in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Paw's profferings

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

topic icon Author Topic: Paw's profferings  (Read 162876 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Paw's profferings
« on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »

The first entries in the Non-English language section are 11 of the 13 issues from the Spanish 1940 series of winged heroes and villains.  Plus, Grey Domino #7 from Australia in the British and Australian section.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Paw's profferings
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »

A couple of teensy problems.

1) You have uploaded zip files but in that is just a .cbr and in that are the comic book pages.

You just need to upload .cbr or .cbz .....

A cbz is just a renamed zip file and .cbr is just a renamed .rar file. So sometimes you will see .zip and they are ok because inside are just the comicbook pages. So what you have done is add another layer around so in real terms you have
one file .zip - > one file .cbr (really a rar) -> the pages
we need
one file (take your pick of .zip/.rar/.cbr/.cbz) -> the pages
Think of like a Russian Doll and you have put on another outer case. And I think you may have uploaded a couple recently like that as I have fixed a handful.

Second "problem" is that the .cbr (inside the zip) has foreign characters (accents etc) along with spaces. I think this is the way that you got it? The .zip is nicely named using a-z. I think that the chances are they will not cause any problems but if I was making a mission critical system then I certainly would just stick to standard characters and ideally use '-' or '_' instead of spaces.

So leave it with me I'l sort them out now .... so they'll end up being the inner .cbr file but I'll use the .zip name (but keep the .cbr extension.

In other words just to be safe could we have the foreign language uploads using a-z 0-9 and also not put them in an additional outer zip?

BTW the description, title  and everything else you put on the page use the proper non-english characters. I have coded to allow for them and if they cause me a problem then I'll just have to jolly well sort it out!

I think the non-English section has really big potential. So keep them coming!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

First of all, apologies.  Second, the curse of ignorance strikes again.  Third, what does all that mean?  I have no idea how to create a cbz or cbr file, or how to change the extension name.  Sorry to cause further confusion but wouldn't a foreign language comic have foreign characters?  I'm probably not understanding all this but don't waste time on me, I'll look for tutorials online.  What I do understand is not to put them in another zip file,  Needless to say, I didn't know they were already in a zip file.  Apart from that, I'm happy.  Now, are you sure I should keep going just in case I foul up again before I get this stuff right?

I'm reading it all over again.  And again.

I should add that, some of the stuff I have stockpiled consist of series of jpegs? so I have to figure out how to collect them in correct fashion.

Love how you call them, "teensy problems".

I'll get there.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Paw ... I am talking just about the file names. Not the images in them, or the descriptions you put up.

Am I sure you should keep uploading??? Well .. let me think about it Spanish Vampire comics ... that are proving really popular? I think they are really cool and so do lot of other people! A GREAT addition to the site. So yes ... keep them coming and I'll sort out any problems.

Right so the jpegs ... you put them in a zip! And then you have created a .cbz. Simples! Just make sure that the file names are alphabetic so they appear in order.

Paw, you are still #1 on my list for Technical Director .. and I am 100% sure you'll get there

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

O.K. Let's see what further chaos I can cause.  A coupe of hours getting my head round some complicated French grammar this morning and now I have to re-read the computer tutorials I found online.  Spanish vampires, eh?  Going down well?  Great.  Just to finally prove how tasteless I can be, I have many Mexican superhero wrestler comics and some photonovels.  A tad too far?  Actually, I have to check dates and indicia before I do any more with them.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »

Fingers crossed for the dates! They sound perfect!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »

Just an update on my education.  Having followed to the letter the instructions on how to create a cbz file, I get as far as clicking ok on 7zip and get the warning that access is denied.  Instructions on another tutorial were for clicks on buttons I don't have. Nothing I do allows me to rename as cbz. This is not making sense, so I'm completely stuck.  To add to the problem, my old printer/scanner just doesn't work with this new machine.  It's so old that the Epson site doesn't recognise the model.  More expense.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »

Hi Paw,
If you can make a ZIP file you are likely fine for uploading.
If you are using a PC, right click on the ZIP file and choose 'rename' and change the ".zip" to ".cbz"
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »

Thanks for the help.  I'm doing something wrong 'cos 7Zip doesn't give me that option.  I think.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

Paw Your sufferings have been everyone else's gain.

