in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,991 books
 New: 155 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Professor H's Wayback Machine

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

topic icon Author Topic: Professor H's Wayback Machine  (Read 158749 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Professor H's Wayback Machine
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

From CAVALEIRO ANDANTE (KNIGHT ERRANT) #453
(Empresa Nacional de Publicidade (National Advertising Company)  /  September 3, 1960)
comes the 3rd comics adaptation of Poe's
"O ESCARAVELHO DE OURO" ("THE GOLD BUG")
     art by Fernando Bento
Now translated for the 1st time into ENGLISH, and with NEW color added!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1960-pt-4.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »

From JOYAS LITERARIAS JUVENILES  88  /   KING CLASSICS  14
(Editorial Bruguera  /  Spain  /  1973)
(Editorial Bruguera  &  King Features Syndicate  /  1977)
comes the 4th comics adaptation of Poe's
"EL ESCARABAJO DE ORO" ("THE GOLD BUG")
     art by Antonio Calmerio Tomas

This was the 1st NEW comic I've bought in over 4 years, and the 1st new addition to my comics collection since Frank Thorne gave me a copy of Dell's "20,000 LEAGUES"!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1973-pt-5.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »

From KING CLASSICS  #14  (Editorial Bruguera / King Features Syndicate  /  1973 / 77)
"THE GOLD BUG"
     art by Antonio Calmerio Tomas  /  PART 2 !!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1973-pt-6.html

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2015, 12:56:57 AM »

From KING CLASSICS  #14  (Editorial Bruguera / King Features Syndicate  /  1973 / 77)
"THE GOLD BUG"
     art by Antonio Calmerio Tomas  /  THE CONCLUSION !!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1973-pt-7.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #454 on: April 23, 2015, 12:17:29 AM »

From CRAZY #7  (Marvel  /  Oc'74)
comes the 7th comics adaptation of Poe's
"THE TELL-TALE HEART"
     art by Mike Ploog

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1974-pt18.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:35 AM »

From CLASSICOS DE TERROR #12  (Editora Outubro  /  Brazil  /  1960)
comes the 2nd comics adaptation of Poe's
"THE PREMATURE BURIAL"
     art by ? ? ?
Now for the first time translated into ENGLISH and IN COLOR!!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1960-pt-5.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #456 on: April 30, 2015, 01:00:28 AM »

From CLASSICOS DE TERROR #14  (Editora Outubro  /  Brazil  /  1960)
"THE BLACK CAT"
     art by Luiz Sandenberg

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1961-pt-2.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #457 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:37 AM »

From CLASSICOS DE TERROR #14  (Editora Outubro  /  Brazil  /  1960)
"THE BLACK CAT"
     art by Luiz Sandenberg
Now IN COLOR and translated into ENGLISH!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1961-pt-3.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:31:26 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #458 on: May 08, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »

From ALTER LINUS #9  (Milano Libri Edizioni  /  Italy  /  Sep'75)
comes the 8th comics adaptation of Poe's
"THE TELL-TALE HEART"
     art by Alberto Breccia
Now for the 1st time in ENGLISH!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/05/poe-1975-pt16.html
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #459 on: May 09, 2015, 02:06:01 AM »

Wow, this guy just went whole hog overboard on the copy & paste.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2015, 03:18:44 AM »

Henry have you seen that IDW is accepting submissions? It would not hurt to give it a go.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »

From my blog-- in reference to Alberto Breccia's "TELL-TALE HEART" (1974-75)...

"As I worked on this, it slowly started to dawn on me that this single 11-page story is probably the very thing that "inspired" Keith Giffen to imitate, BADLY, from the panel layouts, to the miminalist drawing, to the lighting, to the repetitive panels and their "timing", when he was working on the infamous "Five Years Later" run of DC's LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. I cannot for the life of me envision anything LESS appropiate for a utopian future science-fiction series. Would to GOD he had never done such a horrible, misguided thing. It's over 25 years ago, and the wretched horror of those issues still haunts me. Oh well.

But, back to Breccia... "
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »

From HAUNTED #28  (Charlton  /  Apr'76)
comes the 6th comics adaptation story based on Poe's
"THE RAVEN"
     art by Steve Ditko

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/05/poe-1976-pt-3.html
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #463 on: May 09, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »

Right you are about Giffen; the remainder of his style came from Jose Munoz.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #464 on: May 10, 2015, 03:23:56 AM »

I have never understood the love people have for work of Keith Giffen. His early art when he was trying to draw was just okay, but when he switched styles... ugh, and what kind of drugs was he on when he drew Trencher???

