in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Trouble Downloading and View Comics from here..

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Trouble Downloading and View Comics from here..  (Read 7675 times)

Yannie

message icon
Trouble Downloading and View Comics from here..
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:42:02 AM »

Hello lady's and Gentlemen!  ;D This is my first post on the forum; I just signed up the other day. I tried doing a "Calibre" search on the forum and only saw three topics pop-up however none of them seem to  be on target.

My Problem: After downloading a comic book from here and dropping the .cbz file into Calibre. It appears that Calibre is not recognizing the CBZ file that I downloaded for some reason.

I've tired 3 different comic books from this site and have fail miserably.  Although I have been able to download the same 3 comics books from DCM's site and drop them into Calibre (prefect), then click on the file format CBZ in Calibre and read the comics, so I know its not an issue with my Calibre software. Any possible help for a solution would be awesome.

If there's anything I left out that could help you in determining the solution, please feel free to ask me. Take it easy on me...don't throw the book at me.

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Trouble Downloading and View Comics from here..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »

Hi Yannie

We have no known problems with downloads. What would be helpful if you compared the filesizes between the ones you downloaded from DCM and the ones from here.

Regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »

I don't see anything different in the two files. Both are cbz so they should not changed to rar but zip
ip icon Logged

Yannie

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »

Hi Yannie

We have no known problems with downloads. What would be helpful if you compared the filesizes between the ones you downloaded from DCM and the ones from here.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, thanks for the reply! Here is the information; you requested.

DCM
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »

I just tried it and it is the full size. Your download must have been interrupted and there is no resume so you did not get the whole book.
ip icon Logged

Yannie

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:24 AM »

I just tried it and it is the full size. Your download must have been interrupted and there is no resume so you did not get the whole book.

well that much I figured out, considering the difference in files size after the download. I guess my only option at this point is to use DCM as my preferred method of reading and downloading comics. I was hoping someone had a solution, rather then telling me what I already know which is that I'm possibly have connection interruptions and not getting the complete file, but why?

However I'm using the same FF 19.02 browser at DCM with no problems when downloading. Hopefully you can give me better feedback.  ;)

EDIT: Alright, so I tired restarting my web browser with add-ons disable and was able to finally download a comic from here and view it, but now the question becomes what add-on needs to be disable? Any add-ons/pulg-ins this site doesn't like?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:39:39 AM by Yannie »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »

Ran across an odd glitch today.  I've noticed an interesting thing where, if I exit a file in the middle of a book, when I come back to it, it seems to still be on the last page I was on.  However, if I'm checking out a book I intend to read later, I like to leave it on the cover.  Now, I was just looking at a comic and hit "Prev".  Instead of the cover coming up, I got TWO sets of links, one above the other ("Prev", "First", etc.)  This kept coming up even when I'd exit and come back to it.  Never saw this happen before.  I clicked on the "1 of 36" link in the middle, went to a different page, THEN, when I clicked on "1", the full cover came up again.  (Sheesh)

Anyone else run across this?  I wonder if it was some odd glitch or if it was something in the way the entire site is designed?  (I'm slowly becoming more familiar with this place... and they made me a moderator!  Heh.)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »

That is deliberate. That last 15 books you look at if you go back to them you should see the same page that you last read. Was a lot of work to do that :)

Now for the other bit. I have just put in a new menu thing that sits in the yellow heading. It allows you to move from issue to issue. It's just launched and I am tidying it all up now... is that what you are seeing ... or are you talking about the navigation on the book??
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

I thought the thing about the last page coming up again was SO cool!  It means I don't have to read it all in one sitting, and acts like a "bookmark".

I've only seen the other thing happen once.  I was 1 or 2 pages in, and clicked "Prev".  Instead of the full cover coming back up, 2 rows of navigation buttons were there, one above the other.  Using the page number buttons and flipping back and forth seemed to fix it.

