in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,775 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Using an Image for Part of a Commercial Venture

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Using an Image for Part of a Commercial Venture  (Read 2862 times)

Kramer

message icon
Using an Image for Part of a Commercial Venture
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

Well I've just joined and I'm fairly new to this so firstly hi everyone!

What I'm wondering anyway is about the legalities of using particular images as part of a small commercial venture. It will just be some images and they will be modified somewhat (i.e. text). Is this acceptable? I'm also based in the UK so I'm not sure how this best affects things as well.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Using an Image for Part of a Commercial Venture
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

If you are using images that are completely PD then you can do what you want. You may want to avoid some of the UK titles because the UK laws are 70 years after death so that makes it hard to determine. You may not want to use images of characters being used by Dynamite or DC (Fawcett) just in case they want to cause you problems. Anything from most of the companies we have would be fine.
ip icon Logged

Kramer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »

Thanks very much for your reply. At the moment I'm using an image from this comic (which is US I believe): https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=23792

I did send a short email to Avon Romance publishers (as their Avon Comics division is now defunct) asking them how best to proceed. I'm not sure if emailing was entirely necessary though, as they probably wont be all that bothered. I just want to make sure I'm definitely covered before I proceed.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

Avon comics are all fine as none were renewed. From a story that I heard Avon no longer recognizes that they even had a comic book division and has no records.
ip icon Logged

Kramer

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »

Looking at their site I can kind of see why they'd want to put their pulp comic past behind them, what with what appears to be their current focus on Mills and Boon type romances (although I personally prefer a good bit of pulp myself). I guess that's good news for me though!

Thanks again :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.