in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Professor H's Wayback Machine

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

topic icon Author Topic: Professor H's Wayback Machine  (Read 158752 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Professor H's Wayback Machine
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »

Yep.

It's a very difficult film to follow, plot-wise, because-- and a LOT of Disney films from the 60's are like this-- it's not so much a story that builds to a climax, as it is a series of almost completely-separate set-pieces, barely, loosely strung together. You have one sequence, then another, then another, it's hard to remember how they're even connected or how the characters got from one part of the story to the next-- and at some point, the film ends.

THE JUNGLE BOOK was also like that.

It's got some fabulous stuff in it-- I just remember watching it many years later, suddenly realizing WHY I couldn't remember the plot from when I was a kid.

There's a couple of visuals in the film that I am DEAD CERTAIN inspired Steven Spielberg, as he paid very blatent, obvious tribute to them in 2 of his INDIANA JONES films.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »

Search I have heard of and probably seen
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »

There's a shot in RAIDERS (I think) where a vehicle goes right off a cliff, and the visual made it look 10 times more dangerous than any such thing in the middle of a desert could have been.  And it made me think of the Disney film, since it was already well-known by that point that Spielberg was a big Disney fan and liked to include a tribute to some Disney film in every one of his movies (whether it fit or not).

But when I saw TEMPLE OF DOOM, and he did that completely ABSURD sequence with the people on the life-raft sliding down the side of the mountain, I just KNEW he was "doing" the bit with the ice sliding down the side of the mountain from IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS... except, it didn't make any sense in Spielberg's version.  (Then again, that entire movie-- every frame of it-- was a serious case of "overkill".)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:51 AM »

There's a shot in RAIDERS (I think) where a vehicle goes right off a cliff, and the visual made it look 10 times more dangerous than any such thing in the middle of a desert could have been.  And it made me think of the Disney film, since it was already well-known by that point that Spielberg was a big Disney fan and liked to include a tribute to some Disney film in every one of his movies (whether it fit or not).

But when I saw TEMPLE OF DOOM, and he did that completely ABSURD sequence with the people on the life-raft sliding down the side of the mountain, I just KNEW he was "doing" the bit with the ice sliding down the side of the mountain from IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS... except, it didn't make any sense in Spielberg's version.  (Then again, that entire movie-- every frame of it-- was a serious case of "overkill".)

Actually a Russian airman fell through a huge gapblasted in the fuselage of his bomber and his forwards motion along with his first making contract on the reverse slope of a snow covered mountain top the aircraft was flying over resulted in him doing very much what the life raft did in the Temple of Doom.
He slid for thousands of feet down the steep slope and survived with only minor injuries.

In another odd case a P-51 Mustang pilot went into a power dive when his elevators failed after he dived to avoid an oncoming P-47 squadron. His aircraft broke the sound barrier before it suddenly recovered from the dive as the tail section began to come apart under the stress.
The aircraft then broke apart while traveling at near super sonic speed only a few yards above the ground.
The pilot was unconsious but his seat belt broke and his parachute pack was torn open.
His chute partly opened just as his body crashed through the limbs of an ancient oak tree. The canopy enveloped the limbs of the tree and this acted to decelerate the pilot before the cords snapped.
He ended up in a wheat field traveling parallel to the ground at a very high rate of speed, leaving a trail  hundreds of yards through the wheat stalks.
He survived with a few broken bones and some damage to his hips and shoulders from the wrenching of the
parachute harness. 

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »

You've seen the JESSE MARSH version!

You've seen the FRANK THORNE version!

Now-- bear wild-eyed witness to the wonder of the JACK KIRBY version!!!

FROM HERE TO INSANITY #11 (Aug'55)
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/04/jules-verne-part-11.html
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »

Sorry, it took me awhile to get around to doing this. The internet connection I have at the moment isn't great, but I was able to trace back to the site I gave you for WALT DISNEY'S TREASURY OF CLASSIC TALES--I think this is the site you were looking for. If not let me know.

As I recall we're not supposed to link to those page on this website, because the Disney stuff isn't in the public domain. But if you go to the MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES blog, I've put a link on the AS YOU LIKE IT post [under DISNY TREASURY (sic)]--in the section of that post with the sub-title "the switch."

I'd do that soon, just in case our careful administrator decides that even this veiled reference could get Disney's legal department on our backs.

The strip for 20,000 apparently started running in late December of '54--timed to coincide with the movie release I guess. Mike's Newsstand has revised the sales date of the comic book to early January of '55. But for the strip the '54 date is what you need to know--even though most of it ran in '55.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

Thanks, Jimmm.  Do me a favor and send me an e-mail! Some things should be discussed off the board.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »

The Jesse Marsh 20,000 LEAGUES ran from 8-1-54 to 12-26-54.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »

Ah, okay.

This is the link to AS YOU LIKE IT (from September 2013--No. 11 of MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES) scroll down the page to the switch, where I talk a little (very little) about WALT DISNEY
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »

Slightly less lost... but still no closer to finding the original links.

