in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

uploaders edits

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: uploaders edits  (Read 4786 times)

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
uploaders edits
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

Hi,

Maybe at some time enable uploaders being able to go into the listing they uploaded and edit the title and description for spelling errors and other such.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: uploaders edits
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »

Hi ML,
I believe you should already be able to do just that.

On the main site across the top of the screen look for this:
  Hi movielover! Log Out | Info | Upload | Privacy | About | Help

If you go into INFO you will see 'Approved Files' and from there you can EDIT any entry and make corrections as needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone on staff.  It works the same on DCM only we call it 'User_CP' instead of Info.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »

Nope, I can not edit from the info.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »

It is something Mark will work on. We can currently only edit from the admin CP edit files
ip icon Logged

chinaski

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »

It is something Mark will work on. We can currently only edit from the admin CP edit files

Not sure if this would be possible for him, but...

I'd like to see more searchable meta-data fields added. It would be nice to be able to search by artist and character. Especially since there's a lot of titles on here that contain several different series by different artists (i.e. Famous Funnies, Animal Comics, Girl's Crystal.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:26:16 PM by chinaski »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »

That is one of Mark's hopes for comicmarks. You can mark a story with the artist, etc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »

Not sure if this would be possible for him, but...

I'd like to see more searchable meta-data fields added. It would be nice to be able to search by artist and character. Especially since there's a lot of titles on here that contain several different series by different artists (i.e. Famous Funnies, Animal Comics, Girl's Crystal.)

Such a data base already exists, chinaski. It's called the Grand Comics Database. It would be GRAND if CB+ could leverage/link from/to the data there, but it would be fraught with potential confusion to have two (or more) separate repositories for the same information - especially in the cases where there is uncertainly about who the artist actually is.

If someone finds some new information, how many places would have to be updated and how would they be kept in sync? The thought is very scary.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ip icon Logged

chinaski

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:41:40 AM »

Well, the thing I noticed was that keywords in the description do come up. Such as if you were to search for Walt Kelly, Peter Wheat comes up.

So I was rather thinking, say a user is reading a book and goes, "oh wow. I didn't know Bob Kane did a comic called Peter Pupp" and that wasn't part of the "meta-data" already attributed to the comic. In this case, the meta-data being the "description" field where the uploader would have put it in.

So, I was thinking perhaps a system of user submitted open tags where this hypothetical user could add a "Bob Kane" tag to the comic, so the next guy that does a search for Bob Kane will get this book, too. Kind of like on Hulu. Then users could maybe add other things they think important too, like if say a particular issue of a horror comic had gorillas they could add a "gorilla" tag - so then over time people would be able to effectively search by contents as well.

Of course, I don't know anything about the CMS used here at CBP. So perhaps just a forum for suggesting changes to individual titles, although that would get tedious for the admin, and I really wouldn't wish that on them.

And unfortunately, even though I do a lot of that stuff as part of my profession, I'm not particularly versed in SQL or else I'd volunteer to implement it. I operate more in the front-end (CSS & XHTML.)

Also. Thanks for telling me about Grand Comics Database. I'd actually never heard of it before, but now that I have, I suspect that I'll be using it a lot, as I keep coming across new artists all the time that I'd like to research.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »

I am glad Jim mentioned GCD. I sometimes assume everyone knows about it. Another site you will find very valuable is the Whose Who

www.bailsprojects.com
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.