in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

First comic came from Scotland?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: First comic came from Scotland?  (Read 4617 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
First comic came from Scotland?
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »

A bit late but nevertheless important.  While trying to arrange examples of The Glasgow Looking Glass into a fit shape for CB+, I came across this article from The Scotsman, which is one of our leading newspapers. Contentious? I don't think so.  After all, we invented most other things.  Apart from that and the fact that the Scots and Irish quietly run the world, I don't suppose there will be any dissenting voices.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/how-comic-timing-was-a-gift-from-glasgow-1-1493825

Perhaps this will elicit some responses from other than the usual suspects.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: First comic came from Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:56 AM »

Thanks Paw.
I'd love to see this documentary they talk about, 'Scotland's Amazing Comic Book Heroes', someday.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »

Hi Yoc,  clips and info here:-  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012c5n2
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »

US still gets credited with the superhero and where would the world be if the JLA and Avengers had not saved it so many times?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »

True---------------------ish!  Big but coming up.  BUT you're forgetting Desperate Dan and that's not a good thing.  Check out his work for the navy.  By the way, his 1st. appearance was in 1937:-
http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Desperate_Dan

Just having fun with you.  But the strip was drawn by D.D. Watkins a bit of a genius.
Also, if you've seen the short article I submitted to Alter Ego (which might never appear, of course), you'll see that there were a number of masked mystery men/costumed heroes and a superhero from British storypapers.  In the same way that there were American pulps, we had our versions plus illustrated storypapers for younger readers with heroes such as Flying Justice; Black Whip; Iron Man (not that Johnny-come-lately) and piles more. 
Our heroes were concerned, for the most part, with more down to earth problems, in the same way as The Shadow and The Spider were, although The Spider did preside over huge death tolls in his stories.

I suppose I've been successful in getting replies.  Even if it was a bit cheeky.
ip icon Logged

Sequential

message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »

Thanks Paw.
I'd love to see this documentary they talk about, 'Scotland's Amazing Comic Book Heroes', someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9mnbOtzwVU

Above is the documentary your talking about. Forgive the terrible, cheesy way it's put together.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »

Hi Sequential.  Glad you found your way here.  Did you know there is a fanzine called Sequential with exciting, interesting, entertaining articles on comics by such excellent writers as Edith Hardy, Ron Harris and many more?
In fact, I'm sure the next issue is out next week. Oh, of course you do.  Silly me ;)
I watched the Artworks film again and I see our self proclaimed comic historian features.  It is cheesy.
The piece by Chris Murray annoyed me all over again as, for an expert, he seems to never mention the costumed heroes from other Scottish and British publishers, both contemporaneous and preceding Amazing Mr X. But I suppose he was just singling out DCT.
I've tried to contact him a few times, to no avail.  I wish he would share the info he has on Valentines of Dundee.
The mini-mart at Waverley was on today and I went along with Vince and Gav.  A few comic book dealers and some indie/small press guys.  Some good patter, bought a few bits and pieces, made a couple of new contacts and it's given me an idea for an article for Sequential on a couple of the indie guys. I might need to ask you if you fancy doing a short interview with one of them.  We'll talk later.
ip icon Logged

Sequential

message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 10:29:34 AM »

Sounds like a good day. I did consider it but in the end I had enough to keep me busy over the weekend setting up files and talking to a couple of our mutual friends about finishing something I started in 2019. That project has over 50 people on the interview list at the moment so tbh I have very little appetite to do any outside of that unless it's someone particularly interesting. I'm sure you'll cope without me involved in this one.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.