I did, however, run across an interesting article.  Seems The NEW YORK POST Syndicate briefly hit on the idea of packaging a comic-book insert to newspapers. This included Gilberton's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED, which would be serialized, in 4-week installments, about a YEAR before the actual comic-book version would be published.

This included the Henry C. Keifer version of 20,000 LEAGUES.  Roy Thomas made the comment that he liked that version better than I did, partly for its "old-fashioned" look.  Well, the Gary Gianni version looks "old-fashioned", too, but his art is about ten times better!   :)

Anyway, here's the article, along with some CI samples...

http://strippersguide.blogspot.com/2013_11_17_archive.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #285 on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »

THANKS for the link via E-MAIL, Jimmm.

That is another very WHACKED-OUT website-- or whatever the hell it it.

The images coming up all seem to be very small, and do not expand to larger size if you click on them, or try to "view image", or anything.  HOWEVER... if you hit "download", and go thru the 2-step process of doing so... WHOA!  Much-bigger versions wind up on your hard-drive.  Okay.

So far, a few of these do seem to contain material I did not have before, except for the FOREIGN versions where I copied-and-pasted Enlglish lettering (from a B&W image) onto the color version (which was in some other language).  I don't know if this is the exact same site you found before, or not.  It doesn't seem like it. 

So far, it also seems to be going "in and out".  That is, it's working... then, it ISN'T.  So this download may take awhile.

I haven't gotten to the point where I was completely missing anything yet, so I don't know if they have any episodes I don't.  We'll see.

The more I go on with this, the more I'm PROUD of the work I'm doing at my blog... if nothing else, I'm making it EASY for people to SEE, and READ, and APPRECIATE these old comics.

Some of these other websites are like the electronic equivalent of a "slabbed" comic.  Like, someone is saying, "OH! Look what I got here!"  But then, it's impossible to read it!   :(
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:12 AM »

Yes, I found that was the case when I loaded some Prince Valiant pages from that site for my blog on Canadian comics and creators. It's tricky what you save and how you save it, if you want a full image rather than a thumbnail.

It's possible some of their files have changed since the last time I looked at that site. And prior to that, many more months back, I had given you a few links for other Sundays I found on other sites, but these were mostly too small or foreign versions, as I recall, and weren't usable.

Whatever is out there in cyberland is constantly changing. Some sites get corrupted, images get taken down, things fall apart.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »

When Art Lortie contacted me about the Fred Kida obituary, we both discovered the BOY'S LIFE website is currently experiencing a technical problem. That is, the "ZOOM" feature isn't working. Someone else even posted a comment on their site about it.  This means the entire website is currently WORTHLESS, until or unless somebody fixed that one thing.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »

Well, I managed to download all 44 files from that site.  Most have 2 or 3 versions of the same strips. What is MADDENNING is, the 3-tier versions tend to have MORE art in EACH panel than the 2-tier versions-- yet, the 2-tier color versions are the biggest, most high-quality scans, the 3-tier B&W versions are smaller, and the 3-tier COLOR versions are the smallest.

ONE strip I was missing is only there as an 800 pixel wide image, which means, if I try to blow up the panels as I've done, they'll be fuzzy.

Also, ONE strip I was missing, mear the end, when Ned & the Mate fight, is either in a small, 3-tier B&W version, or the 2-tier version.

I can actually imagine trying to combine versions to get more complete ones, but as far as individual panels go, if I did this, I'd either have to shrink the big ones, blow up the small ones, or mix color & B&W within a single panel.  Sheesh.

I would swear this is NOT the same site I grabbed these off of before, as I don't recall this complex downloading situation.  Unless the site has been re-formatted in the last 6 months.

Obviously, this part of the project is NOT done yet.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »

So far, there was one panel from a 3-tier version that I had to do the translation for myself, and now have the correct text in English.  Since my own lettering (done in Corel Draw) already existed, and was higher-quality than the lettering in the new image, I simply changed my own lettering and replaced it, rather than replacing the entire panel, or just the lettering.  (see panel 2)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AgfISk_q1rs/U1vkKydh-iI/AAAAAAAARRk/69aNJ0uIUaI/s1600/1954+TOC+20000_p02c++C700.jpg

Also, comparing the color versions of the Portuguese and English versions (which, oddly enough, used the SAME color schemes!), the difference in size is so slight, there's not much point replacing anything, since I already replaced the text from the B&W versions earlier. 

I've also come to the conclusion that most of the art on the left and right edges of the panels are not that important, as they were DESIGNED to be included-- OR NOT-- depending on whether newspapers used the 2 or 3-tier versions.  It's rather like comparing watching a movie on TV in "full screen" or "widesreen" versions.  YES, "widescreen" would be preferable... but, UNLESS or UNTIL I can find MUCH-BIGGER images of the "widescreen" version, I'm gonna stick with what I already have.  Too much work has gone into what's already up on my blog to switch it out for FUZZIER images.

