in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150326 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »

Lovely stuff as usual Darwin!
Going up shortly.
:)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »

Well my dealings with computer gremlins continues as last week my computer died a horrible death.  :'(

Luckily, my wife is a sweetie, she let me use her laptop to edit Billy the Kid Adventure Magazine 007 from Toby, c2c at the ftp.

Big thanks to bluejeff for the raws.  My new computer comes this week, so hopefully I'll be able to get back to my scanning programme soon enough  :)  I'm pretty excited to see how fast a new machine can slice and dice comics in photoshop...

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

Thanks Darwin, it's now up!

GL with the new machine - I've been considering a new one myself since my second machine for editing died on me a few months ago... but spending $ isn't a thing I like to do very much.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #228 on: August 22, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »

I love my new computer! Photoshop cs4 opens in around 10 seconds versus 3 minutes on my last computer, a welcome change. Thanks for getting me the ftp info I needed last night so I can upload again, Yoc, you sure help keep things running smooth around here.

Now at the FTP:

Keen Teens 01 (NN on cover) (1945.Life's Romances)(Darwination-Mccoy)

Thanks to McCoy for a great edit of my poor copy of this interesting comic.  Featuring Frank Sinatra and Van Johnson on the cover and inside covers as well as Clair Voyant, Dottie Dripple, Rocky, Gertie O' Grady and Sissy in addition to a photo article and Sugar and Spice column material from The Chicago Tribune.

Geronimo 002 (1951.Avon) (On the Warpath)

Here's the last scan we needed of this Avon run. The comic features a Kinstler cover and frontispiece and leads with two John Forte stories.  The main attraction in my eyes, though, is the Kit West story, very strange indeed.  Here's the splash (can anybody identify the artist for me?):

Cheers and enjoy,

Darwin

ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »

Kit West is by Jill Elgin, Darwin.
Compare with her work at Harvey at Speed. There is a SLIGHT possibility that she's working on Kit West with Gus Schrotter.

FWIW. (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »

Wow, that Kit West is smooth on the eyes!  Thanks Darwin.
Jill Elgin eh?  Nice GGA.

Now up!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:57 PM »

Jim could Jill Elgin's studiio work have appeared at Fiction House? The work looks like FH stuff.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »

Jim could Jill Elgin's studiio work have appeared at Fiction House? The work looks like FH stuff.

Not that I've ever seen, narf,
and I believe I have seen MOST of the FH books. She did Girl Commandos and Twinkle Twins and perhaps a couple of other stories at Harvey in the mid-'40s. Other than that, this Kit West (and the one in the following issue) in Geronimo comprise most of her comics work. She did some kids book illustrations (I have her version of Little Women) and is supposed to have worked for Parents Comics in the early '40s. That's all the credits we KNOW about.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #233 on: August 23, 2009, 12:15:03 AM »

Thanks for the identification, Jim. I'm still always startled when I come across a woman artist in golden age comics, but the more I think about it, I have to wonder if women had more opportunity in the strips and in the golden age than they would have later on in the 60s and 70s (in mainstream comics at least).  I enjoyed Elgin's art in these Geronimo issues (the Kit West story in the next issue is a real hoot, thanks for mentioning it), so I think I'll track down some of her illustration work to see what it looks like.

Cheers,

Darwin

ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:27 AM »

Actually, as Cat Yronwode and Trina Robbins noted in WOMEN IN THE COMICS, a lot of female cartoonists did come in during World War II.  It was a "Rosie the Riveter" kind of situation...since male cartoonists were being drafted (or enlisting), somebody had to be found to draw or write the comics, and women weren't in danger of being drafted.  Apparently, Fiction House (or, more properly, the Iger Shop) took on a lot of women artists and even some women scripters.  (Toni Blum had been a writer there since the Eisner days and Ruth Roche may have been, too.)  I can't and won't try for a roll call but you can find them if you want.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »

A really EARLY Fawcett from Darwin and McCoy has just been added to the site.

I upped that Capt. Billy's Whiz Bang to my folder (a McCoy edit, btw, he's my edit workhorse these days).  As far as any information goes, I'm pretty new to the pub myself, but here's the best links I've found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawcett_Publications        <--begins with info on it

http://www.aboutcomics.com/cbwb.html  <---blurb from about comics re: the one reprint issue they did.

http://www.compedit.com/whiz_bang.htm   <----a short academic sort of survey of the mag

When I scanned it, I was bummed there were no pictures or toons, but I was surprised to find myself laughing the whole way through.  The language is incredibly rich - a mix of high and low, and some of the jokes are terribly funny.  PC sensibilities might get wounded because of some racist material, but I get tired of saying things like that because it's just History, warts and all  Tongue  I also like the idea that this little roughshod publication launched an empire, Fawcett's mags from the 30s are amazingly well done, and, of course, their comics are a great mix of fun and intelligent stories...

Cheers,
Darwin

Our thanks to Darwin for sharing something I'd only heard about in the 'history books' of comics.
Enjoy!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Crumber

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Crumber
message icon
« Reply #236 on: August 30, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »

Hey nice to see some familiar faces here. Id love to edit a scan or two from you again if time ever permits it.

(this is ZT if you couldnt tell from my new name)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2009, 05:49:39 PM »

Hey ya, Crumb, sure I'll hook you up with some raws when I get the time, life's kickin my rear lately, but it won't be too long  8)

Cheers,

D
ip icon Logged

Crumber

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Crumber
message icon
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »

Dont go out of your way with it, its not like I got an extreme amount of free time either. Just let it go with the flow... bro.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2009, 05:06:39 AM »

Spirit Section 1944-02-13 (Philadelphia Record).  It's been awhile, but I managed to sneak in a golden age scan tonight. I still haven't dared watch the new Spirit movie, but it's inevitable - like a moth to the flame.  This issue features a killer ichthyologist in The Spirit as well as back up from Lady Luck and Mr. Mystic. 

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gnmmtmomgmo
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2009, 08:29:21 PM »

At the FTP for your enjoyment, a Fox  ;)

Here's the Canadian edition of My Secret Story 27 from 1950.  I really miss the pink on the inside front cover on these fox reprints but I guess the one trade off is that there is less cover bleed because of no color on the inside and perhaps a thicker stock... Enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 04:10:15 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #241 on: October 02, 2009, 04:07:29 AM »

Spirit Section (1944-04-30) (Chicago Sun)

Lady Luck and Mr. Mystic backups, enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #242 on: October 02, 2009, 11:49:40 PM »

Oh my, don't you love that 'My Secret Story' cover?
And more Lady Luck and Spirit as well?  What a great update Darwin!
Thanks!!

Going up soon.
:)
ip icon Logged

ravisksksk

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: ravisksksk
message icon
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »

thanks !!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2009, 04:35:02 AM »

Yikes, I haven't been in here for a while, but I bring a good one tonight.  As promised, the second issue of The Killers.  Enjoy!  :)

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2009, 04:25:32 AM »

Thanks very much D, it will be going up shortly gang.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »

Woohoo, the site is working for me again  :D

Sweethearts 086 at the ftp, thanks to Gambit for the raws.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

I only 'fixed it' minutes ago Darwin!
You're the second to post.

Narf, can you upload this for D please?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »

Just found the forums alive again. I'll get to sweethearts
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2009, 11:34:04 PM »

Thanks Narf, I've uploaded DM and FF's latest today.
Nice to see the place alive again!  :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.