in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

My Pull List

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

topic icon Author Topic: My Pull List  (Read 32167 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: My Pull List
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »

I just read Dragon Age: Those who Speak. It was interesting but started in the middle of a bigger story. So I went to digital.darkhorse.com and there is a digital only prequel of six 99 cent issues. So there went six dollars  ::) But I did enjoy the series. I also highly recommend the free Dark Horse digital of Falling Skies. So now I have to get the earlier IDW series. There really is plenty of good reading out there and something for everyone. The IDW version is by Orson Scott Card. I should go to my LCS tomorrow to pick up last Wednesday's pulls.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

Finally, someone gave "The Rocketeer" a real story line. The second series features a real villian and some references to past interactions between Cliff and "The Shadow". This could be pretty good. "Zorro" is reaching the end of the second series- still pretty good writing and art. Hope there will be more. "The Shadow" is also reaching the end of the current story. Looks like they're bringing in a new team for the next series. Sure hope they don't screw it up! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »

Just picked up and read Shadow#6 and the Shadow annual. Both are pretty good - issue 6 ending the current story line. The annual was a complete story and was very well-written and drawn, nicely blending the pulp and horror genres. Rocketeer#3 "Cargo of Doom" was also on my list. Although I'm not a big fan of Samnee's artwork, the story is getting better with each issue- about time this mag had a real story line! Also picked up the first issue of IDW's adaptation of "A Fine and Private Place". Read the novel as a teen and found it hauntingly beautiful. The first issue was quite good- hope the rest are as well. Still waiting for the final Zorro and Warriors of Mars #5. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »

I was reading Warriors of Mars but I have lost interest. I ordered several IDW clearance graphic novels. Diamond did not distribute to all their warehouses so they are on backoder. Diamond continues to be very hit or miss on my orders.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »

I read the first 2 issues of CLONE and just added it to my pull list. I guess you can guess that I liked it.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »

With the recent cancellation of the excellent Near Death, I got so disgusted that I almost gave up.  Instead, I cancelled Fatale; Saucer Country (both were becoming difficult reads to me); Daredevil ( I just got fed up) so I'm left with The Activity; Mud Man; Sixth Gun, which I'm getting in tpb format; Rocketeer and it is getting better and that's about it. Can't get into most of those modern masked men comics.
Fortunately, probably as I know one of the librarians, my local library is stocking the Cinebook European G.N.'s and I'm currently reading SPOOKS (about to start vol. 2).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »

Near Death was good. I think you might want to give Clone a try based on your other likes. I add very few new books and thought this one was worth it. I wish I would have started Sixth Man at the beginning. Saucer Country only has a few issues left.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
train wreck
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 11:01:17 PM »

A train wreck that I am reading for now is Avengers Arena. Killing off Marvel characters for our entertainment.
Not particularly original and I may not stick with it long.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Deathmatch
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »

Just read Boom Studios Deathmatch and actually liked it better than Avengers Arena
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Comixology digital
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »

For a digital download site, am I the only one who buys digital? I just finished Hero: 9 to 5 from Markosia. I think they only do digital now. Digital comics are usually 1 or 2 dollars and often have first issues free. I will say that I enjoyed the four issue series Hero: 9-5 as a bit of fun. I do not appreciate some of the language but that is what people today think is needed to be real. Comics are not real so they do not need that reality. I also bough Adam Wreck graphic novel and it is off to a pretty good start but I have only read a few pages.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 03:31:27 AM »

This forum is not used enough. I know I should post after each batch of books. I do not always read my books for awhile. I also have some I save until a story arc finishes. I have read John Byrne's latest comics
THE HIGH WAYS. So far it has been some very enjoyable hard science fiction. Nice to read a good adventure in space. I also have been reading the Executive Assistant books from Aspen. While I have enjoyed them my interest in waning and I may end after this story arc.

I got a graphic novel Donarr the Unyielding. Story was not bad but nothing special and I did not like the art. Too cluttered and not really pleasant to follow.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:23:26 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »

I am waaaay behind on reading my pulls. I did just read the last couple of issues of the 5 issue mini series Robyn Hood from Zenoscope. It is a violent book with extreme justice being served. If you do not mind that then you may want to pick up the trade. I liked it. The next incarnation of Zenoscope's Jungle Book will be coming out and I look forward to it. I did not get into the whole Zenoscope mythical universe but these stand alone minis have been good reading. These are tied into the Zeno universe but can be read alone. I will be starting Big Dog's ongoing Wicked West. I hope it is as interesting as the mini was.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 01:40:58 AM »

I read the first four issues of Oz Wicked West and it keeps my interest. I do not know exactly where it is going but it keeps me along for the ride.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »

"For a digital download site, am I the only one who buys digital?" narfstar
No. you're not alone.  You gave me the idea of Comixology and I've dipped a couple of toes in the water.  And now I've found Izneo, G.N.s abound.
Like you, I collect my comics from my lcs (not every week now)  but with everything else going on, it takes me a while to get round to them.  But I'm down to the few I listed above. And digital titles, well, I'm still looking for stuff that might appeal - and not too "real" or adult, either.   There's a comic mart next Sat. and I have a table. I will also buy some stuff but it will be older material.  I just seem to prefer it that way.
That's why I don't say much here as I often forget what I bought when and how long it took me to get around to them.
Mud Man was good fun yet again.  The Activity with the butterflies was well done military comics and a mystery at the end. Rocketeer is just good fun and I'm halfway through the current Sixth Gun collection which is dark, exciting, monstery and incredible bad guys.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »

