in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

D.C.Thomson

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: D.C.Thomson  (Read 8679 times)

hoover

message icon
D.C.Thomson
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »

I haven't visited the site for about two years and I'm pleased to see the new look.
I noticed a great many of my scans in the Pulp Fiction area and I'd like to query the inclusion of The Skipper storypaper.  I have over 7,000 scanned issues of Thomson's Big Five storypapers but I had always thought them non-PD.  Are they in fact PD or has this been included by mistake?

Hoover
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: D.C.Thomson
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:33:25 PM »

I just had a look at our Skipper and unless I missed it I cannot see any copyright notice of any description. I am not sure about the others, but this issue looks OK to me.

I stand to be corrected.

Regards,
Mark
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

You are correct, Mark. Just had another look. Same with Wizard, Adventure, Rover and Hotspur. The scan comes from The Yellowed Pages run by Captain Storm. Really I added these to give a historical perspective and contrast to the British comics section with no intention of adding any other DCT examples.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:10:23 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »

Well, as far as I can see you can add more (as long as there no copyright in the pages). Bring them on!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  I had seen ones with copyright on them and assumed they all were.  Having just checked I find that Thomsons added the copyright bit in mid-April 1958 to Adventure, Hotspur, Rover and Wizard.  Skipper was long dead by then.
If you want a few thousand of them let me know although most want some, or a lot, of editing.
Anything you find credited to Bogof39 are my scans.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

Yes, we have a lot of your scans on CB+.  Great stuff. Thank you for scanning the papers.  I also have some Big 5 downloads, so I'm going to have a look at them.  Could you point us to where your uploads are on the net, please.  Not sure if I have the skills to tidy them up but I'm sure, apart from all the other stuff we're trying to do, that someone on here could have a go.  Or am I committing us to too much work?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »

Hi Hoover,

This needs a little bit of thought.

Firstly crediting: we need to make sure that you get it on every one!!

Secondly books: As you know what you have, can you point us to best edited public domain books. IE: ready to roll? I can set up an FTP upload for you.

By the sounds of it you have a mountain of material. So it would be great to get all the legal stuff up here.

Long term projects are good (when you finish them) :) 

Very best regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

Hello Mark

I've sent Paw Broon a list of what is already uploaded which should keep him busy for a while.  When that is sorted I'll dig out some more.

regards,

Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »

Cool!

Mind you I hope he doesn't use it as an excuse for not doing his language assignments and going shopping with his missus :)

Regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »

Oh yes, I will.  And as you can probably guess, there's homework for tomorrows Italian class which I haven't even looked at yet. After steak and red wine I somehow can't be bothered.
I have a pile of Bob's comics on links I got from Joe, so I'll sift through both sets for doublers and see what Filezilla makes of piles of old storypapers.  Apart from anything else, some others on here will be intrigued to know there are seriously obscure Masked Men in some of the issues, (including a couple I didn't know about) also Dixon Hawke, the great detective; strange S.F. and piles of adventure tales.  Holy mascarpone, so much stuff!!!!  And I still haven't mined all the Portuguese comics.
Still trying to find the Flaming Avenger - hint hint.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

I forgot to mention that where the front cover is B&W the scans are taken from a massive collection of photocopies made by the late Colin Morgan.  I am only interested in the stories so they are OK for me but you may not want them on the site.  They are not so good for the artwork.
I did a small collection of Dixon Hawke for the Pulpscans group which is on the list I sent as Dixon Hawke mixture.
As for the SF stories one project I'm working on is all the SF stories that I can find in the Thomson papers.  A few are copyright but there are plenty of others.
I also scanned a lot more of the L.Miller UK reprints of Captain Marvel Weekly recently and I'm trying to find time to do some editing on them.  I have the full set of 24 but a previous owner solved the disintegration of the spines with a sewing machine and some don't open far enough for a proper scan.
Bob(Hoover/Bogof39)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

Great to see you posting here again Hoover!
Those L Miller US reprints are welcome on DCM.  Jimpy has been working his way though his own collection of those.  Sadly any with Timely material we can't share though.

Good luck with your projects,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »

Thanks, Yoc.

As I don't collect US comics I didn't have anything to post about after filling a few holes in the Fawcetts.

Now the site has branched out to include UK comics and storypapers I'm in business again.

Bob
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

Wow, this is really great news
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »

Wow, this is really great news

Unless you are the administrator fretting about disk space. But hey-ho they'll fit in somehow :)
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »

Come on Mark!  You and Paw grew up with this stuff at your disposal!  I haven't really had the access here in the cornfields.  I'm guessin' it time to pull the old wallet out to help.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »

I'm sure the storypapers will fit into 100GB Mark.
Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »

I was sort of joking and the bizarre thing is with our hosting accounts it is not the file sizes, it is the number of files.

Anyway it's my job to fret about it and ALL IS GOOD :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »

I removed a lot of duplicate files the other day
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »

Yep Narf, that is my cunning plan as well!

We have a way to go before we hit capacity and there are quite a few older scans floating around that have been upgraded. The GCD tagging will help us identify them. So that's why I am not panicking.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »

I have not done much lately here as I have been working on an order from Terryscomics as well as getting some books together in trade. Of course the books that I am getting are for scanning. Since so many books are scanned there is little I am seeking just to collect. So my seeking is to scan. In the process of looking I have found some books that I have that are unscanned. Look for some more coming up from narfstar.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »

Looking forward to seeing 'em, Narf.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

Mark, if the problem is the number of files rather than size, would it be possible to group a pile of, for example, storypapers together as a big/huge file?  Or am I havering?  If we had a complete run, say a years worth, members might want them in a oner as the stories are continued 3 or 4 pages a week.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »

I think that would be a good idea Paw
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

The problem is a LONG WAY away and let me fret about it. That's my job :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.