in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Australian and New Zealand Comics/Cartoonists blog

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Australian and New Zealand Comics/Cartoonists blog  (Read 9225 times)

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Australian and New Zealand Comics/Cartoonists blog
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »

Here's an interesting blog site that looks at comics and their creators in NZ and OZ.

http://pikitiapress.blogspot.com/

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Australian and New Zealand Comics/Cartoonists blog
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »

Excellent find, Joe.  Thank you. 
Have a look here:-
http://www.ausreprints.com/content/main/?series=5507
This is a page re. Captain Havoc and the Phantom Knight.  Doesn't get much more obscure.  And if you click on the 6d. logo, you'l find lots on Aus. annd N.Z. comics.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »

Excellent find, Joe.  Thank you. 
Have a look here:-
http://www.ausreprints.com/content/main/?series=5507
This is a page re. Captain Havoc and the Phantom Knight.  Doesn't get much more obscure.  And if you click on the 6d. logo, you'l find lots on Aus. annd N.Z. comics.

Thanks Paw,  it's great to know that people are beavering away gathering information on even these more obscure corners of comic history.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »

I love obscure but always worry that I bore people silly with it.  I suppose it's partly because when I go to a comic shop, lots of the punters are talking about X-Men or Bats etc.  Not that that's a problem, more that I know there is so much more out there and being old, I've had more time to find it.  Also, I love the excitement of finding some new masked hero, or foreign title that I've never heard of before.  I have some examples of Cap. Havoc and will try to scan them.  Also, re. Grey Domino that is now on the Aus, comics section, if you like the hood and the Hood's hood and I know some of you do, you'll want a look at the Spanish hero, El Encapuchado. He appeared in "pulps" and comics.  So, I'll try to find the link to some of his covers.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »

Found one of the links.  A 4 page story.  He also appeared in landscape comics and illustrated prose stories in pulpish booklets. 
http://navarrobadia.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/adriano-blasco-el-encapuchado.html
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

Bore us you have got to be kidding. I have no one at my LCS to discuss my passion for outside the latest movie character comics. This is the place where we love to find things of which we knew not
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »

Yeah Paw, you're always going to have some appreciative folks here so keep on posting away with your your wonderful "boring silly obscurities".

;D ;D ;D

Joe
ip icon Logged

subkoff

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »

hey josemas,

thanks for mentioning my blog here, i found this site recently in my quest for old australian and new zealand comics. I could spend days here! so many amazing comics...I've got scans for a bunch of old NZ and OZ material, I'll have to look into copyright on them as it's very murky in this area down here.

regards,

matt
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »

Glad you are enjoying the site, Matt.  Plenty of neat stuff here and more coming all the time.  We would welcome anything you might be able to contribute.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »

Hi Matt.  Apart from the dodgy question of copyright, a lot of old Aus/N.Z. material is so obscure and forgotten by even local populations that it almost allows itself. While we can't have Phantom, not only because of Frew and KFS, We would very probably be happy to host, for example, Captain Havoc and the Phantom Knight; Early Cap. Atom; Invisible Avenger comics; other old titles from long gone publishers.  There were also reprints of Dell westerns, some of which are pd.  But not Garth or any Aus. reprints of DC and Marvel strips. So I think you should dig them out and let us have a look.  As you have noted, there are some really nice rarities on CB+, so, we all look forward to seeing some more lovely old obscurities turning up.
ip icon Logged

subkoff

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:08:23 AM »

Hey paw,

I do have a good selection of golden/Silver age Australian/NZ created comics that I'm happy to share. Like you say a lot are long gone publishers, in some case the cartoonist's have been dead 50 years making their work PD. A lot of the NZ stuff is quite crudely drawn but not without it's charm. There's been some real gems produced in Australia but It might pay for me to look a bit closer at copyrights.

A friend in NZ has a colossal collection of Aus/NZ + American and UK Golden age comics, I'll have to ask him if he's interested in contributing to the site.

If a publisher is defunct and I got permission from the estate of one of their artists to share their work would that be suitable for comicbookplus?

Also I have some NZ produced sci-fi serial strips from childrens magazines of the 40's and 50's, only 2-3 pages per issue, would there be a place for that here?
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »

I do have a good selection of golden/Silver age Australian/NZ created comics that I'm happy to share. Like you say a lot are long gone publishers, in some case the cartoonist's have been dead 50 years making their work PD. A lot of the NZ stuff is quite crudely drawn but not without it's charm. There's been some real gems produced in Australia but It might pay for me to look a bit closer at copyrights.

A friend in NZ has a colossal collection of Aus/NZ + American and UK Golden age comics, I'll have to ask him if he's interested in contributing to the site.

Anything that you or your friend could contribute to the site would certainly be a very welcome addition to the library.

If a publisher is defunct and I got permission from the estate of one of their artists to share their work would that be suitable for comicbookplus?

Yes that would be fine.  Several of the fanzines we carry on the site are because we received the kind permission of the current copyright holders.

Also I have some NZ produced sci-fi serial strips from childrens magazines of the 40's and 50's, only 2-3 pages per issue, would there be a place for that here?

Yes collections of such serials would be fine also.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »

Do you or any of you have information on a character called the "Wraith" from probably the 1950's Australian comics? See attachment. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Mr_Goldenage

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »

Dang another site to spend money at.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »

Hi Paw, how are you doing today?

Yes I am aware of the modern day Wraith. I have the movie and two of the 4 books. The movie was good. the two books are ok, pretty much like a typical Batman book. Any idea on the original Wraith?

Narf....did U like Super7?  have you had a chance to watch any of the International Crimefighters Vol. # 1 DVD that I made for you yet? Let me know.

RB @ work
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »

I was going to write with a note saying it was in the mail. But I have not made it to the mail shipper yet. I will try to get it out soon.

SuperSeven starts out so great with lots of laughs. Lots of homages and great fun. It does get old however. It is very worth watching until/if you get tired of it. I had a blast. So far I have only watched the first one the other disk. Since I can not understand a word, I can put it in fast forward and watch it and get all the fun and sillyness.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »

Super7 has to be taken in small quantities, 3 or 4 segements at a time. I fell into the trap of getting excited about having the whole series at once that I was over enthusiastic and watched too many in a row so by the end of disk 2 I stopped for about a week or so and watched the other disks 1 per week.

The International Crimefighters Vol # 1 has that language challenge going for it but some of the others have subtitles ( and they themselves can be very funny) and some are just fun to watch without sound or the sound down very low. Fast forward on perhaps 1x or 2x speed may be an option. On International Crimefighters Vol. # 2 I put some english ones on there to make it more user friendly. I am now working on Vol. # 3.

RB @ Work.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 07:05:20 PM »

Yep
Seems the original every so often youtube video may have been the best way to watch them.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.