in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,778 books
 New: 212 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Limits of restoration, cleaning up, etc?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Limits of restoration, cleaning up, etc?  (Read 5259 times)

DaleH

message icon
Limits of restoration, cleaning up, etc?
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »

I'm pretty new here, and VERY new to uploading, and I would like to know - in terms of "cleaning up" a comic - how much is too much? I realize one does not want to alter the basic image, but - as for instance in my recent upload of a Spirit Newspaper section (I have one more to do) - I cleaned the borders outside the continuity boxes completely, de-yellowing de-staining, and clearing any out-of-line color registrations. The images I mainly just brightened, and gave some sharpness to, vis a vis blacks, colors, etc. Added a bit of "pop" as it were, buried under yellowing and dirt. I removed any obvious staining, and tried to make the dialogue balloons as white as possible, same with other obvious whites. This took so damn long for sucha relatively short document, I doubt I would do it again! The collected Hydroman - for instance - (which were not my scans originally) - I pretty much left as they presented themselves, because I didn't even want to start down that road. In general if they are legible and of decent quality, I guess I just let them be?
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Limits of restoration, cleaning up, etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »

Well, I would say that there is no right or wrong. Some people do nothing, others do a lot. It is up to the person doing the scanning and editing. If you are editing for somebody else, then you take how they want it done as a chief consideration.

When presenting a archive, best bet is just leave them be. Some people can get a little touchy with people doing anything with what they scan.
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

Limitations? Where we're going, we don't NEEED......     limitations

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:24:43 PM by cimmerian32 »
ip icon Logged

DaleH

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »

That's what I though basically...however, I have seen comments about some "clean ups" that were fairly rough: "it's a crime!" etc so I thought it best to ask before I continued. The above examples are pretty much what I try to achieve with my own personal cleanings.
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »

Basically, you can't please everybody. What one person thinks looks good another calls a 'crime.' Do it how you want
ip icon Logged

DaleH

message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »

Thanks...I will. Now, would The Spirit look better as a redhead, or with a fauxhawk?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »

Personally I'd love cimmerian32 to remaster all our scans ... I love his work. But also I think they should sit alongside the originals. So there you are 18,000+ comics should keep him quiet for a bit (plus a project I have lined up for him) :)

ip icon Logged

DaleH

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

Cimmerian32 is a better man than I!
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »

Negative, man... I ain't better than anyone else... maybe just a little more OCD and driven.
ip icon Logged

DaleH

message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »

That would be what it takes!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.