in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Scanning Tutorial

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Scanning Tutorial  (Read 31284 times)

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Scanning Tutorial
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »

This information is from the Z-Cult (our sister site), but I thought I would post it up for all here since we get a lot of questions about this subject. Here's part 1:

Scanning Materials

For the purpose of this tutorial, you will need:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:01:37 PM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
Re: Scanning Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

Part 2 of the Scanning Tutorial:

The Cover

The approach to editing the cover, is generally different than editing the interior pages, as the quality of the paper used is better, and produces more vibrant colors. Since this will be the first thing that people will see when viewing your scan, it will be best to produce a similar type of quality.

1.   While the image is selected, go to IMAGE, then to ADJUSTMENTS, and select LEVELS. A new window will appear. (This can also be done by keyboard shortcut: CTRL + L)   
   2.   On the right side of the LEVELS window, you will see 3 eyedropper tools. Select the first one, locate a black area on the image and click. (You can select as many areas as you wish, but only the last one you clicked on will be chosen)   
   3.   Now, select the third eyedropper, locate a white area, and click. Make sure the area you choose is the whitest part of the page. If there are off-white or yellowish spots, select within those areas, or between them to find the better white area.   
   4.   Close the LEVELS window.   
   5.   Go to IMAGE, then ADJUSTMENTS, and select HUE / SATURATION. (This can also be done by keyboard shortcut: CTRL + U). Another window will appear.   
   6.   Choose a SATURATION level of 30. This will bring out the colors on the image, making it more vibrant. You may wish to adjust the level according to your preference, as this is your scan, and you are editing according to your standards.

The Interior Pages

The steps to editing interior pages of your comic are the same as those taken while editing the cover, with one small exception. For STEP 6, instead of selecting a SATURATION level of 30, using a level between 15 and 20, for best results.

This is, of course, at your discretion, and again, you may wish to play with the level until you are happy with the final result.

NOTE: While these steps are the simplest and easiest ways to get good results, there are other tools that you can use at anytime during the editing process, which may be beneficial towards producing a better final result. There are, and will be times, when these tools will become necessary, depending greatly on the quality of the comic book and the paper that you are scanning and editing, to produce a better and more acceptable result. These tools are outlined below.

Despeckle

DESPECKLE is a noise reduction filter which is used to provide a more detailed look to your image. Not all scanners use this tool, but there are some that do, for various reasons. But, if you feel the image is either too smooth, or too blurry, then DESPECKLE may be a viable option to give your image a more satisfying look.

DESPECKLE is accessible via the FILTER menu, under the NOISE submenu. There is no standard level to use, as every image you encounter, where you determine DESPECKLE needs to be applied, is different, some being more severe than others. As always, play with the levels until you are happy with the results.

Generally, DESPECKLE is used prior to using another helpful tool
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

Part 3 of the Scanning Tutorial:

Resizing The Image

The next step is to resize the image by going to Image, then Image Size. Keep the resolution the same as you scanned for better results. Although previous guidelines called for adjusting the resolution from 300dpi down to 150dpi, many scanners choose to keep the resolution at 300dpi these days. If you choose to adjust the size to 150dpi, then ensure that this is done prior to resizing the image.

Now, go ahead and adjust the width, fix it to 1024 pixels. What this does is it lowers the image size, and then fixes the width so that people with 1024x768 monitors (the most common resolution) will see it at full screen.

NOTE: If you chose to adjust the resolution, this is needed first because, if you fix the width first, changing the resolution will alter the width. So this really just saves you a step.

Covers are a different story, as some scanners have begun using 1280 width for covers of higher quality colors. The choice is yours, as to whether you make it 1024 or 1280. But, remember that the composition and richness of the image is indeed proportional to the final JPEG file size, as complex images will generally yield bigger file sizes.

NOTE: Some Scanners choose to add their tag (scanner name) to the covers. If you choose to do this, then it will need to be done before moving onto the next step. Usually, this is done as a small text somewhere obscure, like on the UPC code, or even a small image. But be careful as to not disturb the overall cover with your tag, as some people do get offended if the covers are interfered with in too visible a manner. But it
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Scanning FICHE Tutorial
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »

For some suggestions on scanning fiche here's a text file created by noted scanner Rolster.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

capnted

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »

Great program for HQ batch processing. Total time-saver if you pay attention to scanning carefully and have a hand at accurate marqueeing during the scanning process. I use Photoshop professionally, but this resizer/editor makes it a snap with batch resizing, and other adjustments like brightness with contrast (the really important thing). Preview modes, superlative processing methods, etc.

It's free and the best batch processi i've ever used, get it on download.com, FastStone Image Resizer
ip icon Logged

Tony42

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »

Oh cool, thanks for all that tutorial.

I already knew some tricks because I scan for a long time and I made many searches but here it's really complete and well explained.

Nice job.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

This tutorial is why I don't bother scanning the few comics I have that aren't on CB+ already. I was going to, awhile ago, but then I read the tutorial and I realized there's no way I'd ever be able to meet those standards with the technology and skills I have.
ip icon Logged

Mark Braun

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »

Hi Jimmy:

Tis simple: Scan at 150 dpi and collect pages as stuffed or zipped. THEN, just change the acronym to CBR or CBZ. 

But do look for a setting to take screens out.

And that, my friend, is a simple comic scan. Have no fear, just do it!!!

300 dpi is really for printing as on a press. BUT, if you think you have a rare book, don't screw with retouching or anything: Scan at 300 and go. Bigger file? Yes; Easier to clean up? Very.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.