in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

topic icon Author Topic: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39  (Read 46890 times)

hoover

message icon
Re: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »

I've just added a couple of items in the British Story Papers section.  The first is another issue of The Triumph is a taster in the Boy's Own Paper section, the Index for 1891-92.  I have all the items on the Index apart from the Christmas and Summer numbers.  As I get time to edit one I'll upload it.

hoover

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:21 AM »

wow more cool stuff you have
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »

A few of the Boy's Own Paper have been uploaded along with another Triumph.  The B.O.P.
are a bit stained or marked occasionally but still readable.

hoover
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »

I've now finished uploading the year of Boy's Own Papers.  Nos. 705 and 706 seem to have disappeared and if so I'll try again later.  The last issue of the year had only half the normal number of pages and I don't know whether anything else went with it.  Hardly a good buy at one penny as it was.

For the time being I shall have to stop editing Triumphs.  To finish I've uploaded one of the later issues from not long before the paper ceased due to the war.  This is the only issue I have which contains part of a picture serial.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

Looking at the issues as displayed it is obvious that the reason for only eight pages in the last issue is because the index of eight pages came with it.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

As usual, excellent stuff, Bob.  This is really odd as the picture serial in the Triumph you mention is already on site, here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=23945
Where I originally found it is now a mystery. 
Found it. It was in 4 Shared  Can't find any more.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »

I did upload that picture story episode to Britcomics.  It may have come from there.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

I've just uploaded Adventure #2 to the British Story Paper section.  It isn't perfect but as I was scanning photocopies made from a bound volume it has turned out better than I thought.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

Thanks to Minotaur who sent two missing pages I've now been able to complete a full year of Boy's Own Paper.

Look out for some more Amazing Stories that will fill a gap if they are found to be PD.  None are my scans.  They are too well done.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »

I've just uploaded several items by FTP.

One is an ancient French text item which I think was for children.  I don't know which section it would go in if you want it.

The rest are the remainder of the L.Miller UK reprints of Fawcett comics in the Captain Marvel Adventures Weekly series.  There is a major problem with these.  A previous owner obviously didn't like discoloured Sellotape residue so the comics were stitched with a sewing machine.  While this was quite effective when a quarter of an inch from the margin it was not so good when further in as the pages do not open fully.  I've left them as two page spreads and if anyone feels like editing them into better shape please do so.  I have the original tifs that were scanned if that would help.  Although not very readable they will do to show which US comics provided the stories.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »

Bob,  I'd like to have a look at your ancient French item so if you can shove it into the French section , that would do fine. 
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »

It is now in the French Section.  If you find a place for it please delete it from my ftp folder.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »

Thanks Bob.  I've downloaded it for a read later.  Did this Mon Journal morph into the 20th century comic of the same name?
http://bdmonjournal.free.fr/index.htm
because the new one started in 1946 and the info. site above makes no mention of a previous 19th. century paper. Can anyone help?
Further searches suggest that it's not the same -no mentions that I can find.  Just curious.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »

I asked a Frenchman for some info on the title and this was his reply.
"Hi,

first of all, I was thinkg: 1893 ? A mistake, this have to be 1993.

Second, I realized that there was no comic book name (since Mon Journal, in comics is just like Fleetway: it is a company name).

Third, I downloaded the archive to discover it is not a zip, but a rar file.

AND, I never saw it on sale
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »

O.K. good try.  I'll have alook at the link.  Thanks Bob.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »

I see Braddock is uploading some issues of The Rover story paper.  I don't think he has put up any that contain The Pony Express which was one of their star stories.  I've just started to upload the original version which was in The Wizard.  I hope to get the whole story up when I get time to edit them.  The later version used the same text but in different order at times and all the illustrations were redrawn using the same scene from a slightly different angle.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »

Nice, clean scans and some great impact covers Bob.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

All issues of The Wizard which contain The Pony Express story are now uploaded.  I'll finish off the rest of 1937 eventually.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2014, 05:09:23 PM »

I've just uploaded a few copies of Boy's Cinema.  I can't say I've heard of the films mentioned in them but they were from the Thirties which was before even I was born.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »

The final issue of The Skipper has been added to the British story paper section.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »

I've added some more 1937 Wizards.  I think I left the note in the description of #741 in when I uploaded #742.  If so please remove it from the latter.
Bob
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:21 AM »

MANY THANKS! All done now!
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »

I've finally finished editing the complete 1937 Wizards which are now uploaded.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »

I've uploaded some more early Rover to the British Story Paper section.  They are scans from bound copies and really need more editing than I have time for.  The centre spreads are from photocopies from another source and although they are sometimes easier to read at other times they are over-inked and spotty.  They also tend to make the illustrations harsher so I've kept to scans where possible.  If they are thought to be good enough I can upload more.  Alternatively if someone would like to edit them they are welcome to have a go.
Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:38 AM »

I've uploaded some Rovers to fill the gaps in Braddock's 1941 uploads.  Mine were scanned from bound copies so the edges are not always easily readable.  I have photocopies which may be better to read in parts but they are sometimes over-inked and also the artwork looks better in Grayscale.
If Braddock has other D C Thomson Big 5 story papers up to 1943 I'll be happy to try and fill any gaps.
Bob
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.