in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Billy the Cat

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Billy the Cat  (Read 6169 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Billy the Cat
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »

I know I'm always going on about Billy the Cat (and Katie) but it's been such an entertaining strip since it began.  And here is Nigel Dobbyn's more modern take on the heroes - very good it is too.  Sad he's not doing it any more:-
http://www.nigeldobbyn.co.uk/oldsite/billy00.html
ip icon Logged

subkoff

• VIP
message icon
Re: Billy the Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »

Paw, A friend of mine worked on the eighties version of Billy the Cat, he recently dug out some pages of pencils from the strip that he'd saved from that era, all his inked finished pages were kept by DC Thompson. I'll try and get some of his pencil pages up on a blog.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »

That would be great, subkoff .  When you do, please post the link so we can all have  look.  I don't suppose you'd let us know who that friend was, would you? 
As you know what you're talking about, I assume you are aware of comics.co.uk.  Sorry, doing  this on a tablet and don't know yet how to add a link.
ip icon Logged

subkoff

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »

Peter Foster was the artist I mentioned before, did a little bit of work for Fleetway and a lot of work on Buddy, Champ and DC Thomson's girls comics in the eighties, also did a couple dozen Commandos and Football libraries.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

Thank you subkoff.  I will do a bit of checking, now.  Buddy was a bit of a revelation when it came out, I remember.  I was more interested in the heroes e.g. Iron Fish, BtC etc.  and , like most British anthologies, it was weekly.  There are a lot of discussions re. girls comics on http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/index.php, incl. a newish topic on a Spanish artist, Cuyas, who did work for British titles - worth a look.
Commando and Football libraries were comics I tried not to read as I don't really enjoy war comics and I can't stand football.  I've never understood how someone would prefer Roy of The Rovers to Radio Fun or Misty.  But then, I am a grumpy old *** at times.
Here's a link to a Cuyas site - if your Spanish is up to it - took me ages to read through and I still haven't understood it all.   According to RuthB on comics uk, this story never appeared in British comics.  Shame.
ip icon Logged

davidcarman@tesco.net

message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »

Hi all
Started writing an 'origins' of Billy the Cat with the permission of DC Thomson
Can't sell it but can publish as fan fiction
Been doing a lot of research and buying old Beanos and have lots of ideas
I'll keep you posted and ill be dropping it onto my website www.davidcarman.co.uk
David
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »

David, your link doesn't seem to go anywhere.
You'll have the stories from Buddy also, I assume?
Please let us all have a read when it's ready.  As a fan, I'm really curious.
ip icon Logged

davidcarman@tesco.net

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »

Here it is, the completed origins of
BILLY THE CAT AND KATIE

At
www.davidcarman.co.uk

took me forever to think of a good background story but at last I can release it

Thanks to DC Thomson et al for the permission
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.