You know, I feel like, before I'm done, I'm gonna HAVE to teach myself how to upload comics here, so I can "upgrade" the files when I have better scans..  Maybe when my head is less stressed out...

The tricky part here was looking over this section and trying to figure out the most appropriate discussion thread to post this in!    :)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »

Cool! That was the intention ... like if you were in a library or at home and had a book open and then looked at another one ... you still have the first one opened at whatever page so I wanted the site to be like that.

Click on your name at the top left and you should see your recent reads or drop down the red menu on the widget on the right to My Comic Reads.

It works using cookies, so it is what you have viewed on the machine you are using now. And it might be buggy as it was just a nice addition I thought of and haven't fully tested it. Still fun though!!!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:35 AM »

Just so you know your efforts are appreciated!

I still remember when you had to download from this site to read... and for me, EVERY dowenload took multiple tries to work at all.  Now, the downloads are fine... but I don't have to do 'em.  I did download one comic weeks back, JUST before I realized the extent of the site upgrade.  I think I wiped the file afterwards.  The only things I've downloaded lately are covers-- either for reference, or, for restoration, IF I can't find any better ones.

JUST did restorations on the covers of TIM HOLT #2-5, the only ones I never touched before.  All 4 were whoppers from Heritage Auctions (the last one 2,008 pixels wide after rotation & cropping). Next I wanna double-check the clean-ups I did 3 years ago, and post them at my blog as well.

It's nice to know that "last 15 comics" thing.  I did look, and the list is goofy right now, because almost everything on it were books I was looking at for reference, not actually reading (yet).  I've read the first 3 (or was it 4?) issues of TIM HOLT, and am in the middle of A-1 #1 (Kerry Drake).  To tell you the truth, until I'm working steady and can afford new glasses, it's MUCH easier to read online than to read physical comics.  (I'd actually started using a magnifying glass... that ain't right!)

Found quite a few more Frank Bolle covers today!  After all the TIM HOLT and BIBLE STORIES I've done lately, chances are I'll be wanting to tackle those soon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:48:46 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Comix

message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

A warm and hearty Hello to the administrators :-)

I think I
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »

I've realized that the problem I've been having with downloading some files lately is because they have a CBZ extension rather than a CBR extension. I can't seem to find a way to change the extension on my computer so the files will be downloadable. Would it not be possible to have that option when we click download--so we'd be presented with the option of a CBR or a CBZ extension?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »

Ah .. now a .cbz is a zip file and a .cbr is a rar file. They are two completely different file formats.

Renaming the extension would not solve any problems and if anything will make them worse. What you need to do is fix at your end so you can read both formats. Cdisplay is an old and trusted reader
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »

The reader I have, I believe, is CD display. CD display accesses the files on the computer and reads them. I think the problem is with the computer not being able to download the CBZ file. It might be that my PC has gotten too old, I don't know. I'm not a computer wiz--apparently everyone in the world has to be a computer wiz to use these devices. You'd think they'd make it easier.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

Just to add the reason I'm pretty sure it's the computer is because when I try to download the CBZ the operation happens in a split second and the computer says the file has been downloaded. But that file can't be opened. When I download the CBR file, the operation takes about a minute and you can see the computer downloading all of the file.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »

Download 7 Zip for CBZ files, but open & zip program then go to to DIR that file is in then open CBZ and then download. That may work for you. It works for me.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »

That seems to have done the trick, thanks.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »

One problem I had today on my PC as I was trying to save a couple of pages from DAREDEVIL COMICS 24 is that before I could save the page, another page came up and started to load (I think it was from one of the advertisers). This wasn't a pop-up--I have a pop-up blocker on my PC--it just seemed to start loading the new page as soon as my mouse passed over the page I wanted to save. I was eventually able to save the pages I wanted, but I had to be quick on my mouse to do it.

I haven't noticed this problem before, but I'm usually on my Mac. Whereas I use my PC for saving and downloading files.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.