in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,781 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Werner Roth, Herb Trimpe, Kid Colt and FF Big Little Book

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Werner Roth, Herb Trimpe, Kid Colt and FF Big Little Book  (Read 1688 times)

nick caputo

message icon
Werner Roth, Herb Trimpe, Kid Colt and FF Big Little Book
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »

Two posts this week: the team of WErner Roth and Herb Trimpe on Kid Colt, and Trimpe's ucredited work on the FF Big Little Book from 1968:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Werner Roth, Herb Trimpe, Kid Colt and FF Big Little Book
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »

I got that Fantastic Four Big Little Book as a present (birthday? Christmas? Easter? can't remember), but I was so against Marvel that I traded it for another book--whether I traded it with my siblings (who also got BLBs, so Easter or Christmas seems more likely), I'm not sure--I don't think any of them would have wanted it, so maybe some other kind of horse trading was involved.

The three BLBs that I do retain are Batman, Dick Tracy and Woody Woodpecker all looking the worse for wear--because I enjoyed the heck out of them. The Woody Woodpecker one in particular--it was everything I've ever wanted in a story--and I think that's the one that I got to replace the FF. So if that's the case--and I'd like to believe it was--then it was worth it in the end.

However, if I had kept the FF book, it's probable that I would have barely touched it and it would still be in pristine condition now. So there you go. That seems to be the case with most of my books--the ones I loved suffered for my affection--while those I loathed are still dressed up like they're ready for Sunday school.

What bugs me is that no matter how old I get and how much I openly declare my love for certain comics over others, nobody in my family ever seems to take that in and I'm continuously getting useless Marvel gifts for Christmas and birthdays. It's like my family doesn't even know who I am.

[Not that I hate Marvel--just that I attach no sentimental value to Marvel mementos.]
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »

I wonder if the situation is less that your family don't know you than it is they simply don't know comics. Just about every non-fan I meet hears "comics" and immediately thinks "Marvel" because Marvel have been so successful in promoting their name along with their characters. I mean, people know DC heroes like Superman and Batman but they don't know "DC." Unlike DC Marvel have prominently displayed their company name on every non-comic product for the last forty years. You're the victim of mass marketing!
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »

Probably. It's one of those difficult situations--family dynamics being what they are, I feel petty even grumbling about it (and just keep mum when I get these presents). On the one hand they've made the effort to get something that's close to what I would want, but on the other hand it's not really something I want. A Captain America Christmas tree ornament shows that they made an effort, but a Superman would look so much better on my tree.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.