in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150330 times)

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Teen-Age Romances 034
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

A treat today for Baker fans

The indicia are superfaded on the ifc, and the back cover has a little water damage, but the inside pages were pretty nice.  I did a lot of work on the cover but didn't have a decent image to work from, so I hope I got the colors ballpark.

I like the racy cover with the short-haired tattler.  The hinting and teasing covers don't always match the story in the St. John romances, but this one does.  The comic leads with an extended Baker piece "Asking for Trouble" about an orphan from NY who comes to live with her older brother and wife in a small town.  She puts up a nice girl front but before long is planning wild parties and has the town's men wrapped around her finger.  Smoking, booze, a fast older man, plans to cheat in school, all make for a racy story featuring a racy Baker girl.  Second up is a Cal Massey story "My Other Self," and the comic rounds out with "They Called Me Teacher's Pet."

If any haven't seen it, John Benson (largely from JVJ's identification) put together a nice index for his books on St. John Romance and Dana Dutch that Fantagraphics hosts here:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/downloads/

The index identifies the artists for the last story as Mikes Sekowsky and Peppe.  Benson also believes the Baker story and the text piece "More Luck Than I Deserved" to have been written by Dana Dutch the subject for much of his excellent book Confessions, Romances, Secrets and Temptations: Archer St. John and the St. John Romance Comics which also has a nice timeline of all St. John comics listed by month.

Thanks everybody for all the scans, there's hardly a day where something a new and interesting scan doesn't pop up here.

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:45:34 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »

Wow, another fantastic cover by Baker!  Gotta love him!
The book is now up gang.
:)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »

Hey, speaking of Baker....

Here's a link to pg11 of Teen-Age Romance #21 by him:
http://tinyurl.com/ckqszk

It from Heritage Auctions and sold for $262.90 on Nov 15, 2007.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »

Here's Flaming Love 01.  Raws from HP, my edits.  Definitely one of my favorite logos of the golden age, it's on fire  :o  Big thanks to Henry for letting me at this issue. 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2009, 04:40:39 AM »

Great team work guys!
Going up asap
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »

Here's Flaming Love 01.  Raws from HP, my edits.  Definitely one of my favorite logos of the golden age, it's on fire  :o  Big thanks to Henry for letting me at this issue. 

Love those Bill Ward romance covers! Thanks for sharing, Darwin.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »

Before I finished scrolling down the post the logo caught my attention as super. Then the comment that I was not alone in my appreciation for it.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »

For your reading pleasure,

Love Confessions 040 (1954-12.Quality) (c2c) (Darwination-DSD).cbr

Thanks to DieSmurfDie for the fine edit of this Quality romance.  I think if DSD reads enough romance, he might just find a tender spot in his heart for those little blue fellas he hates so much  :-*
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2009, 02:44:19 AM »

Thanks guys, now up!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »

I've been working pulp lately, so I haven't been in the golden age as much as I like.  I did however get a chance to scan a Spirit Section for DSD who turned out a great edit, he worked hard on this one.

Thanks DSD!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »

Wow, better than new.  Thanks guys!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #186 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:42 PM »

Not my scans!, but I'm upping Intimate 1-3 from Charlton.  Thanks to whoever scanned these.  :)
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »

Those would be from the scanner known as Fett -- a big Charlton and Ditko fan.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »

Thanks Darwin, adding them now with Fett's credit.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

Not my scans, but from a gent handled Pyramid, Jingle Jangle Comics 21 has been uploaded to the FTP.  We've got some George Carlson fans around that are always excited to see a new issue of Jingle Jangle Comics show up, so thanks Pyramid! Also from Pyramid, Target Comics v3 06 is on it's way up - JVJ and Eric have been working on these, so it's best to get them up as soon as they surface, eh?