*shakes head*

When it comes to related, but not exactly Poe stories, have you ever read The Hangman story in Pep Comics #35, The Raven?

If I've got the link right this should lead right to it.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #465 on: May 10, 2015, 03:49:21 AM »

My running joke about Keith Giffen is, he's probably the only comics artist who is on some fans' "most loved" list-- and "most hated" list-- AT THE SAME TIME.

;D

I slowly grew to enjoy his stuff on THE DEFENDERS, partly because of David Kraft's writing, and partly because, although he was doing a really CRUDE, STIFF take-off on Jack Kirby, at the time, he seemed to be one of the FEW artists working for Marvel who actually seemed to know how to lay out interesting FIGHT scenes.

He dropped out of site for awhile after getting fired from blowing some deadlines.  When he was trying to put his career back together, he'd begun "channeling" Phillipe Druilet, of all people.  You can see this in his Dr. Fate back-up in THE FLASH (inked by Larry Mahstedt), and his earliest episodes of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES.  Within about 6 months on LEGION, he began to simplify his work a lot, and it struck me as almost being in a strange sort of way a "modern" version of Curt Swan.  but then he simplified it EVEN MORE (following a 6-month stint on OMEGA MEN, which he says he felt "burned him out"-- doing 2 books a month for all that time), and suddenly he was "channeling" Alex Toth.

I'm still not sure who Jose Munoz is, though I bet I've seen his stuff.  This Breccia story was downright eerie, the way he seemed to borrow SO heavily from it.

When he returned to LEGION after a long stretch, with LEGION #50 (the issue where they defeated The Time Trapper in the far, far future), he seemed to have gotten his thing back together.  But the next issue, he began "channeling" Kirby again-- only, with excessively-FAT faces.  Then, when they switched from Mike DeCarlo to Al Gordon, it began to go downhill, and when he got to the "Five Years Later", he was actually "channeling" the look of Kirby-ROUSSOS, which I have long felt was the ugliest period of Kirby's art ever.

And then you had that TRENCHER crap.  So, as you can see, his art has really been schizophrenic.

I think the BEST damn thing any editor ever did with him was when Andy Helfer realized how good he was writing stories and laying out out pages, and got SOMEONE ELSE to do the finished art.  For 5 years, JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL was one of DC's best books.  It also had Giffen's "upside down" mentality at work.  He killed Dr. Fate, who'd been immortal.  He turned the JLA into a comedy.  And he turned the LEGION's utopian future into a hopeless, depressing, violent nightmare.  2 out of those 3 things NEVER should have happened, if his editors had just told him, "NO.  We're NOT doing this."

After JLA, Giffen never should have been allowed to do "full pencils" on a DC book ever again.  I often think he NEVER really learned how to draw. And if it were up to me, he'd NEVER be allowed anywhere near the LEGION, ever again.  The book has NEVER, in my view, really recovered from what went on between him, Mark Waid & Mike Carlin (2 reboots in 2 months-- only 5 issues into a run-- followed by an even bigger reboot 4 years later that happened as a direct result of the earlier ones).

You reach a point where "enough is enough".  I try to have patience and sympathy for my best friend, who keeps saying things like, "But I REALLY like the characters!"  Well... SO DO I.  But sometimes, SO MUCH damage has been done... I reach a point where I don't EVER want to read a new story about some characters-- EVER AGAIN, no matter WHO does it.  I'd rather just go back and read the earlier stories... WHEN THEY WERE GOOD AND FUN.

I hope one of these days to spend more time reading the stuff at THIS site.  There is an INFINITY of fun stuff here, so much one could spend the rest of their life reading this stuff and never run out of books.

Of course, I've just spent the last 7 months reading nothing but POE comics... the overwhelming majority of which, I have NEVER read before!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:54:28 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2015, 04:02:39 AM »

Found it on Wikipedia...

"His style is characterised by a sharp line, heavy chiaroscuro, and exaggerated, sometimes grotesque, faces and figures. His work has had a strong influence on Argentine Alberto Breccia, his teacher. Also British artists Dave McKean and Warren Pleece, and US artists Frank Miller (for part of his Sin City style [1]) and Keith Giffen."

