in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,066 books
 New: 210 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Oldtimer lifetime obsession with comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Oldtimer lifetime obsession with comics  (Read 1529 times)

oldtimer

message icon
Oldtimer lifetime obsession with comics
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »

I was born in 1943 and was introduced to comics by an older brother and two older sisters. Earliest recall of comics was Radio Fun, Film Fun and Knockout. I started school already able to read thanks to my brother and sisters and comics. My own first weekly comic was the Sun and my best friend had the Comet which we exchanged thereby getting two for the price of one. My brother began buying Eagle from issue One and reluctantly let me read it. When Lion began publication in 1952 that became my weekly comic. Pocket money treats were Miller reprints of Fawcett comics with my favorite being Captain Marvel. Sad to say when I started work as an engineering apprentice in 1958 I bought Top Spot and continued buying it till it merged into Film Fun. Although I have continued to buy comics I have tended to look for old ones particularly UK ones. I have recently sold off a large part of my collection but have kept items that although discoloured and dogeared I still prize.

I do have dislikes, Charlton comics, other than the Fawcett ones they took over, I find them badly produced and dull. A lot the Marvel range which I feel tend to be more style than substance.

Comic Book Plus lets me visit old favourites and discover gems that I missed, long may it continue.

Oldtimer
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Oldtimer lifetime obsession with comics
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »

Excellent stuff, Oldtimer. There are a few of us now on CB+ who recall those old British comics.  While I saw some of them when I was at the barber - I'm 6 years younger than you - I wasn't allowed many comics but read Marvelman, those odd British Tarzan reprints and occasional issues of the pocket libraries which a pal had.  But my granny persuaded my parents to let her buy me the Beezer and The Victor every week.  There was a newsagent in Airdrie which now and then had some Australian comics and I remember getting into trouble for buying one of them.  It was a gangster comic and cost more than the usual British ones.
It's only in the last 10 - 15 years that I have amassed a small collection of Radio Fun (mainly for the costumed Falcon, at first, but now I enjoy many of the humour strips.) and piles off pocket libraries.  The few Swans I have are now on site. Oddly enough, I didn't remember Top Spot and it was good to discover it on the site.
We do differ also in that I always liked Charlton.  There was something different about them - mainly the poor paper, trimming and the off-register colours but I love their Blue Beetle (all the series), Thunderbolt, Phantom and much more.  Don't start me on Marvel, although I was a big fan of the early Spiderman, Cap. America, Iron Man and Avengers.

So good to read your entry.  Thanks.

Modifying this to add that there is a site where you can read/download 3 issues of The Bunty
http://www.beeworld.net.au/bunty.htm
And, although much later, you can read examples of Misty here:-
http://www.mistycomic.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:31:38 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

John Hamer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »

I remember the Radio and Film fun comics I am not keen on American comics I love reading  the storypapers of 80 years ago yours John hamer
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »

We have something for everyone John enjoy the story papers
ip icon Logged

paxman53

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »

John, I too enjoy the Story Papers. My passion for them started when I was about 9 or 10 back in the early 60
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.