in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"My Favourite Funnies" blog

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

topic icon Author Topic: "My Favourite Funnies" blog  (Read 61730 times)

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: "My Favourite Funnies" blog
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »

Before there was Magazine Enterprises, before there was Columbia Comics, there was another publisher that Vin Sullivan worked for--who some CB+ members may never heard of--it was when Vin worked for that early publisher that he put in print a couple of outlandish characters. One was a jolly jumper in gaudy long johns and the other an over-aged trick or treater. Whatever became of them?

Extra: Begin the begin, Vin Sullivan.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »

The latest in my Sisyphean effort, continuing to look at Superman during the Vin Sullivan days.

THE MAN OF STEEL'S EARLY RUN
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »

Loading up the sleigh with some gifts for all the Comic Book Plus kids. You guys are so quiet--it's hard to know what to get you.

Checking my checklist, I've got 11 Elementary Darknight Detectives.

I put in some research on these and added some notes that even the GCD doesn't have. The detail-minded might want to pass on some of this info to the guys over there. In particular, I think the Speed Saunders story in 'TEC 30 is scripted by Gardner Fox--given that the last page of that story features the law office of Fox, Fox & Fox.

And tying in with that 'TEC list is my own issue No. 27 of My Favorite Funnies, THE FIRST DAYS OF THE DARKNIGHT DETECTIVE.

Some of you will want to scroll down to the bottom of that blog post, for My Favourite Finds. This week, I just happened to unearth this little guide from Charlton Comics that tells you everything you want to know about making comics and I knew I had to post some scans to my blog so you Plus ones could see what I found.

Don't be strangers, let me know what you think. And be of good cheer!
ip icon Logged

Slug

message icon
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting blog.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »

Gardner Fox credit added to Det 30 thanks
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »

Wow, that was quick work!
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2016, 01:25:14 AM »

On the fly -- January 11th, 1966. My origin story.

Some stuff about the Batman TV show and other things Vancouver and 1966 related.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2016, 03:23:11 AM »

This was a very interesting bit of autobiography which brought back many memories. My family moved to Washington State (first to Everett, on Puget Sound, then 15 miles inland to Snohomish) around 1960 after Dad retired from the Navy. We'd come from two years in Alabama and two in The Philippines. Having another country just over an hour to the north appealed to our sense of adventure. We visited Vancouver many times over the next seven years. When I left home for college in '67, I'd make it a point to visit Vancouver a couple of times during my summer breaks.

I was something of a Canadaphile as a kid, for very kid-like reasons. I liked the English spellings, which I affected throughout my school career (to my teachers' exasperation). I liked the TV shows, especially Danger Man. I liked how Meteor cars were really Fords with garish centerpieces in their grilles. I liked Stanley Park. When I was an Explorer Scout our post attended the big air show in Abbottsford, a huge thrill.

It baffled me that the majority of my classmates in insular Snohomish (pop. 4100) had never bothered to visit Canada. For that matter, most of them had never left the State. But it went to show America's self-absorbed attitude toward Canada. I learned almost nothing about Our Friendly Neighbor to the North. Other than the French and Indian wars and a brief mention in the "54-40 or fight" chapter, Canada was ignored in our history books. Canadian politics were ignored by everybody. My single brush with Canadian politics was being handed a "Diefendollar" (a fake Canadian dollar bill cut in half) by a protester in Vancouver. This led to the man attempting to explain inflation to me. My 12-year-old brain failed to grasp the concept. And then there was the summer when I visited Vancouver with a college friend who liked to wear a beret. A shopkeeper threw us out because seeing the beret he concluded that Pedro (a Spaniard) was one of those god-damned frogs.

I'd like to visit B.C. again, this time to stay awhile in Vancouver. Maybe some day.

"Time gentlemen please
It's time to drink up your beer
Time gentlemen please
It's time you're no longer here
We've had a few stories and dancing and song
We'll hold hands together as we sing along
We'll be back here next week, so Please come along
For it is time Gentlemen please."
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2016, 06:49:29 AM »

Well, hopefully you'll make it back to Vancouver one of these days.

Now that our dollar is so low--our misfortune is your gain--it should be pretty cheap for Americans.

I'm always interested to see what other people made of my city and those times in the past. Being a kid back then, I don't always remember them so well--but it's the one time in my life that I want to remember better. Because, well, that's when everyone I loved was still alive and young and making my world so good.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »

On my minim page .007 The Duel of the Super-Duo and the sub spoiler page, I took a stab at identifying some of the artists that did the ads in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS No. 163 (December '66).

I've been wondering about those ad pages for some 50 years and I'm not really sure which writers and artists worked on them. So if anyone has more information, I hope they'll set me straight.

One half page that I couldn't identify was the Kat from AMT--this is one of those I always found quite odd and more info would be welcome.
ip icon Logged

hasan459

message icon
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »

its really very funny blog and blog interface look like a comic book
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.