I had a thought when I was doing the washing up (my life is not all rock and roll). 5 minutes work and 2 lines of code and now ... drum roll

CB+ now only delivers .cbz or .cbr. If the file is uploaded as a .rar .... then when it is downloaded it comes as a .cbr .... if a file is uploaded as a .zip it is downloaded as a .cbz.

In other words you do not need to rename .rar or .zip (for this site anyway) and also it means that it will stop the confusion when people download a .zip or a .rar.

So THANKS Paw!

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

Well that should make things easier.

Thanks Mark

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »

Your work makes everyone else's life easier
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »

It was 5 minutes if that, but Paw takes the credit! I wouldn't really have thought about it until I felt his pain.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

See what washing the dishes will do for you, apart from wash day hands.  A couple of hours in the garden restored my equilibrium.  Thanks all.
Rock'n'roll.  I was on a train from Dumfries to Glasgow 40 odd years ago to see The Stones at Greens and Keith and Charlie walked past my seat.  Yes, in those days they travelled by train. I was too flabbergasted to say anything and too well on to get up and find where the rest of them were.  Concert was exceptional.  Groundhogs supported and they were the loudest band I've heard and there's only 3 of them.  Cherry Red - look it up, load it down, turn it up and jump about.
Back to comics.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »

Santo.  El enmascarado de Plata #1. A photonovel.  If this is not acceptable please let me know and I'll take it off.  It is good fun though.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »

I have yet to get into the garden ... every time I go to do it the weather gets bad and when it is good I am deep in summat here. I have I think 60+ chillies to plant out

I guess you must have seen Alex Harvey? I am really not into music nowadays, but I loved his stuff. I never saw him but his Deliah must rank as one of the all time great covers. In my book the greatest was Roy Orbison and that coming from an ex-punk (well ex semi-punk).

But WOW!!! That is great even though I don't understand a word of it. Keep them coming and we'll somehow check that they are long term OK. Personally, I really can't see that they will cause a problem and are a really fun addition to the site.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »

Santo.  El enmascarado de Plata #1. A photonovel.  If this is not acceptable please let me know and I'll take it off.  It is good fun though.

Boy did I get a kick out of this one Paw.  I have several of the Santo movies on DVD but have never seen one of these photo-novels. 

Very cool!

Thanks

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it.  I think I've found the issue with Santo using the jet pack.  Wonderfully awful.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

That was way cool Paw
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »

Flying Santo now up. Just trying to arrange another rocket story.  These photo novels were quite the thing in Central America and Italy.  One of the legendary super-criminals was Killing (Kilink) and his stories were in photo format.  He also had a number of dead cheesy films, all made in Turkey.   The all time best (imo) super criminal is Kriminal.  The guy with the skeleton costume, long running series and 2 films to his name.  Kriminal was in comics, many of which were by Magnus.

Schoolgirl now up as well.  I couldn't organise a boys storypaper in time, so you'll have to make do with Miss Redfern, Bessie Bunter and Co. for the time being while I try to convert pdf's to jpegs.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

what was the origon of the Crimson Comet
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »

C.C. was an original Aus. hero, created by John Dixon.  Here's a link to the Lambiek page.  Tim Valor is a nice looking comic but C.C. is a genuine superhero.  You'll see the illo. of Captain Strato, well I've never even seen a copy of that title and it intrigues me.
http://lambiek.net/artists/d/dixon_john.htm
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

Flying Santo now up. Just trying to arrange another rocket story.  These photo novels were quite the thing in Central America and Italy. 

I first remember seeing Mexican photo novels when I was a kid.  Having a large Hispanic population here in Arizona they would work their way up here from neighboring Mexico for that community.  I never saw any with Santo though.  Almost all I ran across were of the soap opera or romance variety which I had little interest in as a kid.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

I was in L.A 2 years running, quite a few years ago now and found street stalls selling Sensacional de Luchas and Tinieblas comics.  Bought lots.  There were also Guerreros del Asphalt? and a martial arts comic and seedy romance titles.  All were pocket sized but no Santo or Blue Demon. Or Fantomas, for that matter.
An experience, catching the bus from Universal City to downtown.  A completely different world.  Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Cologne - edgy in places but easy. L.A.? weird, strange and exotic.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:47 AM »

Issue #1 of El Guerrero del Antifaz is now available.  I love this series. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.