in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Poor Downloads

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Poor Downloads  (Read 2914 times)

skc

message icon
Poor Downloads
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

I keep in getting intermittent, incomplete downloads, the latest been
Scarlet_Adventuress_v01n03__1935_10. I get about 64mb of the 73 or so mb and file does not run in Comicrack and when I change to .zip I cannot extract the .jpg's

A number of comics, if they do download correctly, still have big gaps in mb what is supposed to be downloaded and what does, and there are missing pages at the end.

Please rectify as we have no free bandwidth where I live. This only seems to be from your site and is not new as I see similar coplaints on forum as far back as 2010!

Otherwise great site which I hope not to have to abandon!  :(
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Poor Downloads
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »

Hi,

We have 100's of downloads daily so the percentage of people having problems is very low. The problem is that the problem (nice use of two problems) is happening between your machine and our server. The way the internet routes data including how your ISP works I have no control over :(.

What I would suggest (I guess you might have already tried this) is to try a different time of day. Aiming for when it is less busy where you are. As a pure guess I think it might be time related.

Also if you haven't already try downloading files from DCM ... (I agree not much use in the file you cited as they don't host it). Also see if smaller files work ok I bet they do! (not much though)

Regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

Dr. Planet

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »

Almost a week after my last visit to CBP, I find - from my own experience - that the trouble with incomplete downloads remains the same and that it affects to others that give testimony such as skc does it.

By observing the behavior of the discharge flow from CBP - intermittent and unstable - I discover a pattern quite similar to what we see in the discharge flows for free from Rapishare, a commercial cloud service.  :P

The problem is not that Rapidshare give the best service to those who can afford it, but that its practices harm - by overheating - the processor and electrolytic capacitors in the old computers.  >:(

I just hope the CBP server does not harm my computer: It is the only one I have and it is an old warrior to whom I appreciate so much .  :(
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:30:24 PM »

Dr. Planet,

My advice is that to get downloads working you'd be better off living on this planet. With a good internet connection and PC.

I also hope our server does not harm your computer. But how it could do that is a mystery to me.

All the books are on line with the viewer so just enjoy them that way.

Best regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »

Dr.Planet, Mark, after reading the above, I downloaded a book at random.  Man in Black (Harvey)  23mb.  20 seconds for the download and it is available for reading. (Nice Bob Powell art).  Random choice, random time of day, my machine hasn't blown up. :D
ip icon Logged

billybkool

message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

Well, I've been having problems with downloads as well dating back to the one day where downloading functionality was inadvertently disabled:HOWEVER, I'm not trying to connect the event with subsequent bad DLs rather, I'm marking the chronological benchmarks. Old time DLer here (20 years on a multitude of sites and machines) and I believe my issue is bandwidth/speed related. Because of life circumstances I have recently been forced to use my smartphone as my internet gateway which is fine on this site as long as 4G is cranking but when I reach my limit and the carrier throttles my bandwidth down to about 12 - 18 kbps EVERY DL I try gets to about 10.2 mb and shuts down !!!!! Every single one I've tried. I don't have the same problem on other sites so it's not the browser I feel. Let me hasten to say that every slow DL I tried here at the throttled bandwidth successfully finished before that one day where the downloads were accidentally. Not my imagination, fellas. Anyway, I'm fine at 4G but SOL at anything larger than 10 mb since then...weird, huh ? Only happens here. If I want something bad enough now at the end of the month when I'm throttled, I simply save each page and put it in a folder. Normally, I suspect my own hardware first but in this instance I think something changed on the other end. I can live with it...I just note what I want and come back on the first of the month unthrottled. Take care.
ip icon Logged

billybkool

message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »

Tried it again. Downloaded from DCM, Rapidshare, Mediafire,Project Gutenberg, and Internet Archive and everyone was a success. Came back here and tried to DL a new 29 mb file and BAM !....10 mb and it stopped and said it was finished, like all of them do now. Beats the hell out of me,man. Doesn't do it anywhere but here.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »

I've downloaded a couple of things in the last few weeks and have had no problems. In fact, the download is a lot faster than I rememberi it being some months ago.

And it's not like my computer is the latest model--it's about seven years old. Nor am I a technical wizard. Maybe it depends on the server.

My only problem has been that I've had to download the whole book in each case. It's possible I'm just not seeing the right button, but I know I was able to download individual pages in the past.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »

Hi ... your can just right click on the page and the browser will allow you to save it. Otherwise it's download the archive and unzip it. As far as I am aware there was never a single page download function, but I could be proved wrong!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »

You can right click on an image and save image as to get that single page
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »

Yeah duh. I forgot about the right click thing. Sometimes the ol' brain goes on the fritz.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.