in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Nook vs. cbz

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Nook vs. cbz  (Read 11131 times)

pterandon

message icon
Nook vs. cbz
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:42:26 AM »

I have a Nook Color updated to 1.4.3.
I downloaded two different cbz files from your site.
I click on them in the Documents folder.
Error:  "DRP Reader Failed. Sorry, cannot open this book."

There are some claims on the net that the Nook Color can read .cbz's.  Was that natively?

TIA for advice.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Nook vs. cbz
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:50 AM »

Go to the app store and you should be able to download a free app to read them
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »

Also, don't forget that cbz files are really just zip files with the extension changed to .cbz.  So if you can't find or have trouble with getting a comic book reader that can read cbz files, change the extension back to .zip and an app that can read or decompress zip files.
ip icon Logged

pterandon

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »

"cbz" has no hits in the App store.
"comic reader" has no hits.

And if I go through this unzipping process, does this mean I am then looking at a pile of JPG's? I'm sure the Nook "can" do that, but does it allow for a convenient page-by-page smooth experience?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »

While I'm a bit of a luddite with all these new gadgets, I wonder if you should change the extension to .cbr?
Unzipping completely will leave you with a pile of jpegs but a .cbz or .cbr file will read smoothly on computer using CDisplay or Gonvisor.  Sorry, I don't know much about portable readers.
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

"cbz" has no hits in the App store.
"comic reader" has no hits.

And if I go through this unzipping process, does this mean I am then looking at a pile of JPG's? I'm sure the Nook "can" do that, but does it allow for a convenient page-by-page smooth experience?

Depends upon your software. For example, the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has buttons for the previous and next images in the folder, making it easy to click through a series of jpegs.  It also can read zip files without decompressing them.

But like Paw Broon, I don't know much about e-readers or the software available for them, so you'll probably just have to try out what's available and find one that works best for you.

ip icon Logged

pterandon

message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »

Well, I tried again, with CBZ's from both you all and DCM, and put them into MyFiles/Magazines, and now nearly all of them appear to work.   Wrong folder? Corrupted File? Cosmic Rays? The world may never know ???
ip icon Logged

macsnafu

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »

Well, I tried again, with CBZ's from both you all and DCM, and put them into MyFiles/Magazines, and now nearly all of them appear to work.   Wrong folder? Corrupted File? Cosmic Rays? The world may never know ???

Good deal!
ip icon Logged

pterandon

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

And in further experimentation it looks like the Nook cannot see CBR's.  Which thankfully, is not a problem with material from your site.  Why does this site stick to CBZ?  (NOT complaining!!)
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

And in further experimentation it looks like the Nook cannot see CBR's.  Which thankfully, is not a problem with material from your site.  Why does this site stick to CBZ?  (NOT complaining!!)

For your information both CB+ and DCM ask that files uploaded be in CBZ (Zip format), as it has been a problem in the past with miss naming (CBR for CBZ files for example or CBZ for CBR files).
Nesting is another problem with some files to you may run into.

Geo
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »

Geo is right,

Just to add a bit of color
.cbz is preferred. as it is a zip file and industry standard.
.cbr (RAR) is just a bit trickier to deal with as there are less server side tools for us programmers to use. 

BUT at CB+ we still happily accept both formats!!!

It is a bit sloppy programming wise to use the file extension (.zip, .rar, .cbz, cbr etc ) as the way to tell what a file really is.

Here we can deal with cbr/cbz (zip/rar) and when it comes to the viewer even if they are misnamed it will deal with them. Also if you upload a ".zip" then it will download as a ".cbz" and a ".rar" will be a ".cbr".

At the moment (this has just got me thinking) even though we deal with a misnamed file we still send it out with the same file extension.

Finally nesting is a problem. It does appear to be less so now. Zipping a rar or even zipping a cbz etc. This is summat that I just get the system to flag up and manually sort them and as I said it now seems to be a really rare occurrence.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.