in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150478 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #250 on: November 13, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »

Sweethearts 86 now available
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »

Jingle Jangle Comics 037 (February 1949) [Pyramid]

Issue 37, courtesy of Pyramid now at ftp.  We're getting close on this title, amazing!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2009, 01:47:46 AM »

now ready
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2009, 04:46:23 AM »

Thanks Narf and Darwin!
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2009, 06:14:50 AM »

Thanks!  We are getting close; I've got a handful more from JVJ to scan.  The last few may be tricky, though...
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2009, 03:43:14 AM »

Popular Teen-Agers 015 (Secrets of Love) (1953-01.Star)

A purplicious cover from L.B. Cole.  Steamy  :).

Featuring "Scandal", a fairly jagged and incoherent ditty of a woman who starts to cat around from boredom in her new marriage and courts a rapscallion who dies in a car accident while trying to steal a kiss.  After this is revealed in court, her husband leaves her.  Distraught, she decides to murder the chap. Where did all the love go?  ::) Disbrow signature in the last panel.  Next up a one pager, "My Ten Cent Love," a great title for us comics fans, regarding a girl who finds out her fiancee has given her a dimestore engagement ring.  Also, "A Twist of Fate" regarding a girl who's father falls ill and she is forced into working at a dime a dance hall.  Can she find true love on the job and save her parents' home from forclosure? The text story is "Love Must Be Faithful".  The third full length entry is "I Was Starved for Love" about a girl who never has any fun.  She tries to get out a little and puts her mother in the hospital from worry.  Caught necking in a stolen car, she's forced to spend the night in jail.  Pa promises her a good whipping but a kindly officer steps in with some good advice for Dad to take it easy on the poor girl.

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2009, 04:07:19 AM »

Will be up shortly
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #257 on: December 06, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »

Excellent, thanks very much guys!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »

Darwin has uploaded these two Flatterman scans for us -
Police Comics 022 (paper)
Police Comics 020 (paper)

Both are c2c scans.  Thanks Beau!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2009, 07:25:07 PM »

I just upped them!  Big thanks to Flatterman for these.  That guy rules  :).
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #260 on: December 22, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »

Yep, Flatterman would be a very welcome member of GAC if he'd like to join.
Our thanks for these needed fiche fills.  :)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2009, 12:55:01 AM »

Ho ho ho, a Christmas Spirit for your enjoyment.  An early episode, the intellegent Orang becomes aware that he is not human as a scientist's beautiful daughter is devolved into a vicious killer.  Also, Lady Luck shipwrecked at sea and Mr. Mystic must face the kidnapping of his fiancee hatched by Sarku the hindu murderer and denizens of the moon.  Merry Christmas to all the comic lovers here on the site.

Spirit Section 1940-09-01 (Sunday Star)

ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »

Great stuff, can't beat a little 'Christmas Spirit' though usualy I like mine in a glass-LOL

Merry Christmas.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #263 on: December 24, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »

Thanks very much Darwin!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »

Now at the ftp, Headline Comics 027 (1947-11.Prize)

A gun moll so bad she'd kill a copper in the hospital?!  You have to watch those blondes, you know.

The lead story from Simon & Kirby is Stella Mae Dickson The Bobby Sox Bandit and kicks off with Stella pointing two guns at the reader,giving the bankers hell, and yelling "The first one that moves while my husband rifles the vault  gets a bullet between the eyes."  A tale of love and violence ensues, truly a cross-country crime wave.

The second story is "The Guns of Jesse James" out to debunk hero worship of this no good outlaw.  The finale scene made me think of the recent and very excellent The Assassination of Jesse James... I'm not sure of the artist:

Third up, from Bill Draut, "The Death of a Gambler King." I like this sort of interrogation montage in this single panel of inquiry into the mobster's death.  Can the cops break this code of silence?

"The Spark of Murder" is the text story from Allen Stand.  An excerpt:

Hmm, maybe little Bobby shouldn't be reading these comics after all  :)

The fourth story, again with art from Draut is "Bring Me His Corpse," more brutality, geez.  I'm sure it's scenes like these that kept the kiddies coming back for more.

But is there more than meets the eye here?  The action stops so that the reader can catch up with the detective.  Always watch out for those merry widows.

Last up, "The Spirit Swindlers" from Simon & Kirby.  A small town girl gets to the big town and a hat check job brings in her into contact with some small time racketeers with big time plans.  The psychic racket, eh?  Just be careful who you partner with

ah the innocence of golden age comics  ;D

Enjoy!

Darwin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 02:27:01 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2010, 03:18:46 AM »

thanks Dawin now onsite for all to enjoy
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2010, 04:37:13 AM »

Great work guys.  Wow that's more violent than I thought was normal for Prize.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »

Amazing to think that one day Simon and Kirby could be putting a no holds barred book like this together and pehaps working on a romance title the following day.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »

Working on a romance after working on this one would be good therapy  :)

In fact, I think I'll follow their example  ;D
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »

LOL, now there's a smart monkey!
Nice avatar Beau.  ;)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »

Thanks Yoc, that's just a bit of Enoch Bolles from the cover of Gay Parisienne, February 1936.  Here's the rest  :)

I swear I'm not really a collector of many things (after I scan comics or magazines I like to send them to fam or friends or resell), but I keep every girlie pulp I can get my hands on  8) A restore of the cover and scan of the full issue above will follow sooner or later at the yahoo pulpscans group. If any pulp lovers out there haven't heard of that place to share pulp scans, the address is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pulpscans

My scanner handle lends itself well to monkey avatars! I swear I'm not copying you, Yoc, you'll always be the number one monkey around here  ;D

Tonight, as promised, a bit of romance. And, I'm happy to say, my first contribution to the JVJ project.  I knew Twobyfour had scanned a bunch of romances recently, so I had him set me up with the raws for a few issues.  Here's the first of three issues of this series in a row, Best Romance #5 from 1952

This issue kicks off with a Toth/Saaf story about a judge's daughter who falls in with a boy from the wrong side of the tracks.  The trouble starts when she talk her boyfriend into letting her drive.  Of course, with those eyes, who's gonna tell her no?

But a little joyride gets ugly quick, a crash ensues and the boyfriend is ready to take the fall.

Pop's snobbery has taken cruel proportions in his role as judge. He's such a bad guy, I'm not sure I can believe the story's resolution...

A very nice opening story, but my favorite from the issue is definitely Love Won't Wait, a cautionary tale for tomboys - or is it?  An interesting look at some of the social dynamics of a girl being just one of the boys.

Thanks to JVJ for the comic and index work and to Twoby for the raws.  Issues 6 and 7 to follow...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:03:32 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »

Thanks Darwin!

Narf, can you handle these?  I'm anticipating uploading some more from freddyfly and finds from my blog culling soon.
Thanks  :)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »

The next issue, thanks again to JVJ for the comic and index work and to twoby for the raws  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »

how exactly should these be credited? We usually list the scanner as the author. It says twobyfour raws but mentions JVJ and provided here by darwination.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2010, 03:24:44 AM »

I'm easy, Narf.  These are Jim's comics that twoby has scanned and I've edited which is a mouthful, the index card page has all that on it, so whatever is easiest in the database works for me.

And hot of the press, to complete the series, issue 7!  There's some sort of dust shadow at the bottom of the cover I wouldn't repair  but the rest of the image is pretty nice.  If someone has a super copy, the cover on this ish could always be replaced... 

Thanks again to Jim for the books and indexes and twoby for the scanwork.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:31:39 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.