Hmm.  My influences seem to include Herge, Tom Sutton, Gene Colan, and Paul Gulacy.  I like mine better.   :)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

You've articulated for me a lot of things I thought about Keith Giffen but never could put into words.

However, I still like Ambush Bug. Giffen doesn't deserve soul credit for creating the character, but Ambush Bug seems to be his outlet for whatever he's going through at the time. And because of how the concept works, whatever Giffen is going though in his art has a place in the Ambush Bug reality.

I never quite understood why DC is always out to shut down Ambush Bug--but mabye this is just in Keith's imagination. I don't see the character as a threat to any DC Universe, since his fourth wall status exempts him from being taken too seriously. Even when Giffen attacks DC management in these stories it seems to be just harmless fun.

Maybe they should give Giffen his own Henry Boltinoff spot in every DC comic--with a half-page Ambush Bug gag each month.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #468 on: May 10, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »

Yeah, I like AMBUSH BUG, too.   :)

One of the most surprising moments I can remember was when Topps was doing their ZORRO series, written by Don McGregor (whose intense love & care comes across in every episode).  They had a stellar crew of "guests artists" doing the covers, and one of them was by... I couldn't believe it... Keith Giffen.  And it was done in that "UGLY" style he used in "Five Years Later".

But the thing is... it was inked by JOE SINNOTT.  I couldn't stop staring at it.  Sinnott managed to take CRAP and make it look STUNNING.  Wow.

I had done a tribute to that era in KLORDNY, showing what I thought it SHOULD have looked like... and I tried to do a page that looked like Giffen inked by Sinnott.  And then that thing came along, FOR REAL.  Amazing.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #469 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »

Here's an example of Munoz from "Alack Sinner," one of his big successes.

He could do stuff with black and white that was simply brilliant, but the basic ugliness of his work always defeated me.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #470 on: May 14, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »

From MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #28 (Marvel / May'77)
"THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM"
     adaptation & layouts by Don McGregor
     art by Rudy Mesina

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/05/poe-1977-pt-1.html
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2015, 04:47:52 AM »

It's interesting seeing Marvel's "Pit and the Pendulum." I missed this when it came out.

However I'm puzzled by your suggestion that the prevalence of the "Marvel Method" of scripting was somehow connected to making Stan Lee look good. Or did I misread you? If so, my apologies in advance.

From all I've read and heard the Marvel Method was a tool to facilitate production. With it a relatively small writing staff could fill an ever-growing list of titles. In the time he'd have spent writing one full script a writer could turn out 4 or 5 synopses, putting 4 or 5 issues into the pipeline simultaneously. Breakdown chores were shifted from writer to artist (without extra pay, usually). When the art came in, if the original author was swamped, dialogue could be assigned to whomever was available. It's the same concept as separating artwork into layout/penciller/inker. Spreading each job over several people lessens the risk that any one creator's messing up might cause a missed deadline.

The Method makes it harder to write tight, coherent stories. However I confess it can work. When I was working with Roy Thomas I was impressed by how much structure he could put into a 4-5 page synopsis. Roy has an uncanny knack for pacing. He broke his synopses into segments with notes suggesting how many pages each would fill. I was free to lay the story out as I wanted, but the final product almost always ended up paced as Roy predicted. This underlying structure encouraged dialogue which worked with the art rather than fighting it, as happens in so many Method comics. Admittedly, on our books Roy wrote his own dialogue, so he didn't need to guess what the writer had in mind.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »

From MARVEL CLASSICS COMICS #28 (Marvel / May'77)
"THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM"  /  PART 2
     adaptation & layouts by Don McGregor
     art by Rudy Mesina

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/05/poe-1977-pt-2.html
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #474 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:41 AM »

Theres a story I read many years ago that may have been in a small way inspired by Poe's pit and the Pendulum, though theres actually very little in common between the two except the hopeless dread of a prisoner of a regime that has absolute power over them.

Any way the prisoner is placed in a cell that it carved into the radius of a huge stone wheel in a matching round pit. Each day the wheel is unlocked for a certain period of time and the prisoners must pull on a rope, their combined efforts making the wheel turn one notch per day, bringing freedom to at least one prisoner per day.
Only problem is one complete turn of the wheel would take many years.
Thats not the end of the prisoner's problems of course. Its a pretty horrific story all told.
I think the author was French.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.