in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

what is the text font used in comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: what is the text font used in comics  (Read 4161 times)

maryjane

message icon
what is the text font used in comics
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »

hi
i want to be able to edit the text in the comics but have no idea what the font is called. seems the font style is basically the same one used in the 50's and 60's.

i searched comic fonts but there are way to many to sort thru.

does any one know what the font name is or where i can download it?

thanks for your help.
maryjane
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: what is the text font used in comics
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »

It depends what text you're editing. If it's text for text pages, I believe those were type-set or maybe simply done on a typewriter.

Most comic book stories were hand-lettered and each letterer had his or her own style.

Other comics were lettered using a letter set template. The letters for EC comics look like the letter set I used when I did a cartography course back in the 80s.

I'm sure that some of these can be matched to commercially available computer fonts. Some comic book letterers sell their own font sets.

If you're a computer whiz, it should be possible to make your own font set by sampling the letters from the comic book pages and building a set. But it will only look approximately the same.

The great thing about hand-lettering was that it was done by hand. A computer program can't do that.
ip icon Logged

Comix

message icon
Re: what is the text font used in comics
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »

Hi,

if you need to know what font was used go further down the page of comic of your inerest. there is an "additional information" panel. Go down to credits, where you find info to the lettering, pecils, inking and such.

If you find a font on the net, be sure to read the licence. Not all fonts are free to use for everything. This may not be an issue when making a birthday card for a friend or relative, but might cause problems when published on the net or larger comunity (e.g. book).

As to making your own font can be done by various methods and can be a lot of fun, but can also be somewhat time consuming. So you have to decide if your project is worth investing the time. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.