in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,776 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Rules for the Download Site

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Rules for the Download Site  (Read 38852 times)

GoldenAgeComics.co.uk

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: GoldenAgeComics.co.uk
message icon
Rules for the Download Site
« on: November 04, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »

Note:
We are a modest site, so there are not many rules currently and we hope it stays like this. As time goes on problems will occur and we have to create new rules and enforce them. Users be mindful of  this thread, as failing to follow these few simple rules will risk in your accounts being warned or worse case deleted/banned from the system without comment.

Rule 1: No Multiple Accounts
The system is set up so a user can register and download files via their account. Each account is given a certain amount of bandwidth to download each month. If users are found with unauthorized multiple accounts, such accounts will be subject to banning without comment.

The reason for this rule is that we are a non-profit website supported by our users. Currently if we were to let everyone have unlimited downloads the site would ultimately close down due to the strain and this is why we have to regulate how much everyone can download. To the folks with more than one account (which is totally unnecessary), we will detect you! You are risking this site's well being, thus you are most unwelcomed here and could find yourselves banned permanently from the site.

If you want an account with unlimited download bandwidth then please either support the site/servers with a donation or help our here by uploading files to us.

Rule 2: File upload types
When uploading files to the website we ask you try to only upload files with the following extensions: .rar/.cbr, .zip/.cbz, jpg

The reason we ask this is that we DO NOT support PDF files as they are normally lower quality images compared to cbr/cbz files. CBz/r files can be opened straight away with a comic book reader software and display high quality images. Users are then able to unzip/rar the files and use the images for their own personal use, unlike PDF files where they are protected.

If you require any help making digital comics please ask for help in the support room.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
Re: Rules for the Download Site
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:24:22 PM »

Rule 3 Mailinator.com/.info accounts/Disposable e-mail address providers, etc.
The download site we provide is totally free and by using it you agree to follow our small account of rules and use the site as we have set it out. Due to this I have decided delete all download accounts that were registered using the email addy: mailinator.com

The reason? Well since we are a free site and we DO NOT spam there is no need for you to set up fake accounts to register one or more accounts. First the user who today registered 7 accounts under different email addy's is the small group of people who are using too much of our bandwidth and risking the future of this account.

The reason we ask you provide a valid email addy is so we can try and control how many accounts you have and also if we ever have problems or change url's etc its useful to have a valid email addy to send you one email to inform you. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to access this great site.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:57:43 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

John Hamer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »

What comic book software would you reccomend to use
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:47:51 AM »

Hello John,
To read comics on my computer, I use a couple of little progs. 
CDisplay
http://www.cdisplay.me/
http://www.cdisplayex.com/
Gonvisor
http://www.gonvisor.com/

There are others for computers and mobile devices and with any luck, someone will point you in their direction but those above work and are easy to use.

Good luck, enjoy the comics and post your thoughts on anything re comics on the forum.
ip icon Logged

pterandon

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »

I want them all!  ;) What is the download limit?
(I can respect your philosophy about torrents, but it would be nice if there were a way to grab a few hundred of the best in a way that didn't cost you in terms of bandwidth.)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 02:26:41 AM »

Even torrents take bandwidth. Our limit is a five minute wait between downloads.
ip icon Logged

CMRutherford

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: CMRutherford
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43:56 AM »

Thank you for posting Viewers. I am new to the site and cbz files, so this was very helpful.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

Welcome CMR let us know if you need any help
ip icon Logged

Roghaz

message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »

Hello. I registered last night and downloaded one comic today, but found that the downloaded file will not open. I use an iMac, OS 10.6.8. Any advice? Are the downloads for windows only?

I love the site, by the way, and am fascinated to read the many books I've never seen before and, hopefully, look forward to downloading some. Thanks for making this resource available.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »

Hi Roghaz,

This link should sort you out, until you buy a proper PC :)

https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php/topic,5145.msg39479.html

Regards,

Mark

ip icon Logged

Roghaz

message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »

Hi Mark,

Thank's for the info. I installed Simple Comic and now I can read the first download, Frazetta's "Thunda", with no problem - and I didn't even have to buy a "proper PC".

Regards,
Roghaz
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »

Cool lol :)
ip icon Logged

gnk

message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

Thanks for managing this wonderful site and by reading this post I understand that the wait between the downloads is 5 minutes. Am I correct.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »

Even us admin have to wait
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »

It is down to two minutes now and narfstar is correct the same rule applies to everyone admins included. So we all share the same pain :)
ip icon Logged

CryMeARiver

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: CryMeARiver
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »

READ THIS: http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2234.msg25664.html#msg25664

The above link is broken.