I know I've been away from the golden age for a bit, but I promise to return very soon.  I've been on a tour of duty through sweats, slicks, and pulps but will be back to comics as soon as my new scanner arrives (RIP Bessie, you were a fine machine while you lasted  :'().  I've recently managed to pick up scanning copies of The Killers 1 and 2 which will be the next items to show up here on my upload thread...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:23:00 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »

Thanks for your always unique scans and find Darwin.
Now up.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2009, 03:29:03 AM »

Jeez, Darwin, is this all a Pyramid scheme?  ;D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2009, 06:11:24 AM »

::)
*groan*
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2009, 04:48:14 AM »

Get yer moonlight sauce heah, another fresh scan from Pyramid, Jingle Jangle Comics 18, is at the ftp.  Word is 28 is on the way too, awesome.  Thanks, Pyramid  :)

I got a new scanner a couple weeks ago that arrived defective, so I decided to just return it and have my old scanner serviced (oh sweet Bessie).  I got Bessie back after being in the repair shop, and it had been shipped back without the carriage locked, so now the new bulb was damaged.  ARGH!  >:(  So shes going back for a second trip for service, sheesh.  Scanner repair drama!

I can wait no longer tho, so I've broken out my A3 scanner even though I don't like the image quality nearly as much as what I get on my plustek (not to mention it's slower than molasses).  I tested it out on an issue of Ideal Romance today and hope to get some time to edit it in the next few days.

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:36:11 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »

Now up, thanks Darwin
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2009, 11:29:18 PM »

Ideal Romance 005 (1954-08.Key)

I love the colors on this cover and find it tender and sweet in spite of the fact that the gent that sold it to me advertised it as a "Chest Kissing" cover.  Overstreet credits it to Bernard Baily.  This is the first Key romance I've read, and I thought it was pretty good.  The first story "Uncertainty" involves a couple that bump into each other on the golf course and quickly get swept into romance.  After the gent proposes marriage, the protagonist discovers he was previously married when he calls his dead wife's name in the heat of a kiss.  She becomes very jealous, eventually asking that he tear up the picture of his dead love.  I kind of like how this one resolves... The second story is "First Love" about a woman who marries a boring man and comes to think often of Eddie, her first love.  I like the second page of this story, sort of an additional splash:

I've gotta admit, her inattentive hubby doesn't seem too sympathetic, and I'm not sure I buy the story's resolution.  The text intermission is a somewhat incoherent tale of class-hopping romance entitled "The Wandering Wallet of Love" (how's that for a bad title  ;D).  The third story is "The Man I Love" and might be the most fun story in here and is signed by S. Finnocchiaro and E.E. Hughes (I've never heard of either).  The story involves an aspiring model and her attempts to catch the attention of a model agency owner who realizes quickly how willing she is to gain success.  A couple nice cheesecake panels in this one.  Last up is "Too Many Lovers" about a dance team that finds love traveling the lower rungs of the dancing circuit.  What happens when the team breaks up so our heroine can become a star?  Can Stella get her groove back?  Read and find out...

Good stuff, I like the writing and will keep my eye out for more issues of this series (I'm especially after issue 6).  This is the first issue scanned, the series started as Tender Romance in 1953 at issue one and switched to Ideal Romance for issues 3-8, ending in February of 1955. 

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:32:18 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kquattro
message icon
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2009, 02:14:04 AM »

Overstreet credits it to Bernard Baily.

Thanks for posting this cover, Darwin! That is indeed a Baily cover and the interior artist you inquired about--E. E.  Hughes--is Eugene Hughes, who did a lot of work for the Trojan/Key comics.

--Ken Q
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »

Thanks for the name, Ken.  If I was able to identify the artists for each story for each comic I post, I would.  So, identifications are always welcome  8).

And from Pyramid tonight, another fresh Jingle Jangle Comics scan, issue 28:

Thanks, Pyramid! Pyramid tells me he has 20 on order, just in case you are listening Eric. I know you've been working with Jim on these.  Fun comics, always a healthy dose of nonsense.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2009, 03:54:11 AM »

Wow, we're in the age of Jingle Jangle for sure!

Both these are now up gang.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2009, 06:05:05 AM »

Sigh.  20 is in mid-edit stage right now; so I'll wind up posting it soon.  It happens.  Thanks to you both for the 28!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.