So I'll be focusing on adding in those episodes I was completely missing, as well as, in some cases, replacing any B&W versions with COLOR versions.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:11:15 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2014, 04:19:29 AM »

Now I'm starting to make some headway.  I just upgraded Sunday strip #005  /  8-29-54.

Initially, I had this one only in B&W.  But then I found a COLOR version in Portuguese. As before, I  copied the text from the B&W version.  But THEN, I found a hi-res scan of the 2-tier version.  So I replaced those 8 panels while retaining the 2 "extra" panels from the 3-tier version.

I'm almost tempted to put more than one version up for comparison, but frankly it wuld take up too much space and just make things more confusing.

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/03/jules-verne-part-7.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #291 on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »

The 2nd page of the Jesse Marsh 20,000 LEAGUES adaptation has been upgraded!

Episode 5 has had 8 of its 10 panels UPGRADED with HI-RES versions.

Episode 6 has 2 "extra" panels added, albeit in low-res versions.

But best of all...  Episode 7, which I only had previously in a LOW-RES French version, I now have the COMPLETE episode, in English-- although, only in B&W.

Enjoy!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/03/jules-verne-part-7.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »

Just uploaded 38 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN covers to the GCD.

"Editor"-- AND I USE THAT WORD LOOSELY-- "Ramon Schenk"-- rejected EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. 36 of them, he said, "No improvement". On the 2 that were MY restorations (as opposed to cleaning up the dark, dirty CRAP the GCD already had), he said, ""Watermarked. And we don't want restored covers, we want real ones."

This is why trying to contribute to the GCD is a COMPLETE waste of time.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »

I told him so, too...

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for making it very clear that trying to contribute to the GCD is a complete waste of time.

Henry
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

The 3rd page of the Jesse Marsh 20,000 LEAGUES adaptation has been upgraded!

Episode 10 has been re-processed from a higher-quality color version, and, the 2 "extra" panels have been added from a B&W version.

Episode 11, previously missing, has been added from a B&W version.

Episode 12, I've added the 2 "extra" panels from a B&W version.

Episode 13, previously missing, has been added from a hi-res color version, plus the 2 "extra" panels added from a B&W version.

Episode 14, previously missing, has been added from a B&W version.  I also have a low-res color version, purely for reference until a better one turns up.

ENJOY!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/03/jules-verne-part-8.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2014, 12:59:44 AM »

The 4th page of the Jesse Marsh 20,000 LEAGUES adaptation has been upgraded!

Episode 15 has the 2 "extra" panels added from a B&W version.

Episode 16, previously missing, has been added from a 3-tier B&W version.

Episode 17, previously missing, has been added from a 3-tier B&W version.

ENJOY!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/03/jules-verne-part-9.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:39 PM »

The 5th page of the Jesse Marsh 20,000 LEAGUES adaptation has been upgraded!

Episode 19, previously missing, has been added from a hi-res 2-tier color version.

Episode 20, the 2 "extra" panels have been added from a B&W version.

Episode 21, previously missing, has been added from a hi-res 2-tier color version AND a 3-tier B&W version.

At last, the story is COMPLETE!!  ENJOY!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2014/03/jules-verne-part-10.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:54:29 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »

Some really great stuff on your site, I'll be visiting often.

The Classics Illustrated version of War of the Worlds has some great imagery, any chance of finding it online?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »

I don't know.  The thing is, if you check my Jules Verne "20,000 LEAGUES" overview...

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2013/08/jules-verne.html

...you'll find the Gilberton CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED has been reprinted several times by different publishers since Gilberton went out of business.

Acclaim Entertainment (who bought out Valiant) did a series of reprints in 1996...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0DBO4LI26p4/UinRblPpixI/AAAAAAAAO-0/xceyQXf-HNU/s1600/1996+CI+Acclaim+023_cc_GCD_HK.jpg

There may be a more recent version as well.

Then of course, there's also the Pendulum Press version from the late 60's, reprinted in the early 70's, early 80's, early 90's, and again since then...

...and the Gary Gianni version, intended for First Comics, put out instead by Dark Horse, and reprinted twice since then-- the 3rd time, IN COLOR, as originally intended.

I've just started considering scanning and posting the B&W version of the Gary Gianni version... since the currently IN-PRINT version is in COLOR...  (I'm trying to avoid "competing" with anything that's current IN PRINT.)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »

I'm sorry, I posted all that, and only afterwards, noticed you said WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Still, what I said about Acclaim probably also applies.  I have a suspicion there may be another version since, I tell you, this project just keeps getting biggger and bigger... and I'm STILL "only" on the 1st STORY!!!

I'm tentatively planning to follow up 20,000 LEAGUES with JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.  (The most authentic adaptation to date, of course, is the one by Rick Wakeman... heeheehee.)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.