in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

George Frese

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: George Frese  (Read 2457 times)

WileyJ

message icon
George Frese
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:48 PM »

can anyone give me some info on archie comics artist george frese?? lambiek has one small paragraph and comic book data base only has one page on him.he was right up there with decarlo and lucey in my opinion.im just curious if he left comics early or what?
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: George Frese
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »

According to this posting by Harry Lucey's daughter, George Frese died at a very young age.

http://www.archiefans.com/all-about-archie/harry-lucey-tidbits/

I believe we have some examples of his art in issues of Ginger and Suzie in the MLJ section.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »

In case anyone's interested, here's some information on George Frese.

George Frese was a key artist and writer for Archie Comics in the first years of the 1950s.

Who's Who has a year of death as 1956. (I'm guessing that would make him 36 or 37.)
He did a lot of the artwork, including covers, on the earliest issues of Betty and Veronica,
Jughead, and Reggie include the first issues of each (c1950).

Per Joe Edwards, from Alter Ego #83, Jan 2009:
George Frese worked for Grumman Aircraft. George was on their art staff, and he used to send in
artwork to Archie. One day he came up, and Harry Shorten took a look at his work. He looked at
me, asked me what I thought.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »

Thanks for the info
ip icon Logged

drake10

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 06:40:18 AM »

Here's some research I did on George Frese's biographical details:

https://comicshistoryhub.blogspot.com/2022/03/george-frese-archies-forgotten-artist.html
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.