in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Missing credits in Marvel's Soap Opera and Humor titles

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Missing credits in Marvel's Soap Opera and Humor titles  (Read 1819 times)

nick caputo

message icon
Missing credits in Marvel's Soap Opera and Humor titles
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »

My latest blog post delves into some of the uncredited inking on titles such as Millie the Model and Patsy Walker, with some surprises along the way:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Missing credits in Marvel's Soap Opera and Humor titles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »

Interesting stuff. I was wondering about this when I used the one issue of PATSY AND HEDY that I have for my blog on paper dolls. I used the credits that are in the comic for Al Hartley. But looking at the inks, I wondered if those were really his--not being familiar with Hartley, I couldn't really say, but the style seemed Colletta-ish.

I guess these kinds of books are on the line between Romance and Humour. Or maybe they should be in another genre of Fashion. But I'm reminded of something I read in an interview with Bob Oksner, many years ago, where he said he had to change his inking style when he went back into super-heroes, from doing humour for many years. On the humour books he used thick line work, but he had to change to a thinner line for he super-hero stuff.

For these humour/romance/fashion comics, I think a thicker line works better. You really want the figures to stand out on the page.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »

I always thought of Millie,etc in the same vein as Archie being teen titles. But they really aren't teen agers. GCD seems to just class them as humor. I agree that humor/romance would probably be more accurate for most.
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »

Thanks for the interest Jimmm and Narfstar. The Millie and Patsy comics began as humor strips and then moved to more dramatic, soap opera style stories in the 1960's, with emphasis on continuing storylines, romantic problems and school and careers. In the late 1960s they reverted to the Archie style humor, but overall the humor appeared to be more popular in the long run (although I found some of the dramatic stories to be interesting).

I'll have a follow up blog post soon.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.