Mud Man is on my pull list but is one of those that does not always come in. I have just gotten hooked on a webcomic and it is free. Quantum Vibe is pretty good sci fi.
http://www.quantumvibe.com
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

This week I collected some comics from my lcs, incl. Alter Ego - 3D glasses included.  Now I've got a sore head.  Great articles and info.  But I don't see colours well and do have trouble with red,green, to be honest I know the colours are there, I just don't really care.  But, like 40% of males, I am a bit colour blind. So, perhaps that is another reason for 3D continuing to fail, apart from the stupid glasses. I am having real difficulty resolving many of the illos. in AE.  Most seem out of focus, hence the sair heid.
Apart from that, #4 of Comeback; Whistling Skull #3; Rocketeer, the new Hollywood story which I missed last time I was in.  Dave hadn't finished unpacking, so  good reason to go back soon for the rest, which should include Peter Panzerfaust and Black Beetle.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:57 AM »

I used to get every issue of Alter Ego, up until around issue 90. But it got increasingly difficult to find it anywhere in the Vancouver area. I've managed to find some of the issues after that--and read others online. The 3D issue sounds like something unique (and worth getting in a hard copy), even though I also find 3D comics really hard to read. I never subscribed to A/E because their subscription rate for Canadians is ridiculous--but I may back order some of the issues I've missed.

In the last several years, I feel like comics buying and collecting has become an act of philanthropy. But I always thought that philanthropists were rich (Bruce Wayne was rich and he was described as a philanthropist in the comics I read when I was a kid). Since I'm not rich, it's hard to justify buying new comics as a philanthropic pursuit.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »

"In the last several years, I feel like comics buying and collecting has become an act of philanthropy. But I always thought that philanthropists were rich (Bruce Wayne was rich and he was described as a philanthropist in the comics I read when I was a kid). Since I'm not rich, it's hard to justify buying new comics as a philanthropic pursuit." jimmm kelly
Nicely said and I couldn't agree more.  It's a habit with me and I enjoy going to the comic shop for a bit of patter and to listen to the young blokes going on about the minutiae of the latest X-Men or Avengers storyline. But despite being seriously jaded with and disillusioned by modern comics, I still find some titles which intrigue and entertain me but really, they are too expensive for what they give and prices for American comics here went up last month.  Fortunately, Dave at the lcs has held his prices for standing order customers but shelf prices have increased.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »

Since almost every comic is available bootleg in a week I do buy philanthropic and morally. If it is a comic that I would buy if it were not online then I should buy. I also do buy some digital and I contributed to the web comic Quantum Vibe because I like it. I recently subscribed to King Features and for $20 a year I get a daily email with all of their comics I want including some vintage. I really do not spend a lot on comics because it is only a few titles but it does add upl
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »

I don't download pirated new comics.  But that's also because most don't interest me much and because of lack of physical space at home, I have started to use digital sites.  I said previously that reading on my Samsung tablet is comfortable and there is such a huge range of Euro G.N.s available - more and more now in English translations and why are none of you trying The Scorpion?  Did you know there is a Spanish language digital comic with new stories using the Nedor heroes? None of the above makes me a philanthropist, I just buy what I might enjoy.  Hedonism rears its head.
I can't thank you enough for the link to King Features.  I'm giving it a try and I'm pretty sure I will subscribe.  I have most of The Phantom material - and more, because I have lots of the original Scandinavian stories and lots of them are in English from the Frew Aus. comics.
I can't help but feel that $20 is a bargain for all that high class storytelling being the equivalent of about
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:36:21 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

Even though the comics are available pirated I am glad there are those who will still buy them. I figure that if I, and others, do not buy the comics then who would produce them for nothing. I can get the King comics on my phone but find email on my computer the best. I simply scroll down and get to read the days comics on my laptop. Rather than the google app just bring up your email on your tablet and scroll down. I have managed to collect a variety of Phantom reprints and comics but like reading them again. He remains one of my all time favorites. Gocomcs.com is another site and their is Creators. The three cover about all the syndicated comics out there. Gocomics has an interesting section called Sherpa. For a fee creators can put up their strips and see if there is enough interest to make it into syndication.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »

Thanks, I'll have a go at that. 
Have a look at Izneo:-
http://www.izneo.com/
and when you've checked the English translations, click onto the French side - so many books.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »

I have to agree with Jimm's recent observation. For a time, I would patronize my lcs mainly to help them stay in business. I'd buy reprints, back issues and hobby mags, but nothing really out of my comfort zone. After becoming active in this group, I found members like Narf, Paw, and others who were kind enough to share critiques of new titles and help me break out of some old habits. It's actually fun to head down to the lcs again. My picklist is down to only to only a few titles, so please keep the reviews coming, one and all! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »

I am enjoying my King Features comics each day. I wonder about the fame of Krazy Kat. I have been reading and they just have not been funny at all. Anyone can go to KFS site and read them there for free and go back several months. I am interested in others opinions.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:25 AM »

Great site/ sites, Narf. I see what you mean, although sample 5 did have a pretty good gag. I wonder if this was meant to be a somewhat more "philosophical" strip, kind of like "Pogo". Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.