With respect to the two minute wait between downloads. Is this enforced server side? Is there a queueing system? I'm currently watching the clock so I don't accidentally break the rules. Is there a better way to do this? Download scheduler?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »

That link was from 2006 so probably not surprising that at some point in the last 7+ years it became deceased. I have now got rid of it.

Don't worry you won't get hit with a stick or in fact any other object if you go early for a file.

Also shhhhhhhh, a big secret just between you and me,  the limit has been set at just a minute for a month or so ... but we haven't told anybody :)
ip icon Logged

chuck6161

message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »

Hi, I'm new to this site, absolutely love it but I need some help. Can I download on my ipad? If not and I need to download on PC, can I then transfer to the ipad to read?
ip icon Logged

meteorman69

message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »

What comic book software would you reccomend to use

Some time has passed since this inquiry, but as of today October 2014 I use either Simple Comic or Ehon on my Mac. I prefer Simple Comic.
ip icon Logged

Barcenas

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Barcenas
message icon
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »

Just became a member and can't wait to enjoy.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

Hello Barcenas and welcome to CB+.  So much to read and discover and I'm sure you'll always find something new.  Good to have you here.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »

Hello  :)

I can download a few comics and then have to wait a little while and I thought: Why? Why is 'Comic Book Plus' so angry :'( with me ;D and doesn't let me download to my heart's content?  ;)

Now I read this thread and know why. It wasn't clear to me, that the site could collapse, if too many fans download too many comic at once.

Thanks for this great site and the possibility, to read and download this old comics.  :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:00:30 PM by comickraut »
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »

Hello :)

I have some questions about uploading:

1. How and where can I upload here?

2. I have some old public-domain U.S. Comics, that are not yet available here, I downloaded them legally from "archive.org". Can I get this comics upload here, or isn't that welcome? Of course, I would indicate, where the comic came from. :)

3. This Comics, that do not yet exist here, are in pdf-format.

4. If I get comics in pdf-format, I extract the jpg-files from the pdf-file and create a cbz-file.

5. Pdf-files are often not of bad quality, often even surprisingly high quality, for example: 'Captain Aero No. 2 'as a pdf-file, has a file size of 36 MB, I extracted the jpg-files and the 69 pages had a total size of 2.2 GB !! This is too much, to simply convert it to a cbz-file, so I shrink the jpg-files, the exact way is as follows:

- I extract the original pictures with 'PDF-X-Change-Viewer'.
- I shrink the individual jpg-files with 'IrfanView', luckily by batch processing. :D
- I package the reduced jpg-files with '7zip' into a cbz-file.

This creates a cbz-file from 'Capt. Aero No. 2' in a very good image quality, with a file size of only 94 MB.

If it is desired and okay, I would upload the comics here, after I have edited them, please just let me know. :)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:31:53 AM by comickraut »
ip icon Logged

qazwiz

message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »

Even torrents take bandwidth. Our limit is a five minute wait between downloads.

I understand that a torrent has info embedded that uses bandwidth... but so does this forum...
how much is ok?
would deb4382942abdb5e4b73bc84719f36f1b6eac302 be ok?
because that's all i need to download "Cheaper by the Dozen" (1950) a 1.6 Gigabyte file (a movie from 1950)

now, as an expert in BitTorrent usage I can paste that hash into almost any BitTorrent client and eventually it will download (assuming someone is seeding it, as I am seeding it i can say this hash works)

for anyone who has had their BitTorrent client registered to recognize magnet hashes then
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:deb4382942abdb5e4b73bc84719f36f1b6eac302
is all you need to get that aforementioned file.... just paste into Firefox http:etc-etc-etc-etc spot and the registered client will be opened when Firefox sees the magnet:?xt=urn:btih:{[whatever hash number]}

(and no you don't HAVE to use Firefox but given all the Windows Explorer security exploits that Micro$hit refuses to patch calling them "features", i truly question the sanity of anyone who still uses Explorer or any other Micro$hit product)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 11:24:55 AM »

Hi qazwiz. The quote from narfstar is somewhat out of date so I'd suggest one download at a time and don't try torrent stuff.  If any other admins know more about this, please post. I have a huge digital library of comics and downloading from CB+ nowadays isn't a problem.  And if it's something I really want to read or study, a few seconds to download before going for the next one is not a hassle.
As for the movie, it's available on youtube:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hWPEKuZbLk
Probably not the quality you might get via a torrent but for something like this why would you want HD?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.