in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,068 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Which comics artwork can be used for a game?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Which comics artwork can be used for a game?  (Read 2585 times)

alexar

message icon
Which comics artwork can be used for a game?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »

Hi,

I'm doing my thesis in game design and I'm in the process of developing an HTML5 game similar to: http://www.netent.com/games/slots/jack-hammer/
But I intend to make it more of a social game...

I'm looking for a comic artwork that would be suitable to use for this, what can you suggest? Preferably something that I will not be sued for using...

Thank you!

Regards,
Alexander
Stockholm
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Which comics artwork can be used for a game?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

Well all of the comics on the site are believed to be in the public domain but some of the characters in them may still have trademark restrictions on what you can do with them.

An example of a character with restrictions would be Captain Marvel which was originally published by Fawcett in the 1940s and 50s.  While many of those stories are PD, DC Comics currently has trademarks on the character (as well as the term "Shazam") which would prohibit anyone else from doing new stories featuring the character.  To make it more confusing Marvel Comics owns the trademark to the name Captain Marvel which restricts anyone else (even DC) from using the name in any promotional way (pretty much keeping the name off covers and advertising in DC's comics featuring the original Captain Marvel). 
So you could technically reprint the PD Captain Marvel stories but would be restricted in using the Captain Marvel name (or Shazam) in your promoting of the reprints or on the cover of the reprint.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.