in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Uploading problems

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Uploading problems  (Read 4491 times)

oldtimer

message icon
Uploading problems
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »

I have uploaded successfully 4 small items, the largest being about 14Mb all in zip format. I have been trying with out success to upload a number of other larger files in the sames format , the smallest being 58MB,but after a while of uploading a files I get the white screen. I have rescanned in 150dpi instead of 300dpi to reduce file size but to no avail. can anyone advise as I have a number of files:-
Forbidden Worlds No.2 (UK) -  Funnies albums (GGSwan) 1949, 1954 & 1955 - Cute Fun Albums (GGSwan) 1953 & 1955 - Ace book of comics (Odhams) 1950's _ last issue of Top Spot plus many other items I wish to share.
Has anyone had the same problem? Have you solved it? If so can you give me advise to solve mine.

Oldtimer
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Uploading problems
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

As best as I understand, it is not a problem with the site. I will have the same problem with larger files. Best way around is to upload via the ftp.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »

Oldtimer, like movielover says, there is a problem when uploading bigger files. I was gwtting this a lot when I started and Mark got me using ftp, which was a complete mystery to me at the time.  Hang on and we'll see what help Mark can suggest.  I'd love to see those Swan books on site.
ip icon Logged

oldtimer

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

Thanks for feedback, sad that I am not a clue about ftp.
I have just uploaded Forbidden Worlds No.2 (UK) in two parts and scanned at 150dpi, the files uploaded and got the site confirmation and pressed the required button again got confirmation. The files were approx 25MB each. Will have a go at scanning and uploading the strips from 1953 GG Swan's Cute Fun. If this works will follow on with the rest.

Oldtimer
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:40 PM »

There is a problem and it is time related. After a certain length of time the upload fails. A bigger file takes longer. It is not actually a file size limit. We have just had a recent internet access upgrade and my upload speeds are massively faster than they were and I can now upload any sized file. So that proves what is going on.

I have upped all the time limits I can but I believe our provider is overriding them. So that is why some people have problems and others don't. I will set you up with an FTP account .... it is very simple ... give me a day or so ... my todo list is just not going down :(
ip icon Logged

oldtimer

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

Thanks Mark, while  I wait I will carry on scanning.
Oldtimer
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

Guys you missed an important point. His books had to be approved to show up so there was not glitch. I approved the Forbidden Worlds and they are not onsite. So upload away oldtimer and thanks.
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

The white screen has nothing to do with approval, it has to do with size or time spent. For me, I get the white screen at about 60-65mbs, so the largest files I use ftp and smaller I use the upload option.

The files he uploaded (Forbidden Worlds) didn't have a problem because he scanned at a lower resolution and split the book.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »

I was reading it as he thought the Forbidden Worlds 2 did not go through
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

As I said it depends on upload times and I'll be honest is the one DAMN THING that I can't fix ... I am 99% sure it is an override by our website hosting company ... and I try to comfort myself with the fact this will be an ever diminishing problem as over time everyones speeds will increase (over years and yeh right :()
ip icon Logged

oldtimer

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »

Despite my upload problems have managed to upload two GG Swan Albums, Cute Fun 1953 strips only and Cute Fun 1955 strips only. Hope everyone enjoys them.

oldtimer

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »

Thanks oldtimer.  Excellent additions to the site.  At last I have a Bat strip.  And I always wondered where Mr. Apollo appeared as the only thing I had up to now was a bad photocopy.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

thanks a lot oldtimerr
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.