in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,017 books
 New: 161 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Download issues

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Download issues  (Read 3256 times)

lrek

message icon
Download issues
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:02:38 AM »

Tonight some comics downloaded just fine, but others quit before the complete file is acquired. This has not occurred on previous visits.

For example, I had no trouble with Space War 4, but could not get Green Hornet 7 or 13.

I have no trouble at all with files at DCM, so it's not my browser, ISP, download speed, and so forth. I do use NoScript, but I made sure to temporarily accept all scripts, so that's not it either. When I change the extension and try to unzip, it fails.

I'm using Firefox 25 for the Mac. I notice that when I monitor the download, the browser does not know how large the file is (not so at DCM). This may explain why it thinks it's finished before it is, but the same was true of Space War 4 and it came down just fine.

I'm going to log out and test on Safari.
ip icon Logged

lrek

message icon
Re: Download issues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:30:44 AM »

I
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:34:15 AM by lrek »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »

My problem with trying to help you is simply that I know nothing about Mac.  However, I downloaded a small pile of books yesterday.  They all came down quickly and perfectly.  I also use no script and it does not interfere with downloads from cb+ or dcm, or other sites for that matter.  I do sometimes notice that a download from here does not show the total size of file only the progress of the download.  I believe Mark has been doing some techy stuff this weekend, might have something to do with it, although it did not interfere with my activities on the site.  Hopefully some of the others will have some more intelligent suggestions for you.  Sorry.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »

No the stuff i was messing woth was just adding more space for the viewer I was no where near downloads.

I would guess that there was a machine somewhere between you and us that was/is misbehaving. Plus I guess that there might be some cahching issues. IE: "file a" works fine ... "file b" fails but leaves something lying around that trips you up again.

I would suggest clicking on your name at  the top ... choose the clearing cookies bit (it only removes them for CB+) and log back on again. It might fix it ... if not well at least we tried summat :)

Report back please

Regards

Mark
ip icon Logged

lrek

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »

No, still not working for me. A couple of questions, though:

Has anyone tried downloading Green Hornet No. 7 recently? It still died at 16 MB as before.

When you download, does your browser know how big the target file is?

I don't think the fact that I'm on a Mac should matter. For one thing, I have not had this problem here before. For another, I was able to get some comics but not others. And finally, all of the relevant code should be cross-platform anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Ill try tomorrow on my Windows machine at work and let you know.
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »

Just downloaded GH7 with no issues
ip icon Logged

lrek

message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:01 AM »

I was able to download on my work Windows machine successfully.

Maybe it's a security setting in my browser or OS. It would have to be a recent change, though, since I haven't had any trouble in the past.

I'll keep trying.
ip icon Logged

lrek

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »

...aaaaand now everything's working fine on my Mac again.

Go figure.
ip icon Logged

lrek

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »

...aaaaand now it's stopped working. Did 2 comics this AM and the 3rd one crapped out.

Interesting to note that the latest failed DL stopped at 16.6 MB -- exactly the same place the other failed.
ip icon Logged

bfotk

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »

I just registered.  Downloaded The Saint #1.  No problem.  Really looks good on a Vizio tablet via Comic Rack (android).  Then I downloaded Whack #1 3d and Master #80.

At that point Comic Rack stopped working totally.  I installed Comics Reader and it worked...for The Saint.  The others didn't even show and they are all in the same folder.

Then I installed Komik Reader and the Whack and Master show, but no thumbnails and a message like "Is there something wrong with this file?" when I try to open them.

Obviously I wouldn't know if there's something wrong with the file or not.  Can anyone assure me that I just happened to try a couple of crudded up files?

Or should I use a different android reader app?  I saw good reports on Comic Viewer (from Robot Comics).

By the way, I don't mind paying for the app, but I sure as hell won't shell out even a penny for the paid app if the free one has issues.  It seems to me that the same issues may well exist in the paid app.
ip icon Logged

bfotk

message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »

I'm slowly solving my own problem.  Working from a Windows desktop computer, I just downloaded and read Master #80.  Whack #1 is now downloading and I'm betting that it will be just fine.  I'm noting that the downloads are taking MUCH longer than the on the Android tablet which seemed to download in various seconds.  Apparently the download manager on that didn't work out well.

I'll probably stick with downloading via Windows and then transferring the files to the tablet for portable "comic-like" reading.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »

I've found that it is always best to download to my pc and transfer files to my tablet.  I still have some problems trying to download direct to a tablet.  As for an android reader, I've been using perfect viewer, available from the google store, and it works fine.  I use a Samsung tablet. Slightly concerned that your downloads are taking so long.  I am perhaps fortunate that I have quite fast broadband and if you don't, that might be part of the problem.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.