in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150481 times)

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Darwination's Uploads
« on: April 13, 2008, 04:52:13 AM »

Howdy all,

Some of you might know me from other places on the interwebs, but I've finally gotten  hooked up with the ftp here and wanted to drop a batch of my latest scans that I don't think have made it here yet.  Aussie was kind enough to  hook me up with the ftp, and everything seemed to go fine for these four comics:

Last of the Comanches NN (1953.Avon)

Realistic Romances 016 (1954-06.Avon)

Hi-School Romance 010 (1951-08.Harvey)

and fresh out today, first here at goldenage, Justice Traps the Guilty 004 (1947-05.Prize):

I'll start making sure my new scans get here promptly, and I also mean to start doing some uploading of some scans not of my own of public domain titles to help fill out this great collection the site has started.

Cheers,

Darwin  8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:53:58 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:43:30 AM »

;D ;D ;D
Great work Darwin!!!

Looking forward to seeing the complete books soon!
:D
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »

Thanks for the great additions to our collection Darwin.  ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

These aren't my scans but last night when I was in the Harvey section I was missing some of these two titles that we had here and that goldenage was missing some issues I've gathered  :).

I added Hi-School Romance issues 5,13,19,22,23,24,27, and 33.  Thanks to the scanners of these - SOTE, Vigilante, and Quietriot along with some unknown scanners.  I've enjoyed the Harvey romances I've checked out.

I also added Harvey's Witches Tales issues 1,7,11,19,21,24, and 28.  Thanks to the scanners of these including Ontology, Brianzc, Pmack, along with unknown scanners.  Another awesome title.

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

always good to see more Simon & Kirby scans.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

Thanks darwination.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
More Prize Uploads
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »

I've been tracking down all Thelisted issues for some of the prize comics checking out the Kirby/Simon stuff and upped some issues we're lacking here for a couple titles:

Black Magic-3,10,12,17,18,26i,28,29,40,46,49,50

Justice Traps the Guilty - 69,87

Aussie, you might wanna check the last four black magic as far as the dates go, I should have the date on all the files.  I'd love to see more of the prize mags scanned, lots of cool comics there I bet.  Especially the early issues of the romances seem unscanned.

Cheers,

Darwin 8)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Real Clue Crime Stories v03n02
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »

Here's Real Clue Crime Stories from April of 1948.  I've scanned a couple of these Hillman crime books and they seem very cool. I scanned this one, and it was edited by metaldave, so he did the hard part ;).  I love the purples and greens and browns - the coloring seems pretty distinctive in this title and Crime Detective.  Stories include "Boss Tweed - The Man Who Had the City in his Pocket", "The Hatchet Gang", "A Dangerous Little Man", "Honey Boy", "10,000 People Saw It", and "Joe Fowler - The Snake of Socorro".  The story on The Gangs of New York era tweed compelled me to check out the wiki, and the comic is pretty accurate.  If anybody knows who was working on this series at the time, I'd love to know.  The Honey Boy comic looks like one of the EC guys but I can't place it.  The strangest story in here for sure is "A Dangerous Little Man" about a villain compelled by the theories of Malthus to murder.  It kind of makes me wonder if there was some sort or resentment to Malthus' theories at this time for some reason.  Is there any place where I can find an index for the golden age comics?  I've seen atlas tales and can find info for EC but was wondering what's the best place to find this information.  It seems like making the scans available might help in the effort for indexing if it hasn't been done already.

Cheers,

Darwin 8)

P.S. I also upped v05n12 (1951-02) scanned by Brianzc as well.  That should bring that title totally up to date I believe.  Thanks to all the guys that have scanned some of these, I intend to read more of em.
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 03:28:26 AM »

Many nice books... Thanks for the uploads Darwin!

octal
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:06 AM »

Thanks for the uploads Darwin.  ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Daring Confessions 008 (1953-10.Youthful)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:19:44 AM »

I haven't gotten a chance to read this one yet but am taking the scan to bed with me as my reward for finishing it up tonight.  I saw stories by Doug Wildey and Vince Colleta in here but am unsure of the other artists.  The centerfold of this title seems to be a 2 page star feature and they have a star photo on some of the covers.  It seems these romance comics served as a bit of a celebrity vehicle for heart throb types, as I've noticed star photos on a number of titles. 

Enjoy,

Darwin :)
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 12:05:04 AM »

Thanks again Darwin!
;D
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:30 AM »

More Justice Stomps On the Guilty!!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »

Boy, I do wish I had more of the Justice Traps the Guilty for scanning ::).  I try and keep an eye out for that one along with Headline Comics, good stuff.  The earlier issues of those are probably gonna be harder to get a hold of than the later issues, but it sure would be cool to fill out the ranks of those prize comics.

I sent a handful of comics to the ftp I noticed we were missing -

Glamorous Romances 72
Hand of Fate 16

and in my efforts to track down all the Star L.B. Cole covers I can get my hands on, I noticed these were missing

Startling Terror Tales v1 013, v2 005, v2 011
Popluar Teen-Agers 6     <------ I love this series.

The v1 013 Startling Terror Tales is a nice scan by LoftyPilot, I don't know who scanned the others but thanks to all the scanners.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

Tuppen2000

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »

wow and many thanks for your hard work and the kindness to share the lovley comics
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 03:47:30 AM »

I sent to the ftp Prize Comics Western issues 77 (scanned by old wayne) ,93 (thanks to an unknown scanner), and 95 (Spectre99).  The last two have some Severin/Elder stories.  Does anyone here happen to have issue 104?  It's listed as having been scanned but I can't lay hands on it.

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:51 AM »

l have not got the time to move them at the moment, but thanks for the uploads Darwin. l would think the Prize Comics Western 104 was never available on DC++, it possibly could be on one of the blog sites, or yahoo groups, it is sometimes not that easy to find where the scan can be found.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:36 AM »

Thanks to metaldave for editing my scans of this comic, Crimes Incorporated 12 from June 1950, the only issue technically of this Fox title.  It did continue for two issues as Crime Incorporated #2 and #3.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 07:05:05 AM »

Here's Teen-Age Temptations 4 featuring a classic Matt Baker cover with the story "Flirtation on Wheels" drawn by Ric Estrada.

ip icon Logged

kusunoki

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »

Great stuff, Darwination. Thanks!
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 05:55:08 AM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »

Yes, great stuff! Thanks!!!

octal
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.