icon Logged

comicreadermobi

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »

Although I can't speak officially for DCM, its my understanding that the people who can actually make the changes are rather difficult to get a hold of, so I don't expect anything for another month or two.

And although there's a lot of talk about not supporting flash and silverlight, I don't think that this is a real possibility. both Flash and Silverlight are capable of significantly more than even html5 can, and I doubt people will take to kindly to the idea once they realize just how many things they do in Flash on the web.
There will always be a market for a more powerful and feature rich plugin like them.

But even if all that were false being able to read your comics online as though you had downloaded them is a very cool and useful feature. Even if it is only available for the next 5 years :p
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.